Annoying 7-Eleven doorbell only in Thailand?

Dag Ekeberg

So, is it only in Thailand? And if so, why? There are always plenty of kids in green shirts milling about the counter, no way they’re going to miss a new customer.
I suspect the next post will be a praise of the new bahtbus air horns. The more noise the better.

I have no idea why you want this apparently useless information,but for what it's worth,my hearing is not that great,but I once lived a good 300 yards away from a 7/11 and could hear the door bell plainly. In towns and cities, 7/11 bells can be heard quite a long way away.To analyse: the sound is very distinctive,and can be heard from quite a distance,the benefits are quite obvious. In Cities could it be the loudest bell may attract the most customers? who are not familiar with the area? especially considering,there are sometimes 3 x 7/11s in one sizeable street,we are talking about Franchisees here,so most things will have been considered one way or another.

Supermarkets are very good at making products more appealing by stealth,such as putting chewing gum,sweets that appeal only to children,any expensive mini plastic toys,to placate bored kids,Top up phone cards,and last minute items,such as Razors,the customer forgot!at the check out,which don't sell on the shelves.Nobody wants to be seen buying Condoms,or Female Hygiene products,so if you haven't already noticed,they are usually in the most easily accessible place,at the check out.

Shopping has come a long way,it's now a Science,how they gently part us from our money.

Edited by MAJIC

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, like the previous post said, as much as the bell can be annoying it is an easy way to locate a more or less hidden 7-11 just by the signature noise the bell produce.

During my month in Thailand I almost only relied on this noise as in some places they can be hard to locate with the eye.

That is why they didn't find me dried, thanks to the bell, ... Joke apart. I do think that this is only required in cities or places where store are stacked up, or spread, but not easy to see, like Thailand.

I remember look for a precise travel agency to buy a last minute Thai Air plane ticker, even Foursquare wasn't of help, took me two hours to locate the store that was in front of my nose on top of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

The doorbell at 7-11 is low on my list of noise complaints here. I think number one would be the jingle at global house that is only 15 seconds long but on a permanent loop. I try hard to limit my time in there because more than an hour and I fear I might turn into a spree killer.

Sound trucks and people with bullhorns or PA's in shopping centers are tied for number 2.

Number three for me is scooters with straight pipes.

7-11's doorbell can be a bit jarring in some locations, but generally it is a soothing welcome into a little air conditioned oasis where all manner of treats are waiting for you - that is if you fight well for your place in line.

• Like 1

Every shop in Thailand should have a loud bell and also a hammer that hits the staff on the head. Otherwise customers will be standing around while staff either sleep on play on the phone.

How many times have people walked into some store to find staff asleep and not even wake up, or how many times have people walked into a store to find no one around to serve.

I love it.

I downloaded it and put it on my phone as my incoming text notification (it was either that or Marlon Brando saying "What have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully").

On second thoughts, maybe 7-11 should adopt the Brando notification instead of me adopting their ringtone.

Edited by Jib Teenuc
  • Like 1

Ive spent half an hour on Google and cant seem to find the answer: Does the 7-Eleven chain have such horrendous doorbells in other countries? Or no doorbells? Or softer versions?

I cant believe that people in the west will put up with this earsplitting sound when they enter a store.

I guess someone is really bored and needs a hobby smile.png

I’m so glad you took time out of your busy day to not answer my question.

Anyone has some real input?

Yes I have an Idea, As you walk in the store look on the 2nd Isle on the left and you will see cotton wool buds, Purchase a packet, open it up, select one for each ear and place one in each ear, Problem Solved!!!clap2.gif

Ive spent half an hour on Google and cant seem to find the answer: Does the 7-Eleven chain have such horrendous doorbells in other countries? Or no doorbells? Or softer versions?

I cant believe that people in the west will put up with this earsplitting sound when they enter a store.

I guess someone is really bored and needs a hobby smile.png

I’m so glad you took time out of your busy day to not answer my question.

Anyone has some real input?

I’ve spent half an hour on Google and can’t seem to find the answer: Does the 7-Eleven chain have such horrendous doorbells in other countries? Or no doorbells? Or softer versions?

