Phuket: Locals voice anger over planned Patong tunnel

Lite Beer

Phuket: Locals voice anger over planned Patong tunnel

1382423359_1.jpg

The original plan envisaged approach roads at ground level. EXAT, however, thinks raised approach roads would be more efficient.

PHUKET: Around 40 Patong residents expressed anger about the planned Kathu-Patong expressway and tunnel during a public meeting held yesterday (October 21) at the Phuket Graceland Hotel in Patong.

This was the second public meeting held on the long-running proposal for the new tunnel, which planners hope will ease traffic and improve safety on Patong Hill.

The length of the tunnel will be about 1.6 km. With the roads at either end the total will be around 3.07 km, with a budget of approximately B5.5 billion.

Project manager and engineer Sayun Imsom-Somboon explained during yesterday’s meeting that studies had been done to find the route that would have the least impact, and minimise any loss of land for land owners. Those who would lose property in the project would be compensated, he said.

Originally there were seven possible routes, but Expressway Authority of Thailand (EXAT) has chosen the route that starts from Phang Muang Sai Kor Rd, near the APK Resort, entering the tunnel near Baan Mon, and emerging near the Go Kart track in Kathu.

Mr Sayun said the Phang Muang Sai Kor Rd route would be most appropriate, but most of the locals at the meeting stood up and spoke out against the project.

One man spoke about how Patong was meant to be a tourist town for relaxing, and tourists should not have to look at more and more construction sites.

Mr Sayun responded that the construction site would have minimal visual impact and would not be unsightly.

“The problem here is that the outsiders think they know better than the locals,” one resident said.

A former Patong village chief questioned Patong’s identity.

“It has been developed too much already. I used to stroll on Patong Beach with my father collecting turtle eggs – and look what’s happened now.”

One woman expressed concern that even though the proposal included being able to use the Patong Hill road as well as the tunnel, the traffic would still come to a standstill once it reached the bottom of Patong Hill on the Patong side.

She said the expressway was not important for the people of Phuket, and it would be better if Phuket police worked hard to control the traffic and keep the roads safe, rather than “destroy the mountain”.

Another resident suggested going with another route that would run through an undeveloped area, rather than near houses.

“This will probably get better co-operation from landowners – why don’t you try another route?”

Mr Sayun told The Phuket News after the meeting, “It will be more beneficial in the long run, but will take a bit of sacrifice now.”

“It will help decrease the number of accidents in the future. There have been too many accidents in the past. Phuket has more and more people coming here every year – by the time we realise we do need this tunnel, it will be too late.”

Source: http://The original plan envisaged approach roads at ground level. EXAT, however, thinks raised approach roads would be more efficient.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-10-22

If the artist cant draw the cars travelling on the correct side of the road, do you think that the engineers or architect can get the plans and building right?

Na not going to happen for many, many future moons.

Edited by ThaiMouse
  • Like 2

If the artist cant draw the cars travelling on the correct side of the road, do you think that the engineers or architect can get the plans and building right?

Na not going to happen for many, many future moons.

Well spotted - I never noticed that. How embarressing for the Government planners.

“It has been developed too much already. I used to stroll on Patong Beach with my father collecting turtle eggs – and look what’s happened now.”

Yeah look, Thailand's finally caught up with the rest of the world and started protecting Turtles. Idiot. He seems like the village chief type.

Also the mountains look very European to me. I bet they copy-pasted the image from some Swiss website. They might have photo shopped the dolphins in though to give it a typical Phuket allure. Guess that would be worth some tax payer's money.