WHY are there no TOILETS at any MRT stations?

chappie1207

BTS stations also have not any toilets, and bus stations have not also, and you can't piss in taxi too. Sorry guy but everyone knows there are not toilets in MRT stations.

Bus stations have toilets but it will cost you 3 baht to use them.

You can piss in a taxi, but I wouldn't recommend it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just look around the SEA region, how many metros have public toilets?

The only one I know of is KL Putra, and they are on the paid side.

Toilets are a cost centre and a potential terrorist target so why install them?

As to BTS and MRT, both have staff toilets, look sufficiently desperate (OK a suitable donation), and you will be allowed access.

Toilets are a terrorist target?

Ha, ha, ha, ha .... no wait ...

Based on the condition of public toilets in Thailand when I enter, maybe you're right!

And all along, I had thought people were just slobs.

Any space in which things can be hidden is indeed regarded as a terrorist target.

There are no public toilets on the London Underground system. The older stations just didn't have them in the first place (they're stations, not places that you are expected to spend any length of time) and the newer ones didn't include toilets in their design.

Main line terminal stations, like Waterloo for instance, do have toilets, but they now have attendants who are there partly to make sure that nothing is left in them (one reason that you now have to pay to use them).

Generally speaking, a station is designed to increase the flow of passengers, ie get them in and out as quickly as possible. I suppose if someone is 'caught short' whilst at a station, that would lead to the 'why isn't there a toilet right next to me, now, when I need one?' sort of question.

But equally valid would be to ask 'why should there be a toilet in a station?'.

It's a place where you get on and off trains, that's it. You're there for minutes, not hours.

You are wrong.

Please find attached a link to a London tube map with all the public toilets clearly marked.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/toilets-map.pdf

Edit: and if I had paid more attention I would have noticed that someone had already pointed out this pressing fact....

Edited by Forethat

maybe the mrt stations have some of the invisible toilets like the ones on the roadside i often see the taxi drivers using

Speaking of travelling ... it does prompt the question ... does the Tardus have a toilet on board?

I'm sure the Dr has to 'go' sometimes?

Ditto his travelling companions.

OH ... my favourite companion was Rose Tyler.

Favourite Doctor, a recent one ... David Tennant ... oh no ... he's Scottish ... facepalm.gif

For an 'older' Doctor ... "Jon" Pertwee

• Like 1

Any space in which things can be hidden is indeed regarded as a terrorist target.

There are no public toilets on the London Underground system. The older stations just didn't have them in the first place (they're stations, not places that you are expected to spend any length of time) and the newer ones didn't include toilets in their design.

Main line terminal stations, like Waterloo for instance, do have toilets, but they now have attendants who are there partly to make sure that nothing is left in them (one reason that you now have to pay to use them).

Generally speaking, a station is designed to increase the flow of passengers, ie get them in and out as quickly as possible. I suppose if someone is 'caught short' whilst at a station, that would lead to the 'why isn't there a toilet right next to me, now, when I need one?' sort of question.

But equally valid would be to ask 'why should there be a toilet in a station?'.

It's a place where you get on and off trains, that's it. You're there for minutes, not hours.

Your last sentence suggests you haven't used London underground for a while......

Or why not on board tuk tuks & taxis. Surely some people desperately need to pee while riding about. At least they should carry bed pans.

mobile-urinal-1.jpg

Or why not some over-flowing, foul smelling Porta-potties on the beach in Pattaya (instead of all those people who've waded out navel-deep standing motionless).

joke+-+funny+pictures+-+outhouse+tipped+

funny-public-toilet-fall.jpg

And while elephant trekking? Hang gliding? Jet-skiing? Window shopping? All of these are pretty much toilet-less!!!

elephant-toilet.jpg

Or how about the Continental solution. How about these every 100 m on Silom Rd? That should cause a few cases of shy-bladder syndrome.

ipad-art-wide-urinalpg3-urinal-420x0.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

Why are there none on any BTS station?

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Because they are train stations.

So you never use the bathroom in a bar or restaurant ?

Cause you don't <deleted> nor pee ,where you eat or drink?

Why do they not have bars and restaurants in the MRT Stations?

There is a bar at Nana Plaze that is made to look like a BTS/MRT station. They do have toilets.

New York is almost as bad.

Toilets are not generally available in the New York City Subway system.

77 of the 468 stations have restrooms, most of these are express stations and terminals at the ends of lines. Only a few of the major stations have restrooms. In Manhattan these include:

http://toilet-guru.com/subway.php

Or more generally:

Why Don't American Subway Stations Have Public Bathrooms?

The question begs the question: How come New York subway stations — or so many American subway stations in general, for that matter — lack facilities? At the World Toilet Summit from 2007, Robert Brubaker and Carol McCreary of the American Restroom Association reported "a general lack of available restrooms for users of public mass transit" in the United States

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commute/2013/01/why-dont-american-subway-stations-have-public-bathrooms/4304/

It's been many years since I last rode the "El" in Chicago, but I don't recall toilets on their boarding platforms either.

