Big C vs Big C Extra

brotherother

I always thought it was called 'extra' because they had Home Pro or the like attached? But I agree....nothing too special about either of these stores. Rumour has it that they may be expanding out to Mae Rim or somewhere near Tiger Kingdom.

Perhaps it will be like the condo planned for next to Hillside 4.... it MIGHT happen, but I woudnt bank on it happening anytime soon. laugh.png

The Big C on Rama 4, which is an "Extra" was formerly a Carrefour. They have continued to offer lots more gourmet and upscale foods, fresh and imported than other Big Cs. I haven't been in any other Extra, and as I say, this particular Big C had a Carrefour legacy, so perhaps that is a distinction?

Big C Extra is on the super highway.

attachicon.gifbig c extra.jpg

Yes, this is the one I'm familiar with, the original Carrefour (I think).

While we're on the subject, which would you say is the better Tesco, if there's any difference?

I think Big C is a step up from Tesco. Tesco is O.K. for buying some things for cooking Thai food, toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc. Big C has more farang (imported) foods. Big C Don Chan has more of everything. Hang Dong Tesco and Big C are good. The new Tesco Meechock is terrible IMO. Don't bother with it.

I must admit it was better as Carrefour.... marginally. As for the Tesco Lotus Vs Big C debate not much in it really.

One thing I did notice last visit to Big C was that they were stocking a wide range of imported beers probably 20 or so but at prices out of my range but if you are a beer aficionado it might make someone happy

Nothing. Big C Extra was good until they eliminated all the old Carrefore stuff. Now I cannot think of a single thing they have which canot be found at Don Chan and Hang Dong Road.

Well you don't shop often Mr.Naboo,

for me they are very different, in BigC extra you have many imported foods, like Pizzas and cookies, cheese and salami, and many other things completely absent in BigC. Many kinds of bread too in BigC extra.

I see also a much bigger selection of spirits and wines etc.

I always thought it was called 'extra' because they had Home Pro or the like attached? But I agree....nothing too special about either of these stores. Rumour has it that they may be expanding out to Mae Rim or somewhere near Tiger Kingdom.

Perhaps it will be like the condo planned for next to Hillside 4.... it MIGHT happen, but I woudnt bank on it happening anytime soon. laugh.png

Big C existed as that name only for years.

When BigC bought Carrefour [Thailand] shops they renamed them BigC as you would expect and then added "Extra" to the name...

Initially they did carry "extra" a la Carrefour, but gradually IMO have become much the same now stockwise...