Rail line to Bangkok delayed opening till 1st December !

worgeordie

The State Railways report the opening of the Chiang Mai- Bangkok

line will be delayed until 1st December 2013.

It is reported this is due to shortage of manpower and rain.

This seems to be one of the problems in Thailand,with so many things

wait till its broken then fix it,skimp on maintenance to save money in

the short term,which creates long term problems.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Took this photo earler in the week. New sleepers laid Saraphi. The old wooden sleepers were really rotted. They're still piled up by Saraphi station.
The photo also shows that stone foundation has been laid for a possible second line. Don't know how far this extends, but a second line would certainly decrease travel time, cutting delays waiting for train coming the opposite way to clear the section.
post-99758-0-63713900-1382603002_thumb.j
Edited by MESmith
  • Like 1

My photo doesn't show it, but if you look at the relaid track from the side, it looks like a roller coaster. I hope the weight of the trains will bed it down flatter.

They've built in some jumps at a few bridges!

My photo doesn't show it, but if you look at the relaid track from the side, it looks like a roller coaster. I hope the weight of the trains will bed it down flatter.

Roller coaster rail line,a world first, will be a surge in ticket sales if word gets out.

That's not how it works you put in a road bed that will not bed down differently. If one section goe's down the whole line goes down.

As I said I wonder if they did any thing about a proper road bed apparently not.

• Like 2

That's not how it works you put in a road bed that will not bed down differently. If one section goe's down the whole line goes down.

As I said I wonder if they did any thing about a proper road bed apparently not.

Road bed whats that? whistling.gif Any side bets for the first derailment.?whistling.gif

I think he was joking!

The bed has been/is being built, for some reason they have attached the new sleepers to the tracks before laying them, but I'm no railway engineer, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think he was joking!

The bed has been/is being built, for some reason they have attached the new sleepers to the tracks before laying them, but I'm no railway engineer, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Whilst "rollercoaster" is an exaggeration, the bed doesn't look as if it's been compacted. I'm no railway engineer either, but it just doesn't look right. You can see the undulations along the track.

I'll have another look on Monday & take some pics.

Edited by MESmith

MCOT Photo

x13827594741350.jpg.pagespeed.ic.PTEZcop

In that photo looks like track is sloping left, hope its just a camera angle, They should get the Japanese in to build it,

they are experienced at building railways in Thailand under difficult conditions !!

regards Worgeordie

MCOT Photo

In that photo looks like track is sloping left, hope its just a camera angle, They should get the Japanese in to build it,

they are experienced at building railways in Thailand under difficult conditions !!

regards Worgeordie

Sorry to disappoint you but they had the Koreans do it for them.

But they are probably the best bet for the price and doing it right.

• Like 1

MCOT Photo

regards Worgeordie

Think back I thought it was the Brits,Aussies, Kiwis, Thais, etc regards Worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie

MCOT Photo

regards Worgeordie

Think back I thought it was the Brits,Aussies, Kiwis, Thais, etc regards Worgeordie

You are rite it was them who built it. How ever it was Koreans running the show.

One of the cemeteries has a plaque that says after they completed the rail road the

Koreans turned it over to the Japanese and their living conditions got better.

Don't know if you have been there but it is a trip well worth taking in my opinion.

The Australian Government has built and maintained a system of very well built

stairs and ramps down to Hells Fire Pass. Also three cemeteries that are kept up

very well when we were in one of them there was a team of 4 or 5 Thais polishing

and putting some sort of sealer on every one of the Plaques they all had the name

and who they had served with as well as being laid out in straight rows.

I still think the Japanese would be the best bet to do proper maintenance on the rail

roads in Thailand.

From what I remember reading (only as good as the source), there were 45,000 Korean slaves killed when the US dropped the bomb on Japan. That is a huge number. ah, horrible history.

anyhow, I took the train once and liked it. I also was dragging a bike box weighing over 20kg...plus 2 other bags. I wonder how hard it would have been to drag them around after a derailment.

Two images showing the roller coaster effect MESmith was talking about.

Now, south north of Pa Sao station, there are three vehicles who seem to be laying the track properly. Pa Sao to Lamphun the track is complete bar a few things that need tidying up at crossings and the stations.

IMG20131027001.jpg

IMG20131027003.jpg

• Like 1

Now, south north of Pa Sao station, there are three vehicles who seem to be laying the track properly. Pa Sao to Lamphun the track is complete bar a few things that need tidying up at crossings and the stations.

IMG20131027001.jpg

IMG20131027003.jpg

Great shots. I am not an authority on the subject but it dosen't look good to me.

I am sure that there are many more sections of the rail line in the same condition.

It indicates to me that not a great deal of care was taken in the base preperation.

I don't doubt that there is a certain amount of lee way but I don't know what it is.

Maybe some one with real knowledge of rail road engineering will know. but it dosen't

look good to me when you can get that much roller coaster affect in that short of a distance.

In road building we called it false grading as the land was to flat for the water to run off

so they would build it up and down like that then put in catch basins in the low points.

• Like 1

Are you saying that the "three vehicles" are correcting this roller coaster effect?

Great shots. I am not an authority on the subject but it dosen't look good to me.

I am sure that there are many more sections of the rail line in the same condition.

It indicates to me that not a great deal of care was taken in the base preperation.

I don't doubt that there is a certain amount of lee way but I don't know what it is.

Maybe some one with real knowledge of rail road engineering will know. but it dosen't

look good to me when you can get that much roller coaster affect in that short of a distance.

In road building we called it false grading as the land was to flat for the water to run off

so they would build it up and down like that then put in catch basins in the low points.

Dolly, I do like it it when you post on matters you know about wai.gif

I've got family coming to visit me in Chiang Mai in early Feb and despite the Dec 1 claim, I doubt it will be ready by Feb 1. While I am (almost) sure the train will be safe from derailments (I'd ride it), I just told them to fly. I really wouldn't bet on it being repaired by then. Who knows.

I would expect the line to be open in December. The work close to Chiang Mai has only begun in the last couple of weeks & is nearly finished. I would imagine they started work at the southern end when they closed the line & are finishing at the Chiang Mai end.

Are you saying that the "three vehicles" are correcting this roller coaster effect?

One is moving up and down the rollercoaster bit carrying stuff, one is moving along very slowly pushing the sleepers flat and the third pushing rocks into the gaps after the second has sorted the sleepers.

They are just south of Saraphi station heading north, the finished product looks good.

The flattened pathway to the east of the tracks is either for road vehicle access during the repairs or for a second track. Twin tracks to Lamphun and an hourly commuter train would be possible! No chance though.