Tot router always rebooting

daniel2183

Hi.

I have a tot internet package that came with a free router, the router seems to reboot every 5 mins or so . Has anyone else had this problem? And if so how did they fix it ? Tried ringing tot but there pretty much useless.

Thanks

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is the router over heating, the cheapies do tend to start doing odd things. Try blowing a fan on it.

That said, it sounds as if it's defective, ask TOT to come and swap it (good luck there).

Will try putting a fan on it later see if that helps. Failing that can I just go and buy a router rather than get tot to replace it? Like you said there not exactly keen to help

Is this a "new" problem?

Can you share any history?

Are you able to access the UI of the unit? If so, can you determine the line stats, and maybe share them here?

Assume you know the configuration details so you could set up a new router?

Lastly, could you borrow a known good/working modem/router from someone? This would possibly eliminate the router as an issue, and save you from purchasing a new unit.

My best/only guess, based on zero information, is that there is something wrong with your line rather than your modem/router.

Is the router over heating, the cheapies do tend to start doing odd things. Try blowing a fan on it.

That said, it sounds as if it's defective, ask TOT to come and swap it (good luck there).

Will try putting a fan on it later see if that helps. Failing that can I just go and buy a router rather than get tot to replace it? Like you said there not exactly keen to help

Why dont u call at the local centre?????

I had a problem with my old router,and have 4mb,she replaced it,after a few checks,upgraded me to 10mb with no added cost as yet,and i was on my way,connected and had quick broadband in less than 20 mins,as i live close to the TOT office in Pattaya

I've had tot internet for about a year the problem was always there but only would reboot a few times a day but it's a lot worse now every 5 mins or so. Tried ringing the local office a few times , they take about a week to get out here and then don't really do much so thought I'm going to have to try and sort it my self .

Hers the stats

post-98559-1382328562633_thumb.jpg

Any helpers?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So, what happened when you pointed a fan at it, as suggested? Is the router hot to the touch?

I have a TP-LINK TD-W8901G adsl router through TOT, and while the modem runs hot, the connections usually slowly degrades as the SNR Margin drops into the single digits over time My CRC numbers average around 29000. I remotely reboot the device three or four times a day. The TOT techs just ignore me because it will work immediately after a reboot. Because I can reboot into working operation I've been too lazy to troubleshoot if it's an outside line, inside line, device, or user error issue. My guess, all four. Especially the fourth.

On the issue of SNR, after doing some research and info from other TV members, it would appear that my SNR downstream is rather quite poor, averaging a constant 7.3 to 8dB regardless of what time of day. I am with TOT, who by all accounts aren't very helpful with this, especially after phoning nearly everyday for the past 2 weeks +, due to my internet slowing and then disconnecting presumably d/t it losing sync? though admittedly I am unsure. Ive been told somebody, will sometime come out and fix something but alas it seems this is a very secretive operation as noone wants to give me dates/times or even what is wrong. As I type, I had (again) the internet grind to a halt for 15 mins, getting flashbacks to the '90s when my trusty old 14k dial up modem would probably give my current internet a run for its money at times. I have just done a power cycle on the router and the internet, for the time being, seems to be OK....unsure if maybe the router needs looked at? (approx 2+ years old).

Many Thanks.

Any helpers?

Line looks fine, but that is based on your single 'snap-shot'.

Can you get into the Log? If so, post the details, especially during one your frequent re-boots. That looks like a TP-Link, or D-Link UI. What is the make/model? Any neighbors nearby on TOT? Can you see if they are having similar issues?

Can you try a different modem/router? Do you have a telephone on this line? If so, any issues calling in/out, noise on the line?

Any helpers?

So, what happened when you pointed a fan at it, as suggested?  Is the router hot to the touch?

I have a TP-LINK TD-W8901G adsl router through TOT, and while the modem runs hot, the connections usually slowly degrades as the SNR Margin drops into the single digits over time My CRC numbers average around 29000. I remotely reboot the device three or four times a day. The TOT techs just ignore me because it will work immediately after a reboot. Because I can reboot into working operation I've been too lazy to troubleshoot if it's an outside line, inside line, device, or user error issue. My guess, all four. Especially the fourth. 

Left the fan on it for about a day but didn't make any difference .

Any helpers?

