straight razors - exist in thailand?

razorramone

I lost my razor, and brush.

I had a walk around a couple of malls today but couldn't find anywhere selling straight razors or brushes. Tried hairdressers and malls. The place I would expect to find them is in tobacco shops, but I don't think ive ever seen one in Thailand.

Anyone seen them around?

In monk supply shops you can buy the type of old fashioned straight razor which has the interchangeable blade (half old flat blade). Also they have a little metal box with a set of the old style razor for the double sided blades where the head unscrews to fit the blade...and a little mirror in the lid (from China I think.)

All hairdressers stopped using the old cut-throat razors after the AIDS crisis and started using disposable blades. You can buy old or new cut-throat razors and all the accessories like brushes, strops, soap, etc. from on-line stores in UK or USA.

• Like 1

I have an old-fashioned shaving brush which I still use. Last year my dad died and whilst clearing his effects we threw away a set of seven cut-throat razors in a box. And a leather/canvas strop too. Too dangerous for me to even consider using.

Edited by lungbing

Got the razor. Got the brush. Can't find the soap to go in the mug.

I've found the foaming stuff is really good I especially like the charcoal brand by Loreal, for traditional hard soap try Crabtree and Evelyn - circa 1200 baht in a wood container with refills around 1000.

As for a brush I brought mine and have a back up - the local ones are for dolls.

The razor part I find with a good lather and the brush doing it's part I'm able to use most blades. I haven't graduated to a real man shave with a straight edge as frankly I'm scared :)

• Like 1

The razor part I find with a good lather and the brush doing it's part I'm able to use most blades. I haven't graduated to a real man shave with a straight edge as frankly I'm scared smile.png

Acquiring the skills to shave with a straight razor is one of the more philosophical tasks I've ever undertaken. Highly recommended. Just do it - the reward is similar to the feeling experienced as a teenager on a bus on your way home after humping your first chick and thinking; "folks, if you had ANY clue what I just did!"

Let me know if you need advice, but just do it!

Edited by Forethat