Pizza recommendation - Nimmanhaemin area

roger1999

Two thumbs up for the pizza place above Beer Republic - Nimman Soi 11. A good size pizza (thin and crispy is all they offer, it seems) with four toppings is 120 baht when ordered from 5-7 PM and 150 baht from 7-11 PM. The best I've had in town.

I can't compare it to the Dukes pizza. I never order pizza at the Dukes since they have too many other tempting offers.

I also like this place, especially for the price. I've only been in town 3 1/2 months but have had pizza in 3 restaurants: this one, dailycious and success pizza. All roughly the same quality, once you adjust your expectations. This isn't New York!

I also like this place, especially for the price. I've only been in town 3 1/2 months but have had pizza in 3 restaurants: this one, dailycious and success pizza. All roughly the same quality, once you adjust your expectations. This isn't New York!

Why? Now is New York the pizza capital?

Anyone tried the new place on Tha Pae road ? it is called (i think) street pizza, near to Spice indian in that area near the bridge, looks like they did a good job decorating and they have a brick dome type oven, The sign says margarita pizza, 139 baht...... maybe try it tonight.

Actually, the best Pizzas in the City (excluding Dukes because I dont go there) are UN Irish, where they make a Pizza to your requirements from a range of 20 baht toppings, and good old Mad Dog, always was and still is good. Outside the City, Tony Putrinos Yummy Pizza down Canal Road way is also excellent.

We should all think ourselves lucky in Chiang Mai. Right now am in Krabi on holiday and even here, which is cheaper than Phuket and Bangkok, you struggle to get a decent Pizza for less than 350 baht!!!

Mad Dog's pizzas are actually better, since Hamburger Mike helped them with their menu a few years ago. Paradise Pizza is not bad either for an American style pizza, but The Duke's is a few notches above the rest of them, IMHO.

For Italian style pizza, my buddy swears by Lanterna di Genova on Walking Street near Thapae Gate, but Da Stefanos is also decent and not far away.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Mad Dog's pizzas are actually better, since Hamburger Mike helped them with their menu a few years ago. Paradise Pizza is not bad either for an American style pizza, but The Duke's is a few notches above the rest of them, IMHO.

For Italian style pizza, my buddy swears by Lanterna di Genova on Walking Street near Thapae Gate, but Da Stefanos is also decent and not far away.

Well everyone has an opinion but I tried pizza at the Lanterna once (along with 2 friends)... and it was probably the worst pizza we've had here. Have you had their pizza UG? I don't hear much confidence in your post so just wondering. DaStefanos and Girasole make infinitely better pizza (but still not as good as the Dukes).

Dukes, "pizza and pasta Chiang Mai" and Arcobaleno are my 3 favorites not necessarily in that order, it just depends on what style I feel like on the day. I'd probably go to "Pizza and Pasta Chiang Mai" more except that I live on the other side of town.

Tried the Beer Republic recently. I went there for drinks, when it opened, had not tried the food. Pretty good pizza, nice staff, one lady there speaks English very well. Still vote for Lanta. One thing the tomato sAuce is too sweet for me, but I use so much Tabasco it is not an issue.

Mad Dog's pizzas are actually better, since Hamburger Mike helped them with their menu a few years ago. Paradise Pizza is not bad either for an American style pizza, but The Duke's is a few notches above the rest of them, IMHO.

For Italian style pizza, my buddy swears by Lanterna di Genova on Walking Street near Thapae Gate, but Da Stefanos is also decent and not far away.

Dukes pizza is the best I have had in Thailand by some distance.

Mad Dog pizza has good breakfast...but for pizza is well off that standard. Edible though unlike some places.

I agree with you on both counts, but absolutely no one in Thailand has a crust that I like - a real New York crust - and The Duke's is better than most.

