Do monkeys attack dogs?

I live at the very far-end / street of a subdivision, and just behind me is nothing but a huge field of probably dozens or even hundreds of acres. There's been a few times now I've heard my dogs barking a bit at the one corner of the yard. I couldn't see anything, so just assumed it was probably a snake, and pulled them inside for a few hours.

However, today I found out it's a monkey. My one dog was giving off that certain bark again, so I went out, and there's a little monkey hanging out in the tree, just on the other side of the yard's wall. He seemed pretty docile, and was just hanging out, and staring at us.

I don't know anything about monkeys, so is there anything I should be aware of? How vicious are these guys? Is he going to jump down one day, start slashing the hell out of my dogs, and give them rabies?

As long as the monkey stays out of my yard, he'll be safe. If he comes into my yard though, I'm quite confident my dogs will go after him, and if they catch him, they'll probably kill him. Or I would imagine he's got a family out there somewhere, so is there any chance of the whole family showing up in my yard at some point? And I guess this means I should quit leaving the back door open all day, otherwise things may begin to go missing from the kitchen? :)

• Like 1

Possibly the best topic headline ever!

I'm glad it gave you a smile, but it's actually an honest question. My neighbor thinks I'm crazy now, and kept telling me it's just a cat, but I'm quite confident that was a monkey I seen this morning. He was just sitting upright in the tree, with his little human-like face, staring down at us. Plus I know how my dogs treat cats, and they did not treat that like a cat. That was more of a cautious / scared approach, versus a "<snip>, or I'll kill you" approach.

And I'm assuming that's what the chirping I hear quite often is. Didn't sound like any type of reptile, plus was pretty sure it wasn't any type of bird I've heard before. I think that might actually be the monkey chirping away.

Monkeys are generally wild animals and as such they can be unpredictable.

I read that some types of monkey in tribe/groups will attack in a uniform way.

Given those precepts I would treat stray monkeys as I would any other wild animal that thinks it can encroach on human populated land, like snakes for example. If it is a threat to us, children and domesticated animals including family member dogs it is better to remove the monkey than have to worry about treating monkey bites on people or dogs. Video of Thai monkey dying - read the comments - if you don't like the video THEN DO NOT CLICK THE LINK or WATCH IT !

I'm sure there will be a flow of pro-mokey posts, about it being their country and leave well alone - however it is easy to suggest that where you are not at the receiving end of a potential repeat nuisance visits where monkeys will raid home grown crops, chicken eggs and baiting dogs. I see that problem monkeys are mentioned on African and Bali expat forums. With the usual responses about bait/traps and people that may take the problem away for Bush-Meat or Tourist-Purposes depending on the country!

Remember that wild animals that show no fear or appear friendly are prime candidates for being rabies infected.

This South African web-site offers some advice.

These YouTube videos make me want to want to err on the side of removing the potential threat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC-ulEtCebo

• Like 1

I grew up on Kenya and our dogs at the time (Doberman Pinchers) would chase the local monkeys (Green Vervets). The monkeys would race up the tree and everyone had fun until one day one monkey misjudged the distance and got chased down by one of the dogs. The dod did not have a chance and got killed......

Do not under any circumstance feed the monkeys. As bina said, they will never become tame as many people who thought they might make a great pet have found out the painful way.

At Phang Nga on the old road to Ta Phut is a cave ( maybe called The Tigers Cave ?) that has a Buddhist shrine out front.

As such there is a lot of stray dogs staying with the Buddhist monks , and there is also a troop of wild monkeys that frequent the place.

They tend to keep a respectful distance , but it is my observation that the monkeys are way more nimble and quick than the dogs , and any fights about food etc end in a monkey victory.

As such I would not be encouraging any monkey into my yard even if I didnt have dogs.

They are unbelievably powerful for their size , and very smart and agile .

It would not be long before the monkey would be ruling the roost if allowed to.

