New employer says I must leave the country to get a new WP

Last month I posted on here about changing my Work Permit from self employed in Chiang Mai to employed in Bangkok. Well thanks to the experts on this forum I was able to download a cancellation form and power of attorney and send them to my father in law in Chiang Mai. He even managed to get them to post date the cancellation so it expired yesterday. I have a non imm B visa stamp until 24th December, but legally I believe I should leave in the next 7 days. The person my new employer has designated to help foreign staff get WP's says I should leave the country and come back on a 15 day entry stamp and she can then get the WP. The reason I'm querying it is that she doesn't, I gather have a very good track record.

My question is. can I use my existing non imm B and a letter of employment from the school to get a new WP or is this lady correct and that I must leave now and return on a 15 day stamp? Also where is the labour office in Bangkok as I might get my wife to go and talk to them as she's good at that kind of thing.

Thanks for any advice.

If you are on an extension of stay you must leave the country on date your job ended there is no 7 day period. In order to get the 7 days you need to apply for an extension and pay 1900 baht and cancel your extension showing document that your work permit was cancelled.

Not sure a 15 day entry would be acceptable or even long enough to get work permit application done.

As a teacher you could get a new non-b w

Your Non Immigrant 'B' Visa Stamp expiring on the 24th of December is from a border entry based on a what was a valid non immigrant 'B' Visa and thus the 90 day entry stamp remains valid even though your WP is cancelled and your original visa is past it's 'Use Before' date.

Your new employer I guess is either not familiar with the regulations or is wrongly assuming you have an extension of permission to stay.

The new WP can certainly be issued against this 90day stamp.

Exiting Thailand now is 100% the wrong thing to do as you will end up with a visa exempt 15 or 30 day stamp, neither of which can be used for the issue of your new WP and thus you would need to then make a visa run to get a non immigrant 'B' at a later date.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Just something to consider when/if you do an extension of stay after you get sorted out. If your wife is Thai, look at doing the extension based on being married to a Thai. Then if you change jobs again, the extension is not based on employment so doesn't end when your job does.

Sorry it's off topic, just looking ahead a bit.

I am not on an extension of stay, Ubonjoe, I am on a non imm B issued at Hull, UK.

Is it at all feasible to use my existing non imm B to apply for a WP?

It seems perfectly feasible to me. In my day, a person was entitled to start work on the day they applied for the WP. Obviously one had to stop working immediately, if it was turned down for any reason. However, they love to change the rules here, so check it out. You have 2 months left on your visa, so why you should go abroad to get a 15 day visa, is beyond me.