Can you get into the Log? If so, post the details, especially during one your frequent re-boots. That looks like a TP-Link, or D-Link UI. What is the make/model? Any neighbors nearby on TOT? Can you see if they are having similar issues?

Can you try a different modem/router? Do you have a telephone on this line? If so, any issues calling in/out, noise on the line?

Checked with the neighbours and no problems for them.

I don't think there is a telephone installed ! There just 1 cable going to the router.

I took a few snap shots of the stats again and the log I can see there's a few errors on there but don't really know what they mean?

The router is a tot td 854w

post-98559-13824158659212_thumb.jpg

post-98559-13824158852107_thumb.jpg

post-98559-13824159585011_thumb.jpg

post-98559-13824158982863_thumb.jpg

post-98559-13824159109072_thumb.jpg

post-98559-13824159223639_thumb.jpg

Any helpers?

Checked with the neighbours and no problems for them.

I don't think there is a telephone installed ! There just 1 cable going to the router.

I took a few snap shots of the stats again and the log I can see there's a few errors on there but don't really know what they mean?

The router is a tot td 854w

post-98559-13824158659212_thumb.jpg

post-98559-13824158852107_thumb.jpg

post-98559-13824159585011_thumb.jpg

post-98559-13824158982863_thumb.jpg

post-98559-13824159109072_thumb.jpg

post-98559-13824159223639_thumb.jpg

Any helpers?

So, what happened when you pointed a fan at it, as suggested?  Is the router hot to the touch?

Did see this on google images tho

post-98559-13824161943004_thumb.jpg

That's my model router so could be known for overheating

Any helpers?

So, what happened when you pointed a fan at it, as suggested? Is the router hot to the touch?

I have the same router as u,but dont get overheating.My connection is usualy very good too

Actual I have no problem with ToT service, I got a "free" D-Link DSL-525 with my ADSL connection and the thing also rebooted everytime and had a hard time connecting. Went back to the TOT shop and they replaced it with a new one, without blinking a eye....(I was even asked if I wanted a other brand/model... but was happy with the D-Link DSL-525 as it works in combination with a D-Link DIR-655 router...

Maybe re-configure your DNS to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Edit PVC 0). (It looks like it cannot find the specified/default TOT DNS server so keeps looping.)

It also looks like there may be a configuration issue on the WAN port, but I'd have to see the edit/set-up screens.

Can you post a screenshot of the device status when you have a connection? I want to see that you are getting an IP, Gateway and DNS.

Again, right now it seems like a config. issue, but these TP-Link units always have DSL issues; we dropped them as a supplier because of these problems.

You should check to see if there is a FW update for this unit.

Maybe re-configure your DNS to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Edit PVC 0). (It looks like it cannot find the specified/default TOT DNS server so keeps looping.)

It also looks like there may be a configuration issue on the WAN port, but I'd have to see the edit/set-up screens.

Can you post a screenshot of the device status when you have a connection? I want to see that you are getting an IP, Gateway and DNS.

Again, right now it seems like a config. issue, but these TP-Link units always have DSL issues; we dropped them as a supplier because of these problems.

You should check to see if there is a FW update for this unit.

Added the DNS numbers you gave me, think I put them in the right place ?

post-98559-13824227228637_thumb.jpg

Where do I find the settings for the wan port? I had a good look around but couldn't see them ? I'm not the most tech savvy sorry.

Here is a screen shot of the device status when the net is working

post-98559-13824228988915_thumb.jpg

Had a browse on the net for a firmware update but I think I will have to take it to a tot service to get it done. A few people have been trying to update the firmware with no luck. Had a Look on the tp-link website and it's not listed.

Thanks for your help on this it's been driving me mad

Did you get an IP address? That space appears blank, but maybe you chose to mask it? (which is fine).

It looks like your WAN link is up and running. What does the log say now?

I haven't intentionally masked anything . Just took a couple more screens shots

post-98559-13824271475114_thumb.jpg

post-98559-1382427162605_thumb.jpg

Just as I was about to post this it rebooted again so I took another screen shot of the log

post-98559-13824274531907_thumb.jpg

Can you post Interface Setup, Internet tab? The one where you configure the ADSL port.

At this point I might be inclined to try a different - not a TP-Link - known, good, working modem/router.

Can you check with a/the neighbor to verify your settings are the same as theirs?

