Driving over 200KM/H on the Highway

Angeledge777

I've exceeded that speed a couple of times...

Both times the road (Motorway / Tollway) were empty... the cars I was driving on those occasions were stable and comfortable at these speeds.

This was a number of years ago, I've not had the opportunity to reach such speeds again as there have been other road users.

When amongst other vehicles I'm not comfortable exceeding the general flow of traffic by significant amounts.. (i.e. I'll do 140kmh on an expressway and pass a car doing 120 kmh).

Cars and tyres these days can comfortably handle those speeds as can the roads such as the elevated expressway and motorways which are enclosed with no risk of bikes or other cars pulling out.

Yeah great stuff, when was the last time you drove the HW#9 north of Bkk to Bang Pa In?

Trucks doing 40 in the inside, trucks doing 45 trying to overtake them, Somchai in his overladen pick up who has never heard of down shiffting pulling out to do 60 kmph all the while you are trying your best to overtake these upcountry shitkickers who think they are back in upcountry Buriram.

Frightening, not for the feint hearted.

Did 200 in a ford focus between Uttaradit and Phitsanulok. Was just testing it out and that kind of speed can only be done safely on a few Thai roads, with excellent visibility and no traffic about. I wouldn't make a habit of it, certainly.

PS - can anyone tell what car that is in the OP from the look of the dash?

It's An '09 Toyota Yaris

I drove at 240kph in Germany, on roads that could handle it, in traffic that expects vehicles of that speed to be on the road. If you have never driven at that speed its still manic in those conditions, a quarter mile in 6 seconds.

You would need to be deranged to try that on most Thai roads, driving conditions are erratic enough, the trucks here in particular would wipe you out.

This is how I imagine you on autobahn!rolleyes.gif

attachicon.gif115525-side-wheel-driving-car-dist-431x300.jpg

I hope you're not suggesting the Blether needs to lose a few kilos...... smile.png

• Like 1

Driving 120KM/H on Chalong Rat expressway and 100KM/H on mittraphap and all the other highways in Thailand. The road conditions are not appropriate for high speed and as you never know when there's a construction site, a hole in the pavement or someone's driving at 20KM/H on the right lane, it's more appropriate to keep the speed down.

• Like 2

I drove at 240kph in Germany, on roads that could handle it, in traffic that expects vehicles of that speed to be on the road. If you have never driven at that speed its still manic in those conditions, a quarter mile in 6 seconds.

You would need to be deranged to try that on most Thai roads, driving conditions are erratic enough, the trucks here in particular would wipe you out.

In a good car on a good street with little traffic 240 is not difficult.

And surely easier than driving 50 inside Bangkok.