Man shot dead at Thai temple fair's dance floor

webfact

Man Shot Dead At Temple Fair's Dance Floor
By Khaosod Online

BANGKOK: -- A local temple fair in Nakhon Si Thammarat has ended in a bloodbath after a fistfight led to shootings of two brothers, killing one.

The police received reports of the shooting at 01.00 today, and the officers soon arrived at Wat Suan Paan Temple on Si Thammarat Road.

Behind the dancing stage in the temple fair, police found two injured individuals, later identified as Mr. Pattanapong Asadong, 33, and his brother Mr. Songyot Asadong, 31. Mr. Pattanapong was shot in his leg while Mr. Songyot was hit in his arm and his ribcage.

The pair was hurried to hospital, but Mr. Songyot later died at the hospital.

Witnesses told police the brothers were visiting the temple fair earlier in the night. The brothers were reportedly showing their moves in the traditional Thai dancing ground when one of them got into a fistfight with another visitor at the dance floor.

The suspect later drew out his handgun, witnesses said, and the brothers quickly ran to the back of the stage, but the gunman chased after them and discharged his weapons at the victims. The suspect fled the scene afterwards.

Police believe the victims might have been involved in a dispute with the suspect prior to the murder at the temple. A senior police officer said the force has already obtained identity of the suspect due to numerous eyewitnesses at the crime scene.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE1qUXpPVE00TWc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-10-23

Too many shooting here of late,and mostly for minor disputes,

so don't get into any arguments with any Thais ,they have a

short fuse,and some of them carry guns !, a very dangerous

combination,the Natives seem very edgy at the moment,maybe

something to do with the economy ,political strife,who knows.

regards Worgeordie

Yes, the natives do appear restless.

• Like 2

regards Worgeordie

Only of late?

This country has one of the highest incidents of shootings on the planet.

• Like 1

There are guns all over the place here in Thailand. And dirt cheap so that just about anybody can afford to buy one on the black market. This coupled with uneducated people is the perfect recipe for gun crime and meaningless, spare of the moment murders.

Thailand comes in at number three after South Africa and Colombia , two notoriously dangerous places in the world , for highest rates of gun homicides per capita in the world.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_gun_vio_hom_fir_hom_rat_per_100_pop-rate-per-100-000-pop

• Like 2

Jai ron... R.I.P. ... I guess the purpose of the temple fairs is to involve the general population into "sanuk" activities there and foster a good relationship between the Sangha and the people but for me personally, it is not appropriate with the skimpily clad girls and the loud music, etc. You can find that at normal fairs all over the country. Shouldn't be about bringing that stuff onto temple grounds but Buddhism to the people.

Yet another reason not to enter any venue, where you can encounter the dangerous cocktail: Thai males and alcohol/drugs!!

The OTT violence is always just under the surface!sad.png

To be honest, if they could stand up like men and if a fight is unavoidable, fight without weapons and on their own then it wouldn't be so worrisome.

However, (and this is not a generalization, it is fact) any Thai man who is beaten in a fight one on one won't accept that he was beaten by a better man on the day. He will surely go and arm himself or get a number of friends and beat or shoot the other guy until dead. I am living here 10 years and this is fact. Never met a man here yet that took his beating and moved on until another day. Disgusting. bah.gif

regards Worgeordie

I am pleased that someone other than me thinks the way you do.

The OK Corral was safer with the mentality (now that's an oxymoron isn't it?) that exists here.

The only time in our marriage my wife ever snapped at me was when we were our driving one evening and this pickup was driving dead slow an every time I went to overtake him he swerved into the oncoming lane so I couldn't pass. After a minute of this I got a bit pissed off and laid on the horn and flashed my lights and was admonished by my wife that they might be armed.

You just never know over here. There's a guy lives near my house. He looks a real Cletus redneck. You almost expect him to say "Yuk Yuk Yuk" hillbilly style when you speak to him. I don't know what he does. He's not a cop because I've never seen him in uniform or any sort of cop attire at all but I drove past his house one day and he was strapping a 9mm to his waist before getting in his car.

regards Worgeordie

Yes, the natives do appear restless.

Shows their low mentality to a "T" !

This has been going on for decades, singers have been shot before and bombs have gone off at such events (70's and 80's), nothing new here. Usually they attack then run off through the crowd, then there is a chase for the attacked one to get his revenge. They rarely stand and fight one on one, Thailand not Kansas!

When sharing space with Thai people remember that most Thai people cannot cope with public humiliation. It is possible to humiliate some Thai people without having any idea that you have been rude or unreasonable. If you humiliate a Thai person they will hate you. When a Thai person hates you the will be obsessed with finding a way to resolve that pain. In such circumstances that Thai person will represent danger in you life indefinitely.

This emotional make up is a cultural fact that blights the lives of many Thai people. They are not bad. As guests in Thailand we should always do our best to treat Thai citizens with respect. That means at the very least so not challenge Thai people at anytime, and especially in public and when you are drinking alcohol. Just be a good mannered visitor and be respectful at all times.

Smile greet them, keep 99% at arms length, I never drink in Thai groups, or most of their venues. I do love it here BUT without big involvement, not giving opportunities and never out late, this is a no no. The shopping and normal places are fine, and never wonder off the beaten track.

