Rare modified gun used to kill Jakkrit: forensic chief

Lite Beer

Well if the Thai police already know this much about the weapon used in this murder, why would theey advertise this. If the weapon is not at the bottom of a river, lake, or sewer system at this press release, it should be shortly. Its a wonder they did not give out the serial number and caliber while giving the latest 'its a tough case' press release.

It's said to be a 9mm, but there's more than one type of 9mm.

The OP says that "the gun used in the shooting..." so do they have it? How else would they know it needed to be modified to fire the bullets?

I believe that all 9mm guns are semi-automatic. More accurately I should say I don't know of any. If true the gun ejects the spent rounds and they should be found on the ground, unlike say a revolver.

So if they have a gun thereby knowing it had to be modified because they also have some cartridges in the gun and/or spent casings, then I see nothing wrong with saying it. It might lead to a tip about who had such a gun.

Some Thais are incredibly violent, and life seems so cheap.

There are many 9mm revolvers on the market.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=ruger+9mm+revolver&client=firefox-a&hs=bam&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=XRRtUq3jHIWtrAf9jYDgDA&ved=0CEMQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=629

If there is enough left of the bullet, I suppose origin 'could' be determined - bullets are fairly generic though. Brass or nickel-plated brass casings are usually stamped on the base w/ enough marks to discern manufacture. "Specially modified" sounds strange to me as well as determining where the supposed gun was manufactured. Probably more info here than is public.

people make their own rounds,its quite simple to do,but difficult to master,

there are plenty of odd Russian makes, such as the the Makarov SD which is a silenced version of a common sidearm,

the VSS Vintorez silenced sniper rifle(which is quite short and easily concealed,but only accurate out to about 300 yards(and is typically used closer up),and uses "short",sidearm type 9x39mm heavy armour penetrating rounds...the list could go on!.

As someone pointed out it doesn't say anything about it being a 9mm round,which is not favoured in Russia,

the modification to the gun that is mentioned could be as simple as that the rounds are subsonic,so it was a silenced weapon,

to the other extreme in that they were "hot" rounds like the +JP 9mm rounds which require a stronger barrel,

it's a very vague report,but since we're playing TV CSI anyway smile.png I would guess hand made rounds(it's easy to tell the difference) by a possible member of the shooting community...or that fact is being used as a red herring...isn't wild guesswork fun!

Edited by QualityTouristNumberOne

Could it be that the gun was a 3D printed gun?

That doesn't ring true to me because the OP says that the gun would have to be modified.

I think I could come up with a list of almost 20 different 9mm cartridges, but the "other" one I hear about most is the 9x18 "mak" or "Makarov" but that ammo is still readily available.

The common one is called various names such as 9mm Luger and 9mm Parabellum and 9mm NATO and so on.

Could have been a .38 Special or a .357 magnum or a .380 Auto. The bullet size is approximatly the same size in all these cartridges including all the various types of 9MM

What i found strange is that the rounds they shown on TV last evening both where flatten. They also lay far apart from each other, about 3 to 4 meter.If this are the rounds the criminals used to kill the guy or only thrown on the ground for bringing the police on a wrong leg.

I think it's a little strange that the police can conduct an those rounds what type of modifications are make to the pistol. Maybe they have more information then they show or just fishing with their eyes close.

But, as said in my first comment...check the family ties, alibi's, money movements or missing jewelry.

If they have the gun so that they can make such statements about it having to be modified, then they can prove if the shells on the ground were fired from it. There will be machining marks in the chamber which will imprint into the brass cartridge as the cartridge expands under pressure. The firing pin will also have unique marks in it which will imprint in the metal primer.

They can also retrieve the bullets or even just one and prove it was fired from the gun by the same method - imprints from tooling marks in the barrel.

That doesn't ring true to me because the OP says that the gun would have to be modified.

I think I could come up with a list of almost 20 different 9mm cartridges, but the "other" one I hear about most is the 9x18 "mak" or "Makarov" but that ammo is still readily available.

The common one is called various names such as 9mm Luger and 9mm Parabellum and 9mm NATO and so on.

Ok, you've proved yourself to be a gun expert in your own mind but you don't seem to realise what a "printed" gun is that the satirical post you quoted referred to..."That doesn't ring true to me"!

Do you know what 3D printing is? It is the newest wave of manufacturing and can indeed make a gun. Link

Edited by NeverSure

Could have been a .38 Special or a .357 magnum or a .380 Auto. The bullet size is approximatly the same size in all these cartridges including all the various types of 9MM

I agree that the bullets are about the same size except for weight, but a 9mm wouldn't have the shoulder on the casing to hold it in place in a revolver. All things are possible I suppose, But none of those uses rare ammo and ammo for them is so readily available.

Ok, you've proved yourself to be a gun expert in your own mind but you don't seem to realise what a "printed" gun is that the satirical post you quoted referred to..."That doesn't ring true to me"!

Do you know what 3D printing is? It is the newest wave of manufacturing and can indeed make a gun. Link

Yes but, and it's a big but, the printable gun on its own is not a usable gun, it still needs the metal parts, without them, it is useless.

Sure do. Do you know what satire is?

Well if the Thai police already know this much about the weapon used in this murder, why would theey advertise this. If the weapon is not at the bottom of a river, lake, or sewer system at this press release, it should be shortly. Its a wonder they did not give out the serial number and caliber while giving the latest 'its a tough case' press release.

The OP says that "the gun used in the shooting..." so do they have it? How else would they know it needed to be modified to fire the bullets?

I believe that all 9mm guns are semi-automatic. More accurately I should say I don't know of any. If true the gun ejects the spent rounds and they should be found on the ground, unlike say a revolver.

So if they have a gun thereby knowing it had to be modified because they also have some cartridges in the gun and/or spent casings, then I see nothing wrong with saying it. It might lead to a tip about who had such a gun.

There are many 9mm revolvers on the market.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=ruger+9mm+revolver&client=firefox-a&hs=bam&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=XRRtUq3jHIWtrAf9jYDgDA&ved=0CEMQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=629

Don't 9mm revolvers require rimmed ammunition that is generally cut down / modified to fit. The cases at the scene of this crime were all rimless therefore an automatic was used.

As for knowing the firearm in this case was modified. I guess the firing pin signiture on the precussion cap and extractor markings on the cases may tell them something.

Of course it could be a case of someone using 9mm but with full or half moon clips which means that there would be no empty cases littering the ground. To clarify the issue, 9mm can be shot out of .38, .38 special, .38 plus p, .357 and 9mm revolvers...all you need are the metal/plastic/cardboard clips that hold the rounds in the cylinder!

What a waste of a champion shooter!

It's because they were so pleased with themselves for having done some actualy police work that they had to share.

• Like 1

Of course it could be a case of someone using 9mm but with full or half moon clips which means that there would be no empty cases littering the ground. To clarify the issue, 9mm can be shot out of .38, .38 special, .38 plus p, .357 and 9mm revolvers...all you need are the metal/plastic/cardboard clips that hold the rounds in the cylinder!

What a waste of a champion shooter!

But why would you want to ? It wouldn't be finacially viable. You would just buy a 9mm to start with and be done with it. However in this case the 7.65mm used has a very expensive price tag when it comes to buying ammunition for it. Hence the reason for changing it to 9mm which is much more readily available here in Thailand. Alot of people like exotic firearms but cannot afford to feed them in LOS.