Freelancing in Thailand

I was just wondering how many of you reading this are freelancers here in Thailand?

I just wanted to know what methods you have used to provide a steady income stream. Also, what are your thoughts on sites like oDesk and Elance?

Personally I have just gotten started on oDesk. I keep reading mixed reviews about the site.

Here is a quick plug for my oDesk profile by the way:

https://www.odesk.com/users/~018a7866838adf6966

• Like 1

Is that a website?

Oh dear, methinks you have much to learn grasshopper!

I'm a freelance, but not in the sense you mean (nor the beach road meaning).

I have never had to look for work, it finds me, sometimes rather too much (like buses, nothing for ages then three come at once).

Is that a website?

I have never had to look for work, it finds me, sometimes rather too much (like buses, nothing for ages then three come at once).

Funny, that's what it's like on Beach Road. You see no freelancers for ages and then three of them hit you at once. whistling.gif

• Like 2

Is that a website?

How did that come about?

Is that a website?

"I was just wondering how many of you reading this are freelancers here in Thailand?"

Are you really here in Thailand? Beach Rd. ? Walking Street? Ah to be young and innocent and clearly not a regular TV reader.

The freelancers to which many are none too subtly referring tend to ply their wares on foot:

street-walker.jpg

• Like 1

There is another phrase for freelancing: it is called 'ducking and diving'.

You should stay at home or another metropolitan location (and I am not talking Bangkok here) and establish a career for yourself, otherwise you are going to be chasing your tail for the rest of your life or at least until the magic moment when you wake up and smell the coffee.

Thailand will be a dead end for you. But carry on.......................................

I've been doing freelance work, but with a work permit as required. The only way I see that working is by creating a company. Sometimes freelance customers become regular customers, and that's the situation I'm in now.

I've heard mixed stories about the freelance sites. One of them is that there's a tendency to get underbid by enthusistic Indians, who claims they can do everything in no time. When you hire them, it's usually a different story.

• Like 2

I have a friend who is a Ruby Dev who lives in Rayong and lives off eLance. No dramas at all. Build up a good rep for yourself and you'll be fine.

Work permit for freelancing? Seriously, so long as you're not stupidly posting real details about yourself and that you're working here you won't have a problem? Source: said friend has been here 10+ years with no dramas.

There seems to be a ton of Indian and Pakistani freelance workers working for next to nothing and giving often bad results. If you are good at what you do and can speak fluent English, you should emphasize this, making yourself seem a worthwhile pick over someone working for a tiny amount of money.

But if you work solely with foreign companies and foreign clients operating outside of Thailand, it has nothing to do with Thailand, except that you are taking that money and spending it here. Maybe there is some technicality somewhere, but immigration said it was fine.

As for oDesk and similar sites, for many things it is a race to the bottom. That said, some good gigs come up sometimes and you can make good money, but you have to have a reason for them to pay premium instead of going with an Indian or whatever.

Basically these sex pests are referring to "freelance" prostitutes they pickup on Beach Road in Pattaya. This probably isn't the best place to ask this question because most of these guys are too old to understand the generation branded the "new rich" - i.e. those able to work and travel and make a great living. There are lots of IM guys, coders, freelance writers etc, making good money here. I would definitely check out Guru.com and elance.com too.

• Like 1

You'll need a WP....regardless of what the above post says.

Get caught...bye bye you. And eventually you will get caught.

Ok.....sounds good. Especially since I walked into immigration and told them I was working for foreign companies and explained that no Thais were involved. They said ok, no problem, but if you do work in Thailand with Thai companies or individuals, you will need a different visa. Actually, now I do have that as well, but only for the activities I do here in country that involve Thai companies and people.

I pay all the taxes in the countries where these companies originate and I have authorization to do that work for them legally. How would Thai immigration have anything to say about the work that I do for a Chinese company that has no operations in Thailand, for example? This is ludicrous, and I got it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

I'm curious more than anything, since all my work is referral-based -- but do most people on sites like that quote a similar hourly rate? I.e. US$14-15?

Err. $14-15 per hour?? That's barely UK minimum wage ($10 per hour) sad.png

I won't get out of bed for that!

Absolute minimum of $75-100 per hour is more like smile.png

• Like 1

BS. Speak with any lawyer firm in Thailand and they will tell you the same thing, you don't need a WP. You are not earning baht. You are working from and via US websites. Your clients are all outside of Thailand. Register yourself as self-employed to pay tax in your country of residence and don't take jobs with companies inside Thailand and you will be fine.

• Like 1