Temples we regard as safe places because we think they are a haven, BUT for movies-dances-at night nnnoooooooooo. Why don't all these venues be staged in school grounds / football fields, ???? MONEY--drinking alcohol/smoking in temple grounds should be a no no plus late night noise, and especially after midnight as in this case. No need for gigs etc to go on that late, Thais never know when to stop.

How about a search prior to enter for weapons drugs-alcohol. would help.

When s

Temples we regard as safe places because we think they are a haven, BUT for movies-dances-at night nnnoooooooooo. Why don't all these venues be staged in school grounds / football fields, ???? MONEY--drinking alcohol/smoking in temple grounds should be a no no plus late night noise, and especially after midnight as in this case. No need for gigs etc to go on that late, Thais never know when to stop.

It is rare for a temple concert to drag onto 1 am, normally 12 or just after is closing time. Drinks are normally not allowed in wat grounds, but sometimes you can buy and of course 7/11 is always down the road. Security is usually a joke at such events and the Pattaya music festival is the only time I have ever seen people searched, although they went too far in confiscating umbrellas, pens and combs!

Such concerts are held at all sorts of venues, I have been to them even at morchit, the airport and at the railway station in bkk, as well as football fields, markets, parks, Schools, Universities, waste ground and just about anywhere you could think of. The wat fair has a long tradition and it's not going to change any time soon, I hope, as it's one of Thailand's cultural highlights, killings excluded.

Edited by sms747

When s

It is rare for a temple concert to drag onto 1 am, normally 12 or just after is closing time. Drinks are normally not allowed in wat grounds, but sometimes you can buy and of course 7/11 is always down the road. Security is usually a joke at such events and the Pattaya music festival is the only time I have ever seen people searched, although they went too far in confiscating umbrellas, pens and combs!

Such concerts are held at all sorts of venues, I have been to them even at morchit, the airport and at the railway station in bkk, as well as football fields, markets, parks, Schools, Universities, waste ground and just about anywhere you could think of. The wat fair has a long tradition and it's not going to change any time soon, I hope, as it's one of Thailand's cultural highlights, killings excluded.

A Wat fair is fine, if it is a said fair, when it comes to events that go against Buddhism -should be a no no.

A line should be drawn when it comes to extra late venues. No need for very late do's - especially now when known trouble is on the increase and the venue is rural with little police cover. Usually excessive alcohol-drugs the main culprits. near no control -parental-law. only the aftermath to try to get the culprits.

Prevention better than cure

When s

A Wat fair is fine, if it is a said fair, when it comes to events that go against Buddhism -should be a no no.

A line should be drawn when it comes to extra late venues. No need for very late do's - especially now when known trouble is on the increase and the venue is rural with little police cover. Usually excessive alcohol-drugs the main culprits. near no control -parental-law. only the aftermath to try to get the culprits.

Concerts are an integral part of a wat fair, can't recall going to one without some form of concert, sometimes also likay and the open air cinema. Often a wat fair concert will not start until 9 in order to give time for people to make a merit, so the concert is only 3 hours long. Thais do not consider that wat fairs and concerts go against Buddhism.

Concerts are an integral part of a wat fair, can't recall going to one without some form of concert, sometimes also likay and the open air cinema. Often a wat fair concert will not start until 9 in order to give time for people to make a merit, so the concert is only 3 hours long. Thais do not consider that wat fairs and concerts go against Buddhism.

Thais don't consider agree because they are there to enjoy they don't give a dam. I don't consider fairs and concerts are against Buddhism BUT that doesn't say that it's not good in eyes of Buddhism when smoking-fighting-alcohol-drugs well known at these venues.. Do you actually believe up to 9pm most of young Thai go to make merit---no way. similar to Christians do not have a mega following of young people who worship. ask a young Thai if they attend temples regular---you will get your answer.

concerts--fine, movies--fine so for some making merit---smoking drugs-fighting-alcohol are in order. RESPECT in the grounds of the WAT is the order of the day.

It's really up to Thais what they want to consider respectful behaviour in wats, just how many wats and fairs have you been to? - there are always plenty of young people there. It's not true Thais only go to wat fairs to enjoy themselves, merit making is taken very seriously, even if we think it makes no sense. I'd much rather see families going to wat fairs that being stuck at home glued to the TV.

• Like 1

It's really up to Thais what they want to consider respectful behaviour in wats, just how many wats and fairs have you been to? - there are always plenty of young people there. It's not true Thais only go to wat fairs to enjoy themselves, merit making is taken very seriously, even if we think it makes no sense. I'd much rather see families going to wat fairs that being stuck at home glued to the TV.

Living here with 32 years experience you guess, Mostly rural. Yes it is up to them don't argue with that, I never said that there were not young people there, most are. <deleted> do you think fairs are for if not for enjoyment--please--- I think making merit makes sense to the real believers, and I do not dispute your last sentence.

Regarding how many have I been to---10 times more than you I guess--why ask ???

All I know is most people do not go regular to temples, but good for them that do. I do not wish to argue with you just share what I observe over time. If your opinion is as shown I cannot change that, maybe looking at it from all sides will give you more insight. Areas differ, some small rural villagers are fanatics for want of a better word. keep smiling, ginjag