In Sri Lanka they are everywhere and very destructive - a troop can remove a tiled roof of a home in minutes to get down inside for supplies.

The locals wont kill them , but effectively scare them off with loud 'bunger' type fireworks.

Monkeys (macaques) visit frequently my home in Phuket. I have three cats and used to have a dog as well. The monkeys were never a thread for the domesticated animals (well, once one of my cats tried to play with monkey and run back quite fast from the jungle).

Other than there has not been any incidents. Animals normally know when not to mess with each other.

This one is on my roof, just 2 meter away from me.

2013-05-23_14-52-22.jpg

Well, one of them likes to steal my papayas, but I guess it's their right.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/675592-papaya-thief-caught-on-video/

I love monkeys but I wouldn't want to have them messing at home. If I were you I wouldn't feed this one because you will encourage him to come back, and most likely bring his friends along.

I wouldn't worry too much about the dogs. Monkeys are like bullies to dogs but they usually only attack when thet feel really threatened. Anytime the monkey can overrun the dog or climb to a tree he will do just that. Also, before attacking they threat the victim by showing their huge fangs, I am quite sure your dogs will get the message.

At Phang Nga on the old road to Ta Phut is a cave ( maybe called The Tigers Cave ?) that has a Buddhist shrine out front.

As such there is a lot of stray dogs staying with the Buddhist monks , and there is also a troop of wild monkeys that frequent the place.

They tend to keep a respectful distance , but it is my observation that the monkeys are way more nimble and quick than the dogs , and any fights about food etc end in a monkey victory.

As such I would not be encouraging any monkey into my yard even if I didnt have dogs.

They are unbelievably powerful for their size , and very smart and agile .

It would not be long before the monkey would be ruling the roost if allowed to.

In Sri Lanka they are everywhere and very destructive - a troop can remove a tiled roof of a home in minutes to get down inside for supplies.

The locals wont kill them , but effectively scare them off with loud 'bunger' type fireworks.

used to live very close to that place in phang-nga,those monkeys,are super quick..dogs no-chance on the food front,,if you ever go there your done in 20mins,,

I was there 2 months ago. There are vendors selling fruits to tourists to feed the monkeys with. One tourist had three macaques climbing on him at once to be fed, and my girlfriend had one jump on her and scratch her arm because she was reaching into her bag for a camera. Presumably the monkey was hoping for food and not a new Canon product.

And the dogs and monkeys seemed to be having a lot of fun wrestling.

IMG_5894-e-M.jpg

Fireworks, eh? If the monkey keeps coming around, I think that's what I might do. Simply because that's what someone in the next subdivision over does, and I'll just assume they know what they're doing more than me. Just behind my house is a huge field, and across from that is another subdivision. Someone over there shoots off fireworks probably several times a week. I just assumed they liked to party, or had kids who loved fireworks or something, but now that you said that, I'm guessing they have a monkey problem.

Alright then, if the monkey keeps coming around, fireworks it is!

Edited by Nautilus05

Not sure the dogs will like the fireworks - and this will lead to an association that Monkeys=Fireworks and might be troublesome in itself. I like the rubber snake idea from the link I provided.

Although elsewhere in SA forums the use of the Mossberg all purpose repellent was recommended. whistling.gif

• Like 2

I live in the middle of Bangkok and we have had a large monkey walking and climbing trees around our soi for the last few years, It was sitting on my carport yesterday looking down on the neighbors dogs which drives them crazy . we believe it belongs to a politician at the end of the soi.

Never feed any monkeys...simple as that.

You may not be able to have the Mossberg

all purpose repellant...however a good Wrist

Rocket (brand) catapult/slingshot with 1/4 oz

lead balls work wonders. Just practice so's you

don't hit the dog.

Can't find lead balls? Look at a fishing gear shop

or use 1/2 to 3/4 inch nuts...the kind that go on bolts.

edited to add last 2 lines.

Edited by sunshine51
  • Like 1