Failed motorbike ram attempt wins policeman B10k reward for bravery

webfact

Failed motorbike ram attempt wins policeman B10k reward for bravery
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- A patrol policeman who broke his collar bone while ramming bag-snatchers with his motorbike in an attempt to stop their getaway was rewarded with 10,000 baht yesterday morning for his bravery.

Phuket Provincial Police Commander Ong-art Phiwruangnont issued the bonus on hearing how Sgt Songwut Noosuk of the Phuket City Police attempted to apprehend the perpetrators on Saturday afternoon.

“Sgt Songwut was riding his motorbike when he saw the bag-snatch taking place. He tried to stop the two men by slamming into them,” Wichit Police Superintendent Chaowalit Petchsripia explained.

“Unfortunately, Sgt Songwut fell off his bike and the two men rode off,” he added.

The two men took flight with the bag belonging to 27-year-old Russian tourist Kazmina Marcarita, who was caught walking from the Big C supercenter to Central Festival Phuket on bypass road.

“In her bag were US$300 dollars [about 9,300 baht], 3,000 baht cash and some documents,” Col Chaowalit reported.

“Sgt Songwut called in the bag-snatch and told us to try to block the two men. We failed to stop them, but we later learned they both live in a rented house in Baan Pru Somparn in Thalang,” he said.

Officers arrested Piyachai Chaisriha, 20, and Pongsathorn Thawaichuea, 19, at 10am yesterday.

Commander Ong-art also issued a 20,000-baht reward to the Wichit Police team who arrested the two men.

Sgt Songwut continued his recovery yesterday at Phuket International Hospital.

Among visitors wishing him a speedy recovery were Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Arayapan Pukbuakao, Phuket City Police Superintendent Sermphan Sirikong and Wichit Police Superintendent Chaowalit.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Failed-motorbike-ram-attempt-wins-policeman-B10k-reward-for-bravery-22572.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-10-22

Way weird..kudos to the cop who tried to apprehend the bad guys,he gets a broken collarbone [possibly resulting in a fair amount of time off] and probably damage to his bike .good man heres 10,000baht.

The other cops go to the house acting on info given by the original cop and they get 20,000baht..for what??... doing their job..coffee1.gif

EDIT..just read that he was paid 10,000baht for bravery for his injuries suffered in the line of duty...tho apparently he was not on duty at the time...

Agree, why is there so much money involved? Their doing what their already being paid for...

Explains why did just did not follow them and radio for help.

In the heat of the moment, a crime of violence against a person, suspects fleeing, radio not working or receiving well, riding a motorbike with hands occupied on the gas/brakes, adrenalin pumping, tunnel vision, traffic, level of familiarity with the area, level of training. You choose. I wasn't there and can only say I'm glad he wasn't killed and the bad guys didn't get away.

"Everyone can be an expert and critic, particularly since there are no credentials required".

Edited by Benmart

Well done indeed by all Police officers involved. That's good news. There are still many good Policemen. Hope one day the strength and Karma of the good will win over the bad.

Well done?..what was? Apart from 1st BIB ,he did a job he was trained and paid to do...hurt himself doing it and was compensated to a degree..kudos to him as i said.

The others simply went to a house and arrested the offenders..whats ''well done'' about that, and to be paid 20,000baht for doing it?

Extraordinary series of events and in my mind just doesn't add up.The fact that they were paid this money almost immediately is unusual in itsself.[.anywhere in the world] and moreso from a policefarce that is not all that financially well off....

Just my take on it....

Well done indeed by all Police officers involved. That's good news. There are still many good Policemen. Hope one day the strength and Karma of the good will win over the bad.

Well done?..what was? Apart from 1st BIB ,he did a job he was trained and paid to do...hurt himself doing it and was compensated to a degree..kudos to him as i said.

The others simply went to a house and arrested the offenders..whats ''well done'' about that, and to be paid 20,000baht for doing it?

Extraordinary series of events and in my mind just doesn't add up.The fact that they were paid this money almost immediately is unusual in itsself.[.anywhere in the world] and moreso from a policefarce that is not all that financially well off....

Just my take on it....

What do you think other police officers on the island are now thinking or reacting to this?

This is why when you call police out for something, nothing will happen unless you sweeten the deal. They expect to get compensated by the public for actually doing their job. No one is forcing them to take the salary that is offered, but they know there is 10X amount of salary to be made via "rewards".

• Like 1

This is why when you call police out for something, nothing will happen unless you sweeten the deal. They expect to get compensated by the public for actually doing their job. No one is forcing them to take the salary that is offered, but they know there is 10X amount of salary to be made via "rewards".

Or it's the opposite. Moving the money flow from individual citizens to the police to post award system from the police heads to the officers.

It's also concentration of power towards higher level officers.

Perhaps the new Phuket police boss is trying to offer alternatives instead of taking bribes?

Well I hope they cover his hospital bill too, otherwise the 10k won't go very far...

I believe that Policemen get 100% medical and even have their own police hospital at Nakhon Sawan.

Never the less I am glad that his action is recognised and rewarded.