Apple TV in Chiang Mai

sharktooth

Apple TV is a device that I mainly use for streaming my movies from my computer to my TV in another room without the need for unsightly cables. i used to put them on a memory stick then insert that into the TV. I love mine, i have a few thousand movies and like to take a look at one, then possibly move on to another if it does not look like something i'd be interested in at the moment. there are other brands that do this, but i doubt none that do it so elegantly as Apple does.

• Like 1

You can stream everything you could need from Internet without one,

just connect your computer to your tv.

regards Worgeordie

As others have mentioned I use an Apple TV for purchasing television series and movies. With that in mind I am not understanding what you mean by saying you can get everything you need from the internet. As someone from the US, I find that nothing of interest, other than youtube videos from the US can be obtained via streaming through the internet.

What kinds of television shows and sporting events can you stream without having to pay for them?

P.S. Last year I did try out HideMyAss but that, for me at least, was overly complex and beyond my technical capabilities.

Thanks.

Edited by SpokaneAl

Apple TV is a device that I mainly use for streaming my movies from my computer to my TV in another room without the need for unsightly cables. i used to put them on a memory stick then insert that into the TV. I love mine, i have a few thousand movies and like to take a look at one, then possibly move on to another if it does not look like something i'd be interested in at the moment. there are other brands that do this, but i doubt none that do it so elegantly as Apple does.

Elegantly: Requiring a computer to do the streaming?

I'd rather have something I can plug a memory stick or hard drive into.

Elegantly: Requiring a computer to do the streaming?

I'd rather have something I can plug a memory stick or hard drive into.

Most current production flat panel TVs have a USB input that gives you that functionality without using an external media player/streamer. Many DVD and bluray players do as well.

The thing about Apple TV that seems inelegant to me is that, unlike the WDTV devices, it cannot play MKV video files or FLAC audio files.

Edited by AngelsLariat
  • Like 1

regards Worgeordie

As others have mentioned I use an Apple TV for purchasing television series and movies. With that in mind I am not understanding what you mean by saying you can get everything you need from the internet. As someone from the US, I find that nothing of interest, other than youtube videos from the US can be obtained via streaming through the internet.

What kinds of television shows and sporting events can you stream without having to pay for them?

P.S. Last year I did try out HideMyAss but that, for me at least, was overly complex and beyond my technical capabilities.

Thanks.

Does Apple TV let you stream those television shows and sporting events live and without a VPN? If so, yes that sounds great.

Though I'm not sure exactly what worgerdie was referring to, most US TV shows can be downloaded by torrents within a couple of hours of airing or can be purchased legitimately from Amazon.com. Those can be played on almost any computer with the correct software. However to purchase content legitimately from Amazon you need to run a VPN to trick Amazon thinking that you are located withing the USA.

Edited by AngelsLariat

regards Worgeordie

As others have mentioned I use an Apple TV for purchasing television series and movies.  With that in mind I am not understanding what you mean by saying you can get everything you need from the internet.  As someone from the US, I find that nothing of interest, other than youtube videos from the US can be obtained via streaming through the internet. 

P.S.  Last year I did try out HideMyAss but that, for me at least, was overly complex and beyond my technical capabilities.

Thanks. 

Does Apple TV let you stream those television shows and sporting events live and without a VPN?  If so, yes that sounds great. 

Though I'm not sure exactly what worgerdie was referring to, most US TV shows can be downloaded by torrents within a couple of hours of airing or can be purchased legitimately from Amazon.com.  Those can be played on almost any computer with the correct software.  However to purchase content legitimately from Amazon you need to run a VPN to trick Amazon thinking that you are located withing the USA.

I can purchase TV shows and movies via iTunes and easily stream them to my TV without a VPN. I can also purchase sports packages like Nfl games direct from the the NFL without a VPN. I am a True Vision user, which takes care of all of my viewing needs (except of course for the final Breaking Bad shows which I purchased on iTunes). I was just thinking perhaps there was another option that I had missed.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

regards Worgeordie

Thanks.

Does Apple TV let you stream those television shows and sporting events live and without a VPN? If so, yes that sounds great.

Though I'm not sure exactly what worgerdie was referring to, most US TV shows can be downloaded by torrents within a couple of hours of airing or can be purchased legitimately from Amazon.com. Those can be played on almost any computer with the correct software. However to purchase content legitimately from Amazon you need to run a VPN to trick Amazon thinking that you are located withing the USA.

I can purchase TV shows and movies via iTunes and easily stream them to my TV without a VPN. I can also purchase sports packages like Nfl games direct from the the NFL without a VPN. I am a True Vision user, which takes care of all of my viewing needs (except of course for the final Breaking Bad shows which I purchased on iTunes). I was just thinking perhaps there was another option that I had missed.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But iTunes and NFL Gamepass can also be used on any PC, so it would seem that running a HDMI cable from a laptop PC to a TV would give the same functionality plus be able to do things such as play MKV files and play other content off of a USB drive.

I don't know much about anything, let alone technology. That said, a few years back when I retired after being a long time PC user, I moved away from PCs and towers etc to become an all Apple user. I like that I can, via the Apple TV, wirelessly and easily stream content from my MacBook Pro, iPad and/or iPhone to our television - without the need to run HDMI cables across the room. Additionally, everything syncs together nicely and I remain impressed with the elegant (yes there is that word) way that it all works, looks and feels. Color me a Jobs fanboy if you like, but I will admit that I admire and appreciate the design of Apple's system and product, and yes I suppose that does pull me further and further, albeit willingly, into the grasp of the Apple machine.

