Refused entry into Singapore

I've read a number of reports about young Thai women being refused entry into Singapore, and yesterday my sister in law was refused entry and returned to Thailand.

My sister in law does visit Singapore quite a lot as she has a Singaporean boyfriend who is in the army, she last visited last month.

She flew in yesterday morning as she and her boyfriend had intended attending a friends wedding together on Saturday, but the Immigration Officer wouldn't allow her to enter, her request that she be allowed to call her boyfriend, who was waiting for in the arrivals hall, met with a refusal and indeed the IO wouldn't allow her to call anyone and kept hold of her phone.

On her return last night I tried to ascertain the reason for her refusal but she claims the IO gave her no reason other than you're not coming in this time, but certainly she was given no paperwork and there was no entry in her passport.

She was held in a lounge, where she was able to make contact with her boyfriend, the staff there apparently told her that this seems to be happening a lot of late, adding that the IO's like to exercise their power, I don't know how true this is.

I accept that the IO's are there to protect the borders and can have a difficult job, but this refusal seems to based on racial profiling and is worrying, as was the temporary confiscation of her phone and the refusal of the IO to speak to her boyfriend or allow her to do so.

The IO apparently told her that if she wanted to see her boyfriend then he should fly to Bangkok, and indeed that's what he did last night.

I don't believe that she would have caused a scene at Immigration as she is too shy and nervous.

On her return she just shrugged her shoulders at the whole experience, adding that "it's because I'm Thai" my wife took the same view, in my view that was probably the saddest part of the whole incident.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you are able to pursue the matter and find an exact reason for their refusal and that you can post the information here. During her previous visits did she ever stay beyond the period of her Visa or did she ever have any problems with the authorities? I just find it incredible that someone has adhered to the laws and rules during previous visits but that they suddenly now react in this way?

• Like 1

I hope you are able to pursue the matter and find an exact reason for their refusal and that you can post the information here. During her previous visits did she ever stay beyond the period of her Visa or did she ever have any problems with the authorities? I just find it incredible that someone has adhered to the laws and rules during previous visits but that they suddenly now react in this way?

Yes she has visited often before, no she has never overstayed though of course being Thai she doesn't need a visa, she has never worked there and never come to the attention of the authorities, she just visits her boyfriend.

Yes I will follow it up, subject to her ok, as I say at the moment she just shrugs her shoulders, but whether they will communicate with me as a third party I have no idea.

Thai nationals can enter Singapore without a visa. Why was the lady refused entry?

Yes they can, but as I said "she claims the IO gave her no reason other than you're not coming in this time, but certainly she was given no paperwork and there was no entry in her passport", as you know being eligible and even having a visa doesn't guarantee entry.

She did add that there were other Thais in the "refusal lounge" waiting to be returned home.

we all know why they are getting refused, too many go there for immoral purposes and it ruins it for the rest

Immoral in your eyes, a living to millions worldwide !!

I am not in charge of SIN immigration, they are and in their eyes prostitution is immoral, hence the problem.

we all know why they are getting refused, too many go there for immoral purposes and it ruins it for the rest

"they"? so racial profiling is ok?

So it would seem to SIN immigration, at least they are not a pushover like some places, more like sexual profiling though as I don't hear of Thai men being refused.

I am not in charge of SIN immigration, they are and in their eyes prostitution is immoral, hence the problem.

No, it's illegal. Not immoral

But not every Thai woman seeking to enter Singapore, or NZ, Oz, UK, EU, is a prostitute.

• Like 1

Did your SiL have a copy of the wedding invitation to demonstrate the bona-fides of her visit?

No, but I understand her boyfriend did and he was waiting in the arrivals hall, the IO seemingly refused to allow her to call him or even speak to him himself.

Well, given that information ... definitely more then a bit harsh.

• Like 1

Not uncommon for IO's around he world to question a Thai citizens intentions... Whether it's morally right or wrong is open to discussion.

My wife has had a couple of 'queries' over the years we've travelled together, upon entering HK this year from Macau she got a grilling from the HK IO, I pissed myself laughing as did we all - yes the female IO had a chuckle when I came back to figure out what was the hold up and was asked if my wife was my wife, I reluctantly acknowledged that my wife was telling the truth, I said to the IO that it was the matching wedding bands that gave it away ;)

The IO turned the tables and said it was the fact that my wife's handbag wasn't a fake that gave it away :P

I've seen the Singaporean IO's get right stuck into SEA females, pulling them out of line and sending them to another counter to the right of the main desks. They've got a right to be suspicious though, it's their job. They're quite the sticklers when it comes to enforcing their own interpretations.

But all one needs to do is take a captain cook at Craigslist to realise the IO's are well within their discretionary allowance to behave as such...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I really don't think they think prostitution os immoral. Have you ever been to Geylang? Street upon street upon street is full of ladies of the night. I have bever seen anything like it or on such a grand scale.Many Thai, majority Chinese and so on. And it is quite normal for a local Sing man to have a mistress from China who he drinks with and his buddies too while the wife is at home. Does the wife know? Yes most of the time.

It could be something as simple as the way she was dressed this time. If she looked too sexy etc and the immigration staff had maybe just had a pep talk before the shift started, or the IO had just had a bad morning... banal but possible..

Entirely speculation on my part, given there isn't too much rhyme or reason it it, but it probably comes down to the fact that she visits there quite often, perhaps too often in their eyes. Not sure how long she stays, but I'm guessing that her average length of stay might be another factor.

Entirely unfair, i know, as it is possible for someone to come and go regularly, without too many issues, and for others, like your SIL, to be pulled up.

FWIW, I'm an Australian PP holder, and I got pulled up at LHR earlier this year. This is despite the fact that I an expired, but legit UK 'green card' in my passport. I was there assisting on Thai government business (was travelling with RTG officals), and it took alot of convincing the bloke that despite the fact I had a green card (and could have extended it easily) I chose to leave the UK voluntarily all those years ago as I did not have any intention on living on a rainy cold island in the North Sea, and still didn't. It took him a while to compute that fact, but I was evenutally let through.

They are a breed onto themselves.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

why do they need agent 'boyfriends' if they need no visa to start with?

You are confused between the requirement for a visa (or lack of in this case) and permission to enter a country.

Regardless of the visa requirement an immigration official still makes the final decision and when checks are performed this fake boyfriend on the other-side can make the difference between entry and refusal.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

Thai nationals can enter Singapore without a visa. Why was the lady refused entry?

All countries have the right to refuse entry. Singapore authorities are well aware that a lot of Thai ladies going there for 14 day trips are working in various establishments. They are probably basing it on the amount of trip, and how frequent. It's unfortunate, that genuine tourists may get tarred with the same brush as the hookers that are in and out of Singapore frequently.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, Immigration Officers in Singapore have wide powers of discretion and it seems that an appeal to a Senior Officer is pointless. Very unfair this but understandable given the large numbers of Thai Women entering the State and bound of Geylang Immigration do not always get it right.

Unfortunately, Immigration Officers in Singapore have wide powers of discretion and it seems that an appeal to a Senior Officer is pointless. Very unfair this but understandable given the large numbers of Thai Women entering the State and bound of Geylang Immigration do not always get it right.

I hate this word discretion, all it means is the IO or whoever can do what he/she wants. No one should have any discretion, it is not right that anyone should be able to treat someone according to the kind of day they are having, people should have to go by the rules of the country, company etc, and should need to have a reason for any decision they make.