U.G. you are right. Thailand needs real NYC pizza! NYC pizza is king of the world! Authentic Neopolitan pizza (when done well)has an excellent taste(char from 900f ovens,"00" flour,San Marzano tomatoes, Bufala(sic) mozzarella are all excellent). But, it is hoity toity. Too delicate and prissy to be called world's greatest. Leave the Neopolitan pizzas to frat boys named Biff.

The best NYC pizza is far more robust and significant. Of course, more times than not, you'll hear it discredited on Thai Visa, by some "bloke from the culinary wasteland UK". Who once tried crap pizza in a Times Square tourist trap, and knight's himself "Sir condemnator of all that is NYC pizza".

It's sad to see the ignorant, indoctrinated masses, favor tradition over true superiority. To say Neopolitan pizza is the greatest, "because pizza was invented in Italy"(debatable), is foolish. It's like saying the Egyptians invented beer, therefore the world's greatest beer can only come from Egypt. Or the first artists were cavemen, so caveman must be history's greatest artists. It's SO F@+K#*G STUPID !

Finding great NYC pizza in NYC is not easy. Maybe 1 out of 20 places. Finding a great NYC pizza in Thailand? All of us New Yorkers are still waiting.

• Like 2

I agree with you on both counts, but absolutely no one in Thailand has a crust that I like - a real New York crust - and The Duke's is better than most.

U.G. you are right. Thailand needs real NYC pizza! NYC pizza is king of the world! Authentic Neopolitan pizza (when done well)has an excellent taste(char from 900f ovens,"00" flour,San Marzano tomatoes, Bufala(sic) mozzarella are all excellent). But, it is hoity toity. Too delicate and prissy to be called world's greatest. Leave the Neopolitan pizzas to frat boys named Biff.

The best NYC pizza is far more robust and significant. Of course, more times than not, you'll hear it discredited on Thai Visa, by some "bloke from the culinary wasteland UK". Who once tried crap pizza in a Times Square tourist trap, and knight's himself "Sir condemnator of all that is NYC pizza".

It's sad to see the ignorant, indoctrinated masses, favor tradition over true superiority. To say Neopolitan pizza is the greatest, "because pizza was invented in Italy"(debatable), is foolish. It's like saying the Egyptians invented beer, therefore the world's greatest beer can only come from Egypt. Or the first artists were cavemen, so caveman must be history's greatest artists. It's SO F@+K#*G STUPID !

Finding great NYC pizza in NYC is not easy. Maybe 1 out of 20 places. Finding a great NYC pizza in Thailand? All of us New Yorkers are still waiting.

Is 71 cuda a 71 barracuda

a serious hot machine..

1354700286_71_g-force_572_hemi_cuda_pic0

a serious hot machine..

1354700286_71_g-force_572_hemi_cuda_pic0

You guessed it, That's the car.

I don't know if a pizza thread Is the right place for American MuscleCar trivia. But since you asked, here it goes.

The 'Cuda is the factory high performance version of the Barracuda base model. Initially, many first generation Barracudas were Hot Rodded for street racing. The slang name on the street was shortened to "'Cuda".

When the factory decided to market it's own high performance model of the Barracuda, they used the street racer's slang 'Cuda. So the 'Cuda is the high performance model of the Barracuda. As is the Trans Am to the Firebird, or the Mach 1 to the Mustang.

Heaven is cruising in a 1971 Hemi'Cuda convertible. Top down, on a warm sunny day. Packed with hot, oversexed chicks, NY pizza, cold beer and a few billion $$$ in the trunk.

Edited by 71Cuda
  • Like 1

Those NY pizzas in the photos look OK. Being a professional artisan bread and pizza baker, I've made thousands, I do see some problems with those pizzas though. The crust is too blonde. The oven temp should be hotter(more char and oven kick). Also the crust is too tight. The rim is flat, no life and bubbles. The dough was over mixed. Too much mixing over oxidizes the dough and makes the gluten matrix too tight. This results in a bland and lifeless crust. In the pizza world, Crust is king.