So back to the OPs original question - I own an Apple TV and like it a lot.

Peace brothers and sisters.

Edited by SpokaneAl

Apple TV. Got it. Love it.

Stream Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO GO, news, sports, weather, music and tons more..... and of course you can buy entertainment from iTunes.

You can also download movies and entertainment from your favorite torrent and stream it from your computer to the TV wirelessly through Apple TV.

Of course you can do all this stuff with memory sticks, cables from your computer etc... but at only 99bucks for an Apple TV, why would you?

• Like 2

you do not need to stream from computer to tv with memory sticks or cables necessarily.

I tried out a Roku... found it lacking in functionality.

I went with an android tv stick, 8 gigs for loading games, etc from google play store, wireless connectivity to network to stream from any pc in the house.

also, can go onto internet with browser and watch all streams as if on a fully functional pc... which apple tv and roku does not allow.

• Like 1

I don't know much about anything, let alone technology. That said, a few years back when I retired after being a long time PC user, I moved away from PCs and towers etc to become an all Apple user. I like that I can, via the Apple TV, wirelessly and easily stream content from my MacBook Pro, iPad and/or iPhone to our television - without the need to run HDMI cables across the room. Additionally, everything syncs together nicely and I remain impressed with the elegant (yes there is that word) way that it all works, looks and feels. Color me a Jobs fanboy if you like, but I will admit that I admire and appreciate the design of Apple's system and product, and yes I suppose that does pull me further and further, albeit willingly, into the grasp of the Apple machine.

So back to the OPs original question - I own an Apple TV and like it a lot.

Peace brothers and sisters.

That about says it all. People who will only consider Apple products should definitely get Apple TV and not look at anything else. Others might want to consider getting a HDMI cable or a WDTV.

Edited by AngelsLariat

Stream Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO GO, news, sports, weather, music and tons more..... and of course you can buy entertainment from iTunes.

You can also download movies and entertainment from your favorite torrent and stream it from your computer to the TV wirelessly through Apple TV.

Of course you can do all this stuff with memory sticks, cables from your computer etc... but at only 99bucks for an Apple TV, why would you?

How to you convince Hulu Plus or Frontline, etc. that you are in the US so you can stream or download?

• Like 1

How to you convince Hulu Plus or Frontline, etc. that you are in the US so you can stream or download?

VPN, ultrasurf, OpenVPN,Mozilla with the right plug-in, hotspot shield... etc etc

VPN, ultrasurf, OpenVPN,Mozilla with the right plug-in, hotspot shield... etc etc

Which of those solutions are legal?

regards Worgeordie

Ummmm...not without a very expensive "smart" TV.

He just mentioned connecting a computer; so no smart TV needed, just any TV with an HDMI port, which is all of them except for old style CRT TVs.

Many phones and tablets also come with an HDMI-out port. And then there are devices such as Google's Chromecast, which is very cheap but a bit more limited than Apple TV / Roku.

not being familiar with TOS from Hulu, etc... i am not sure which are "legal". It might be that Hulu says you MUST physically be in USA.. don't know.

anyways...all those solutions are legal to USE for many things... but as i said, various sites might forbid them in their terms of service

I use UNBLOCK-US for VPN. It's about $5 a month (there are free VPN's as well) and it lets me access Hulu, HBO and Netflix as well as let me connect to Netflix in any country they operate. I got "Breaking Bad" from Netflix UK.

Question: When you connect a computer direct to TV with DVI cable, don't you get the full desktop display? All the annoying nonsense at the top and surrounding areas of the desktop when you're trying to just watch a movie in 2:40 aspect ratio...? If so, that alone is worth a one time $99 purchase to me...

I use UNBLOCK-US for VPN. It's about $5 a month (there are free VPN's as well) and it lets me access Hulu, HBO and Netflix as well as let me connect to Netflix in any country they operate. I got "Breaking Bad" from Netflix UK.

Question: When you connect a computer direct to TV with DVI cable, don't you get the full desktop display? All the annoying nonsense at the top and surrounding areas of the desktop when you're trying to just watch a movie in 2:40 aspect ratio...? If so, that alone is worth a one time $99 purchase to me...

hmmm... since you are using DVI cable, it might be your computer resolution and/or your TV settings... why not HDMI? Make sure both are full HDMI, 1080p... if so, and still getting awkward aspect ratio, that would be coming from the source...meaning HULU or Netflix...

I have home entertainment system with 2tb of movie, tv, comedy etc. don't know if an apple tv set up would offer me any more?

It depends upon what the problem is that you are trying to solve.

Live sport or current affairs.

If "current affairs" means news broadcasts, it's possible to find free feeds of several major news channels without having any hardware other than a PC or a smartphone. For live sports, or at least for American sports, most likely you are going to have to pay for them regardless of whether you have an Apple TV or are viewing them on a PC. There might be free sources but that would be from pirates, and generally Apple TV is better suited to Law & Order folks rather than to people who might be inclined to occasionally view content for which the copyright holder is not being fully compensated.

Edited by AngelsLariat
  • Like 1