Visa For Having A Thai Girlfriend

We have a lawyer that recently joined our firm so sat in and listen to a meeting today. She came from a prestigious firm so was curious how she would handle herself.

Client: I like to get a one year visa.

Lawyer: Let me ask you several questions on which one may be the best for you. How old are you?

Client: 43 years old

Lawyer: Are you married to a Thai Lady?

Client: Why you ask?

Lawyer: Perhaps you qualify for a marriage visa.

Client: Very excited now, stated “No I’m not but I have a Thai girlfriend I met last week. Can I get a one year visa for knowing her?”

Lawyer: She couldn’t hold her laughter. “You mean a Visa for having a Thai Girlfriend? If that was the case, the line would be 300 meters long outside our door! “

Client: But If I was married that would be ok? I really don’t know this girl that long so not sure she’ll marry me. Can you arrange someone to marry me?

Lawyer: You mean for you and your girlfriend to get a registered marriage?

Client: Not sure if I really want that. You know what I mean… you know, get another girl who’ll marry me?

Lawyer: Laughing. I’m not that desperate Sir. Looking over at me “I really don’t think we can help you with your visa.”

Client: Disbelief “ Why you advertise one year visa’s then?”

Lawyer: We are a legitimate firm. We don't sell visas. We go thru the process.

Client: Looking sad " But, I'm tired of traveling and I like this girl. "

Lawyer: takes pity on him : Let me ask you this. What’s your purpose in Thailand?

Client: To settle down. Maybe to invest some money.

Lawyer: If you are looking to invest then that may be a way. How much of an investment were you considering and what would the business be?

Client: All excited again “ Really? That’s Good. My girlfriend and I are going to buy some buffalo in Kalasin. You think that’s a good business?

Lawyer: As a foreigner you cannot raise buffalo.

Client: You have any good business idea then? I have around 10,000 baht to invest.

Lawyer: Disbelief: Sir you mean 10 million Baht?

Client: No, 10,000 Baht. My girlfriend said she and her could buy a couple buffalo and make money on it. A light goes on in his head " Say, How bout if my girlfriend buys the buffalo instead of me doing it?" You charge around 7,000 Baht. You think, we could give me a break so she can get another buffalo?

At that point, I excuse myself as I couldn’t control my laughter. It will be a miracle if this lawyer is still with us tomorrow. :-)