Group declares D-Day to oppose Thai amnesty bill

webfact

POLITICS
Group declares D-Day to oppose amnesty bill

The Nation

30218098-01_big.JPG?1382915941805

Assembly of civic groups says members will rally a day after house's 3rd reading

BANGKOK: -- AN UMBRELLA GROUP of government opponents vowed yesterday to hold a mass protest once the controversial amnesty bill clears its third reading in the House.

Leaders of the group, the People's Assembly Reforming Thailand (PART), said its members would mobilise supporters to come out to join the mass rally once the bill was approved in the third reading.

The decision was announced following a meeting at Thammasat University of representatives of civic groups that disagree with the amnesty bill.

The Thammasat Auditorium was jam-packed with representatives of the civil groups when the meeting started at 9am.

The meeting was organised by PART, which acts as an umbrella group for most opponents of the government. Most PART leaders came from the disbanded People's Alliance for Democracy. The People's Army against the Thaksin Regime, which is holding a rally in Lumpini Park, and the Students and People Network for Thailand Reform, which is holding a protest at the Urupong Intersection, also belong to PART.

PART president Somkiart Pongpaibul announced at 2pm that representatives of all civic groups had exchanged opinions and agreed to hold a mass protest to try to block the bill's final passage.

The opponent groups believe the government is abusing its House majority to usurp absolute control of the country and to enact an amnesty bill to whitewash the wrongdoings of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, Somkiart said.

They suspect the government will cede the country's boundary with Cambodia near the Preah Vihear Temple for its own interests, and fear this might be reflected in a ruling of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) on the Preah Vihear dispute on November 11.

Somkiart said the meeting resolved to have him coordinate with leaders of all provincial groups and networks to join the planned mass rally.

"The meeting resolved that the day after the bill is passed in the third reading by the House will be the day for mobilising the people to join the mass rally," Somkiart said.

"All groups can start mobilising protesters immediately without having to wait for PART."

On Saturday, chief government whip Aumnuay Khlangpha said the House was expected to deliberate the Amnesty Bill in the second and third readings in mid-November at the earliest.

Somkiart said the meeting also resolved to have PART support public campaigns, including the rallies by the People's Army and the Urupong demonstrators, as well as protests by rubber growers and a group campaigning to defend Thai territory related to the Preah Vihear dispute.

Somkiart said the meeting also resolved that PART would hold another meeting to map out future moves if the ICJ rules that the area around the Preah Vihear Temple belongs to Cambodia.

Leaders of provincial groups that are members of PART would be told to stay on full alert in preparation to join the mass protest at any time, Somkiart added.

During the meeting, Nititorn Lamlua, an adviser to PART, said he believed Thaksin was planning to have the red shirts clash with the anti-government demonstrators. This would give the government justification to enact a blanket amnesty in the form of an executive decree, without waiting for the long process of enacting the bill to be complete, Nititorn said.

Also yesterday, about 200 members of the Red Sunday group led by Sombat Boongnarmanong gathered at the Ratchaprasong Intersection at noon to protest against the amnesty bill.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-28

Activists nationwide ready for mass anti-govt rallies
By English News

13829278053783.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 28 – A network of civil society movements countrywide vowed to converge on the capital for a mass rally if Thailand's Lower House of Parliament passes the controversial Amnesty Bill in its final reading.

Suriyasai Katasila, central leader in a network across 77 provinces, said demonstrations would be organised to protest two events – the House passage of the Amnesty Bill and the ruling of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in favour of Cambodia on the Preah Vihear temple dispute.

If the House of Representatives passes the bill in its third reading, a mass rally will be called the next day, he said.

The bill, if given a green light in the final reading, must be forwarded to the Senate for deliberation but Mr Suriyasai said the network would not wait until the Upper House debate.

In another crucial incident, he said if Thailand "loses its sovereignty on the Thai-Cambodian border" due to the World Court verdict on November 11, the network will demonstrate the next day.

He said network members were ready to join the civil society activity, he warned, saying he could not limit the time frame of the rally.

The network did not persuade the opposition Democrat Party to join the rally, he said, adding that 60-70 of the 96 persons earlier charged with terrorism would report to the court to seek permission to join the anti-government protest.

Leading members of the network, including Somkiat Pongpaiboon of the People’s Alliance for Democracy, and leaders of the Students and Peoples Network for Thailand’s Reform attended yesterday’s meeting. They vowed to lead upcountry protesters to join the protest. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-28

Good. I wish people in my country would get off their lazy asses and rally when my government fks them over.

Although, I'm not sure what they hope to achieve by rallying against the World Court ruling, or really why that was a part of this story.

Edited by BeforeTigers

Suriyasai Katasila, central leader in a network across 77 provinces, said demonstrations would be organised to protest two events – the House passage of the Amnesty Bill and the ruling of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in favour of Cambodia on the Preah Vihear temple dispute.

Keep the protests separate. Go over to The Hague to protest the ICJ ruling. Protest here against the government for something they have control over.

• Like 2

If the Thais feel aggrieved about losing a small plot of land on the Cambodian border as the result of a decision by a third party imagine how the southern muslims feel about losing Pattani.

When did the southern Muslims lose Pattani? Aren't they still there?

If the Thais feel aggrieved about losing a small plot of land on the Cambodian border as the result of a decision by a third party imagine how the southern muslims feel about losing Pattani.

I doubt there's amybody alive from that time.

Return HK to the Brits I say!!!

I doubt there's amybody alive from that time.

Return HK to the Brits I say!!!

China can keep it.... fragrant harbour my arse!

We'll keep the Rock though. smile.png

When did the southern Muslims lose Pattani? Aren't they still there?

OK.......... lose independent control of Pattani then. rolleyes.gif

International court rulings I thought were obtained for fairness. Aparently not. Actions ate being muddled here and in so doing could go to the advantage of the government.

Sent from my RM-892_apac_laos_thailand_219 using Tapatalk

I applaud their efforts regarding the corrupt gang of crooks trying to bring their leader back, however I wish they would leave the temple issue alone as it cheapens the other. They should concentrate on the main issue and stop acting like children squabbling in the playground over a tiny temple nobody ever even goes to that clearly belongs to Cambodia anyway...

• Like 1