Can you post Interface Setup, Internet tab? The one where you configure the ADSL port.

At this point I might be inclined to try a different - not a TP-Link - known, good, working modem/router.

Can you check with a/the neighbor to verify your settings are the same as theirs?

I use a netgear router in the uk and it's always been reliable so might a have look for one here .

Will ask the neighbour if I can use there comp for a bit and have a look. There not the friendliest bunch but will try :-)

Here's the settings on the internet tab

post-98559-13824323982194_thumb.jpg

post-98559-13824324172872_thumb.jpg

Did you get an IP address? That space appears blank, but maybe you chose to mask it? (which is fine).

It looks like your WAN link is up and running. What does the log say now?

Same thing happens when I view the TP-Link http://192.168.1.1/rpSys.html screen using my iPad. For whatever reason Safari webkit blanks out the IP Address, Subnet and Gateway. Displays fine when I use Chrome browser on the iPad.

As a note, I also disabled the unused Virtual Circuits on my unit, with the idea that it might reduce the box having possible issues constantly processing them. Haven't noticed any difference though.

After reading your other posts I'll now know to avoid TP-Link for dsl use.

Lastly, could you borrow a known good/working modem/router from someone? This would possibly eliminate the router as an issue, and save you from purchasing a new unit.

My best/only guess, based on zero information, is that there is something wrong with your line rather than your modem/router.

Dan,

As lomatopo stated above, it could easily be a line issue (water, trees, rats, ex-GFs/wives, disgruntled TVF'ers, etc. ) and the wire is shorting or barely holding together. If you can borrow a landline telephone from someone, plug it in and have a listen for a while to see if there is any crackling noise.

It's also possible the Central Office DSLAM configuration for your service port has changed and needs to be reset.

The problem with some of these modified/branded units is that they are running custom firmware, in this case for TOT - this is done to make it easy for the end-user to set-up and configure. My best guess now is that there may be some issue with that firmware.

About the only thing I might alter is that "Dynamic Route" setting of RIP-2B, I might choose "Disable" if that is an option.

Also monitor the logs, especially during re-boots, copy/paste them to a text file which you save.

https://www.facebook.com/tplink.thailand/posts/545927572118397

https://www.facebook.com/pages/%E0%B8%A8%E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%A2%E0%B9%8C%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3-Tp-Link/349384615163110

You could grind through adsthailand dot com (using search terms like tot, tp-link, etc., and Google Translate), maybe contact TP-Link via email or their facebook page, or try a known, good, working modem.

My sense is that your line is OK, but I'd really have to monitor it over a week or so to be sure. I've seen issues where the break-out of voice and data in the TOT POP gets mis-handled post installation, which results in strange characteristics. You could also contact TOT and ask them to test your line.

The problem with some of these modified/branded units is that they are running custom firmware, in this case for TOT - this is done to make it easy for the end-user to set-up and configure. My best guess now is that there may be some issue with that firmware.

About the only thing I might alter is that "Dynamic Route" setting of RIP-2B, I might choose "Disable" if that is an option.

Also monitor the logs, especially during re-boots, copy/paste them to a text file which you save.

https://www.facebook.com/tplink.thailand/posts/545927572118397

https://www.facebook.com/pages/%E0%B8%A8%E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%A2%E0%B9%8C%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3-Tp-Link/349384615163110

You could grind through adsthailand dot com (using search terms like tot, tp-link, etc., and Google Translate), maybe contact TP-Link via email or their facebook page, or try a known, good, working modem.

My sense is that your line is OK, but I'd really have to monitor it over a week or so to be sure. I've seen issues where the break-out of voice and data in the TOT POP gets mis-handled post installation, which results in strange characteristics. You could also contact TOT and ask them to test your line.

Went in to town today and saw a d-link router for 1500 baht so thought I would just give it a try. Internet has been up for about an hr and hasn't dropped once :-) I've got 5 devices connected to it giving it a good work out so hopefully it's all fixed .

Will monitor it over the next few days , fingers crossed

I think TP-Link and D-Link are pretty much the same, the UI's look the same to me so I assumed they were made by the same manufacturer - I would have avoided D-Link - many people also have similar DSL problems with D-Link and we also dropped them as a supplier. But if it is working for you then great. Problem solved.