Thai govt eyes land, property taxes to boost revenue

webfact

Hope all this tax stuff does not turn Thailand into a welfare state like the USA is quickly becoming

If you think that the USA is as 'welfare state' try the UK; but NOT if you are born there! THAT would be asking far too much from the politically correct politicians, who will do everything in their power to keep their fat backsides on their parliamentary seats until they retire on their own fat pensions and sod the rest of you!

I think the USA and the UK are pretty equal on support of non citizens or undocumented workers as Nancy Pelosi prefers to call them. We call Nancy something but it is not an undocumented worker. ha ha

Edited by rotary

Hope all this tax stuff does not turn Thailand into a welfare state like the USA is quickly becoming

If you think that the USA is as 'welfare state' try the UK; but NOT if you are born there! THAT would be asking far too much from the politically correct politicians, who will do everything in their power to keep their fat backsides on their parliamentary seats until they retire on their own fat pensions and sod the rest of you!

I think the USA and the UK are pretty equal on support of non citizens or undocumented workers as Nancy Pelosi prefers to call them. We call Nancy something but it is not an undocumented worker. ha ha

I think she'll probably die of apoplexy if she doesn't get the Speakership back next year... Wicked Witch of the West.

Interesting comments. I never thought I'd read of someone who wanted to pay tax. I think they would accept voluntary contributions. Many take on debt to build a business. Land taxes on top of interest charges would break many legit small businesses.

Another thought. They could always try the EU's "Cyprus Twist" on bank a/cs. They could do a practice run on the farangs with the req'd 800k in. Remember they can all learn how to gouge from what other Governments (that is pronounced "racketeers") do abroad.

Tax, and those who do it, are inherently evil.

...they just take...take....take......

...when there's no more to take.....they have to get it from elsewhere......

...the only things they have given Thai people are.......lies.......and debt......

Not a very high debt. Thailand has "just" 39% debt to GDP ratio. USA has 108%, Australia and Swizerland do better, having 18%.

If thails was to tax who is really rich just for few years, they could even get even and become the hub of economic stability in SE Asia,

Edited by paz

...they just take...take....take......

...when there's no more to take.....they have to get it from elsewhere......

...the only things they have given Thai people are.......lies.......and debt......

Not a very high debt. Thailand has "just" 39% debt to GDP ratio. USA has 108%, Australia and Swizerland do better, having 18%.

If thails was to tax who is really rich just for few years, they could even get even and become the hub of economic stability in SE Asia,

You might or might not be right. Do you actually have any data to support that, or 'just the usual class warfare reruns? Who exactly do you define as the "thai rich"? How much of their wealth or income would you take?

The thai tax structure may be inequitable, I really don't know. But the more fundamental problem lies with governments spending money they don't have, continually, until the deficit becomes endemic, and the situation becomes unrecoverable. It's a SPENDING problem, not a taxing problem. Tax more, and the govt will simply spend more, which the demagogues pandering to the mob will characterize as a greed & unwillingness among the "wealthy" to pay their "fair share". Meanwhile, these same populists gorge themselves at the public trough and the mob remains ignorant of the truth of the matter, allowing themselves to get more & more worked up over the wrong problem. The public becomes more & more polarized, and government less & less effective.

Edited by hawker9000