I can’t believe that people in the west will put up with this earsplitting sound when they enter a store.

Half an hour? Ha ha ha same god damn doorbell in Aus however the sensor is actually set correctly so the doors open when need to not when u have a store full of people and it senses ppl all the way to the counter ;) Was a spoof of boyz in the hood made years back and as they would enter stores the doorbell would chime n***a! Very very funny movie so when im stuck listening to the bell here everyday i laugh instead of jumping the counter and assaulting someone :0

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The doorbell at 7-11 is low on my list of noise complaints here. I think number one would be the jingle at global house that is only 15 seconds long but on a permanent loop. I try hard to limit my time in there because more than an hour and I fear I might turn into a spree killer.

Yeah there's one they were playing on a loop when I was in the food court at Robinson on Sukhumvit. Couldn't get it out of my head for the rest of the day. Thought I was going nuts.

The door bell is for the staff to welcome you, they hear the bell and automatically welcome you....... test yourself.. now watch the staff walk very close by the door without going in, the door opens, the bell rings and they chant the greeting... and no one has even gone into shop

I love that noise, and it is now my ringer on my iphone. I also built in that noise on all my car doors. just classic!!!

I do like to get 100 paper airplanes and constantly toss them near the doors, causing them to open and make that great sound.

they think it's a ghost.

after 8 hours, i get bored.

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

haha good topic, actually let's expand it.. Top 10 annoying sounds you hear in Thailand

#2 - Big C Loudspeaker sales people - The girls that sell juice, fruits or whatever. They are amazingly annoying

If you REALLY REALLY want to buy the same door bell as 7-11 use, why not just write to them and ask for the name of their supplier.of course you could go the whole hog and get their installer to install them on all the doors in your home

Thank you, Jock. Now, people, please be forthcoming with information, this is for a project, it’s important.

OP, admit it. Now that they've got the 500 Baht per tourist on the news, the Ministry of Stupid Projects has asked you to work on this tongue.png

It doesn't bother me, we had a constant battle with shop lifters in the UK, so most shops have door alarms. The alarm is to deter shoplifters and alert staff. It could be worse, they could change the sound to Yodels, but that would probably to your liking. For instance: Frank Ifield's - She taught me to yodel, Yodel-oh-ee-dee-ay-dee.

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 1

So, is it only in Thailand? And if so, why? There are always plenty of kids in green shirts milling about the counter, no way they’re going to miss a new customer.
I suspect the next post will be a praise of the new bahtbus air horns. The more noise the better.

I think you just answered your own question -------THE MORE NOISE THE BETTER.

It also pixxes me off as well, just like the inane announcements in places like Tesco with the DING-DONG, DING-DONG. and then the same childish voice repeating the same thing three or four times. THAI'S just like noise, a bit like American and Canadians that can't stand a second of silence on the TV. Why is it they have ALWAYS got to have music playing, even when someone is speaking?? Beats the life out of me; but even the BBC have got in on the act and started to follow suit.

• Like 1

I just walked out of a 7-11 in Queensland ten minutes ago. Yes, it had a doorbell but it was more melodious and softer on the ear than the Thai ones.

I don't know if they all have them though. From memory, the service (gas) station 7-11's do not.

I trust this is of interest to the members here on TV awaiting the answer.

I'm so excited waiting for the answer. What is it What is it. OMG I'm going to die for the lack of this answer. facepalm.gif Pleeeeeeeeeese someone give the answer I can't stand it any longer. If I don't get the answer within the next few minutes I'm seriously thinking of topping myself.blink.png

Den

Do you think all members are used to the word topping ? Use English so we all know.

I love it.

I downloaded it and put it on my phone as my incoming text notification (it was either that or Marlon Brando saying "What have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully").

On second thoughts, maybe 7-11 should adopt the Brando notification instead of me adopting their ringtone.

LOL, I too have it as my incoming message tone !!!

• Like 1

It's for sure in Singapore and Malaysia as well. Does it bother me? Not at all.