Naklua Bars Closed Down

mickjn

I recentley stayed in Naklua for a while.I walked up from where the Lek Villa is I think 18/1 to 18 and down to the group of bars where TJLadyboys bar is the first one.On the walk I was amazed how many bars were closed,good bars,Linda Sing a Song,Tonys,even the Drum and Monkey.The Bamboo Tattoo boys are gone but I found them in TJs complex.The Barracuda 2 has gone and shifted into where TJs is to,now called the Blue Marlin.On the other side of the road I noticed the Esos had moved into a small complex.Also down 18 near where TJs is there used to be a massage shop with 10 girls out front now gone.I spoke to the Bamboo Tattoo boys and they said rent up up,but it is hard to imagine so many bars are gone.Has anyone got any ideas about this.Thank you

Low season kills many bars in more vibrant and accessible parts of Pattaya/Jomtien and considering that there's bugger all night life in Naklua itself, why would anyone venture beyond the roundabout? Once you go over the hill, and past Soi Potisan, there's bugger all. Sure there's the hole-in-the-wall favorites for the locals residing in the area but there's not even enough hotels to guarantee any regular flow of punters. It's mostly Asian and Russian guests in the hotels out that way and they are bused into Pattaya and back. About 5-6 years ago, some nice, new bars and restaurants opened up and they were undeniably busy but in typical Thai copy-cat style, dozens of other lackluster beer bars and eateries sprang up in between the decent ones and killed it all.

Well, I can't speak to the specifics of bars in Naklua. But what you are describing has been happening for several years now. With the 2008 "Financial Crisis" and the slightly later "Euro Crisis", far fewer European and North American visitors are able to repeat their, previously frequent, "two-week millionaire" tours to the bars of Pattaya.

They have been replaced by large numbers of Russians who buy a lot of their beers from 7-11s and Family Marts. Also, an increasing number of Chinese on organized package tours that usually don't include the beer bars of Pattaya and Naklua.

• Like 1

Inflation in Thailand is out of control.....each visit to the shops sees yet another increase. Miniumum wage and price hikes to cover is a vicious circle seen in many nations in the 70's..also as mentioned the tourists now especially in Naklua are non european.

I heard through the grapevine the following. Bars on Soi 18 were closed as their lease term had expired and the owner increased rents to an extraordinary level. So the bars moved out.

Bars like the Drum and the Monkey (but also the neighbouring restaurant ‘Haus Munchen’) had (as per order of city hall) to remove the front area. This was a more or less illegal structure built as an extension to the existing building. City Hall seems to be keen on building codes. The D & M is still open.

I agree there is a lot of construction work going on on Naklua Road (specifically from the roundabout to corner Soi 18).

I heard through the grapevine the following. Bars on Soi 18 were closed as their lease term had expired and the owner increased rents to an extraordinary level. So the bars moved out.

Bars like the Drum and the Monkey (but also the neighbouring restaurant ‘Haus Munchen’) had (as per order of city hall) to remove the front area. This was a more or less illegal structure built as an extension to the existing building. City Hall seems to be keen on building codes. The D & M is still open.

I agree there is a lot of construction work going on on Naklua Road (specifically from the roundabout to corner Soi 18).

OK Sir I got a photo from a friend and she is working at the Drum and Monkey and as you say it is open.I think it was 3 weeks at the most I was there at the old Tiger Bar which is now a Thai Bar and the Drum and Monkey was closed.I thought they would all be in trouble if is was closed because they used to do a bit of bussiness in there.Maybe the others will open again to.Thanks for the explination