Edited by Suradit69

Or how about the Continental solution. How about these every 100 m on Silom Rd? That should cause a few cases of shy-bladder syndrome.

ipad-art-wide-urinalpg3-urinal-420x0.jpg

Reminds me of a toilet in London years ago that was built with one way mirrors; you could sit amongst people and take a dump, but they couldn't see you.

Sketch has some bizarre huge insect egg looking pods as toilets.

They actually replied:

Dear Sir,

We do apologize for the inconvenient situation. For facilities service in MRT, toilets are provided in some MRT stations that have a retail level or Metro Mall available such as
Kamphaeng Phet station, Chatuchak Park station, Phahon Yothin station, Phra Ram 9 station and Sukhumvit station. The toilet service hours are up to the service time of each Metro mall branch (retail level) normally is 09.00 – 21.00 PM only.

For emergency case, you can contact the MRT staff and ask for using the staff’s toilet at the back of house which will take a few minutes to wait for a staff to take you there because it is not in the public area.

Regards,
Customer Relations Center
Bangkok Metro Public Company Limited

maybe the mrt stations have some of the invisible toilets like the ones on the roadside i often see the taxi drivers using

Speaking of travelling ... it does prompt the question ... does the Tardus have a toilet on board?

I'm sure the Dr has to 'go' sometimes?

Ditto his travelling companions.

OH ... my favourite companion was Rose Tyler.

Favourite Doctor, a recent one ... David Tennant ... oh no ... he's Scottish ... facepalm.gif

For an 'older' Doctor ... "Jon" Pertwee

its interesting to bring dr who into a conversation about using the toilet...

if you use the toilet then travel back in time 10 mins will you need to go again?

i'm sure one of the great thai visa philosophers will know...

• Like 1

They actually replied:

Dear Sir,

We do apologize for the inconvenient situation. For facilities service in MRT, toilets are provided in some MRT stations that have a retail level or Metro Mall available such as

Kamphaeng Phet station, Chatuchak Park station, Phahon Yothin station, Phra Ram 9 station and Sukhumvit station. The toilet service hours are up to the service time of each Metro mall branch (retail level) normally is 09.00 – 21.00 PM only.

For emergency case, you can contact the MRT staff and ask for using the staff’s toilet at the back of house which will take a few minutes to wait for a staff to take you there because it is not in the public area.

Regards,

Customer Relations Center

Bangkok Metro Public Company Limited

uh oh... now the terrorists know where to find the toilets...

• Like 2

A couple of years back I was on the boat going from Phra-a-thit across to the other side of the river when suddenly I had a severe pain in my gut and thought if I didn't reach a toilet soon I was going to be in big trouble.

I thought there's no chance of being a public toilet at this pier station as there isn't even one in the Skytrain or MRT but to my surprise there was. A drop toilet but it had toilet paper and a working hose so was able to relieve myself and thankfully had immodium in my wallet to stem the flow for the rest of the day.

Was the closest I've been in my life to sh*tting myself.

Actually there're toilets in all mrt stations. People who work there must go to toilets sometimes. If you really have no choice and need to take a s##t then go to ask them. It works for me as i always need to go toilet when i reach mrt.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

.........There are no public toilets on the London Underground system...........

You are wrong.

Please find attached a link to a London tube map with all the public toilets clearly marked.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/toilets-map.pdf

Edit: and if I had paid more attention I would have noticed that someone had already pointed out this pressing fact....

If you had paid more attention you may have noticed that someone else (me) has also pointed out that out of the 270 stations on the London Underground only 11 have toilets!

All the others on that list are in National Rail stations or bus stations.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

Someone may have already made this point, but I can't be bothered reading through all the silly replies to find out.

The extensive Skytrain system in the Metro Vancouver area also has no toilets at any stations, (that's 'restrooms' for our southern neighbours).

Fortunately, as a normal, over 65 yo man with a tightening prostate (don't have one yet? - just wait!), I seldom need to use the public transit system.

I did ask once why they didn't build them in when constructing the system and was told it was to cut down on drug selling and muggings that would happen inside them. With plenty of muggings happening just outside the stations at night I can see their point.sad.png

During my last stay in Thailand, I used the MRT frequently and toilets in the MRT infrequently (fortunately).

As the letter poster shows, there are toilets in the MRT and the toilets are open to the public.

The toilets were easy to find, you just have to ask where they are. I asked in Thai language where they were.

Edited by radiochaser

The sewage lines are above the MRT and sh!t only run down. 

thanks for that informative piece of info. would have never occurred to me, not that i have a deep interest in shit and dont use the mrt .

perhaps you can tell us why there are so few lifts/escalators at the sky train stations thats what annoys me more.  take mbk for example, you have to go into mbk just to use the escalator to get to the sky train. ekamai too, go into a building just to use the escalator. yeah got a sore knee recently so big staircases are a trial. i cant be the only one. 

You are the only one....

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app