Minimising the risk of mozzie-borne disease ?

MrWorldwide

OK - I know that any body of still water (from a saucer to a lake) - will support breeding mozzies, but when I think of places like CM, Nong Khai and others it quickly becomes apparent that some towns are going to be more prone to breeding large number of mosquitos than others. Are there 'hotspots' for dengue and other diseases within Thailand and, by extension, areas with low infection rates ? I'm assuming the threat is higher after flooding, and that the risk drops off in the cool season up north, but this all pure speculation on my part.

Thanks,

MrWW

Dengue is everywhere. Urban and rural locations both.

Can be caught year round but much more prominent in the rainy season.

Japanese B encephalitis on the other hand is rare in urban areas, mainly rural as pigs are a resevoir. There is an effective vaccine for JE, however.

Malaria is another problem, just read that it is now drug resistant in the Mekong area and this is spreading. Mossies only need a table spoon of water to breed, better to have lots of small fishes in all large pools of water to eat them up. Lemongrass is a natural repellant and will not effect the environment .

There are four strains of dengue, once you get one of them, you are immune to only that strain, getting another strain will be more severe and deadly.

Edited by Cobragold

Apart from taking all the usual precautions, there's not a lot can be done. I understand that you can only get dengue if the mozzie has bitten somebody that already has dengue. To me that means stay well clear of anybody that has dengue, or is displaying symptoms of having it.

Otherwise, wear long pants and long sleeve shirts, apply plenty of repellent, keep the inside of the house clear at all times, sleep under a net. Avoid keeping things outside your house where they can congregate. i.e I once left my golf bag with all zips/pockets open and outside to air after being wet. In the morning I went to move it and 30 million mozzies exited it. I even bring crash helmets and washing in at night to prevent them from congregating there.

And the fish thing does work if you have any water plants etc. If you have pot plants with water trays under them, adios the trays.

Apart from moving to Iceland, there's not too many more ways to avoid the sods.

Malaria is only a problem in the "jungle" areas of the Thai/Cambodian border.

In Thailand Malaria medication is "controlled" but I am unsure about the situation in Cambodia.

In the past "fake" or inappropriate medication has lead to drug resistant strains of malaria emerging.

Unless one spends the night in the jungle the risks remain small if sensible precautions are taken.

Malaria is only a problem in the "jungle" areas of the Thai/Cambodian border.

In Thailand Malaria medication is "controlled" but I am unsure about the situation in Cambodia.

In the past "fake" or inappropriate medication has lead to drug resistant strains of malaria emerging.

Unless one spends the night in the jungle the risks remain small if sensible precautions are taken.

+1 (though I would add Burmese border as well as Cambodian).

Malaria definitely not a concern unless you plan on some very unusual camping out in deep jungle along the border.... In which case you will face some worse risks than just malaria.

Dengue though, you not only can get, but a high proportion of farang sooner or later do. (I've had it 3 times over the years). Chikungunya is also proevalent here, clinically indistinguishable from dengue so often confused with it.

hmmmm

interesting stuff

someone in ch'am told me they dont get these things there or on the coastal areas, true or not???

also all those water pots outsides with fish in them do not attract mosqutios breeding but actually have fish that eat them and the larvae?

then those pots would finally make some sense to me

hmmmm

interesting stuff

someone in ch'am told me they dont get these things there or on the coastal areas, true or not???

also all those water pots outsides with fish in them do not attract mosqutios breeding but actually have fish that eat them and the larvae?

We have several "water pots" which contain water lilies and fish !

No mosquito problem here smile.png

• Like 1

hmmmm

interesting stuff

There is dengue in the coastal areas, too. But the mosquitos do not breed in salt water so they are only where there is standing fresh water like water jars and fresh markets.

• Like 1