Driving over 200KM/H on the Highway

Angeledge777

Driving to Chonburi one Saturday morning and had six cars (all Porsche) fly past me one after the other doing over 200kph like they owned the highway. If you drive a fast and expensive car then the police might be wary of trying to stop you because they probably think you are someone rich and important... or an African chief...

Edited by kkerry
  • Like 2

Driving to Chonburi one Saturday morning and had six cars (all Porsche) fly past me one after the other doing over 200kph like they owned the highway. If you drive a fast and expensive car then the police might be wary of trying to stop you because they probably think you are someone rich and important... or an African chief...

Just to add to this statement:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/05/13681524-car-crash-politics-laws-dont-touch-rich-in-thailand

Whatever is your status, driving this speed on Thailand's roads is just about being an idiot. They probably forgot that money won't resurect them once they died.

• Like 1

An achievement finding a stretch of road capable of even getting that high a speed.

I spotted a lovely red avantador in hua hin a few days ago and felt sorry for the guy 1. He paid over the odds 2. No road capable of driving the car at speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

A friend of mine on his yamaha 1000 slowly rode up to a highway police car doing 180 and when he passed them they gave him the thums up and urged him to go for it which he promtly did by go one gear down and twist the throttle and did over 230.biggrin.png

Stuff like that makes it fun to live here compared to the nanny state at homethumbsup.gif

Nissan March around 130 and I'm proud of it , Fast enough for me.

It's aversion of The Micra, and we used to have these as pool cars when I worked in the UK for the NHS, used to love racing against one another when we were on an emergency call.

Did 200 in a ford focus between Uttaradit and Phitsanulok. Was just testing it out and that kind of speed can only be done safely on a few Thai roads, with excellent visibility and no traffic about. I wouldn't make a habit of it, certainly.

PS - can anyone tell what car that is in the OP from the look of the dash?

Edited by 15Peter20

I drove at 240kph in Germany, on roads that could handle it, in traffic that expects vehicles of that speed to be on the road. If you have never driven at that speed its still manic in those conditions, a quarter mile in 6 seconds.

You would need to be deranged to try that on most Thai roads, driving conditions are erratic enough, the trucks here in particular would wipe you out.

Edited by theblether
  • Like 1

If a person buys a car that can do 230kph, why would they want to drive at 80kph?

Might as well drive a Mira. wink.png

Great stuff, go for it, please try that on the HW#24, after you go throught Buriram on the way to Prasart.

On that road I drive at buffalo speed, coz of the buffalo coming at me three abreast in the opposite direction.

• Like 1

I drove at 240kph in Germany, on roads that could handle it, in traffic that expects vehicles of that speed to be on the road. If you have never driven at that speed its still manic in those conditions, a quarter mile in 6 seconds.

You would need to be deranged to try that on most Thai roads, driving conditions are erratic enough, the trucks here in particular would wipe you out.

This is how I imagine you on autobahn!rolleyes.gif

post-137512-0-97236900-1382714713_thumb.

If a person buys a car that can do 230kph, why would they want to drive at 80kph?

Might as well drive a Mira. wink.png

Great stuff, go for it, please try that on the HW#24, after you go throught Buriram on the way to Prasart.

On that road I drive at buffalo speed, coz of the buffalo coming at me three abreast in the opposite direction.

Haven't driven 200kph on that road, but 170 several times as that was all my Vios would go, and yes have met once a whole herd buffalo's crossing the road just after the curve past the weigh station.

Scary moment I can assure you, but my rally experience in a previous life saved the situation.

I've exceeded that speed a couple of times...

Both times the road (Motorway / Tollway) were empty... the cars I was driving on those occasions were stable and comfortable at these speeds.

This was a number of years ago, I've not had the opportunity to reach such speeds again as there have been other road users.

When amongst other vehicles I'm not comfortable exceeding the general flow of traffic by significant amounts.. (i.e. I'll do 140kmh on an expressway and pass a car doing 120 kmh).

Cars and tyres these days can comfortably handle those speeds as can the roads such as the elevated expressway and motorways which are enclosed with no risk of bikes or other cars pulling out.

This is how I imagine you on autobahn!rolleyes.gif

attachicon.gif115525-side-wheel-driving-car-dist-431x300.jpg

In light of your big pussy management style I'd be expecting you to drive this

funny-car1.jpg

• Like 2

Wish my Ford Ranger could go that fast smile.png

Same here.

They might do. Just you'll run out of road/ continent before they do. tongue.png

Considering they have a speed limiter no amount of road/continent will ever allow it to reach 200km/h, 180km/h aint an issue though.

Edited by Spoonman