Christmas in Thailand....My daughter

beachproperty

Congratulations on the results of the poll. the results clearly indicate that most posters agreed with you, and only a small minority for some reason or another felt a great need to keep the poll open for the results they hoped for.

Many people would complain if they got hung with a new rope.

Again I am glad every thing turned out great with you and you daughter, and your family.

Keep it up.

Cheers:smile.png

Edited by kikoman
  • Like 2

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Life isn't always feel good moments.

Exactly, sometimes one just have to man up and admit to have done a shitty thing.

If I'm allowed to speculate, I want to believe that even the girl subject to this discussion would be able to identify HER mistake and admit that staying out until 2AM against her parents order was a shitty thing to do. I get the impression OP has long ago realised his wrongdoings but struggle with the idea of admitting that he did anything wrong. Just an opinion, I could be wrong.

You do realise that your rather poor attempts at trying to twist my words to form an agreement with your point of view really does weaken your argument.

• Like 2

The OP used an example of some tough love guiding his step daughter through a potentially dangerous teenage period. It worked out well and good.

I guess only the daughter herself can judge her father's actions with the hindsight of a few years between. Be interesting what she had to say eh?

As I have have stated before (several times, in fact): I dont think anyone is disputing the fact that it turned out well. I'm even confident every poster is happy it did.

But it was still a shitty thing to do.

Like I said, it would be interesting what judgement the daughter gave the action.

I can only tell what her actions are today and what she is like.....She today is the most loving, caring thoughtful daughter any father could ask for .....she asks me constantly "are you OK?", "Can I get you something?" or "is there anything I can do for you, Papa?"....

She is free to say and do what she likes now (she is 21) but she wants to be with her Mom and Me....which is fine with us...she will always be welcome with loving arms.

That is not the only thing you could tell us OP.

You can simply ask your daughter her thoughts on the event, given there is now 6 years gap between the event.

You can simply ask your daughter her thoughts on the event, given there is now 6 years gap between the event.

Yes ...I could do that ....but I'm not ....as I do not wish to go off the topic any more ....

The topic is, or should I say, evolved into a discussion of whether I did the right thing in Locking my daughter out of the house at 2am in the morning for 5 minutes on one occasion and 15 minutes on another occasion to discipline her......or at least show her I was serious about the rules of the house....

respond to that if you like or participate in the voting ...."like" #1 if you agree......"like" #6 if you disagree

• Like 1

Yes ...I could do that ....but I'm not ....as I do not wish to go off the topic any more ....

The topic is, or should I say, evolved into a discussion of whether I did the right thing in Locking my daughter out of the house at 2am in the morning for 5 minutes on one occasion and 15 minutes on another occasion to discipline her......or at least show her I was serious about the rules of the house....

respond to that if you like or participate in the voting ...."like" #1 if you agree......"like" #6 if you disagree

How could that possible be off topic? She is the subject of the topic itself.

The topic evolves anywhere the topic wants to, thus it has evolved into the simple task of you being able to ask your daughter how she felt about the events of 6 years previous.

Quite curious you feel there is no need to ask her the question.

Exactly, sometimes one just have to man up and admit to have done a shitty thing.

If I'm allowed to speculate, I want to believe that even the girl subject to this discussion would be able to identify HER mistake and admit that staying out until 2AM against her parents order was a shitty thing to do. I get the impression OP has long ago realised his wrongdoings but struggle with the idea of admitting that he did anything wrong. Just an opinion, I could be wrong.

You do realise that your rather poor attempts at trying to twist my words to form an agreement with your point of view really does weaken your argument.

You're allowed to that opinion. It doesn't make my statement less correct and in every aspect accurate.

You're allowed to that opinion. It doesn't make my statement less correct and in every aspect accurate.

laugh.png Now you are just getting plain ridiculous

Overall your statements are mere speculation, not fact. You even say Just an opinion, I could be wrong..

I admire your confidence that your speculative assertion, which you admit is an opinion that you could be wrong, has 1 post later become 'in every aspect accurate' clap2.gif

• Like 1

I admire your confidence that your speculative assertion, which you admit is an opinion that you could be wrong, has 1 post later become 'in every aspect accurate' clap2.gif

And in what way is the post regarding my statement NOT accurate...? And where is my statement NOT accurate?

Pleas e feel free to point where this is not accurate:

As I said, I could be wrong, please feel free to point out where I am and I will freely admit that I was.

If I'm not incorrect there was another poster who made a similar attempt a couple of days ago when he wanted to dispute that my opinion as described in my post wasn't in fact my opinion. HE knew what my opinion was. According to him I was of a different opinion even if I clearly declared that wasn't the case at all.

I have now decided to give this phenomenon a name: I call it "thavisaforumposter_to_quick_to_post_before_I_think-syndrome".

Edited by Forethat

And in what way is the post regarding my statement NOT accurate...? And where is my statement NOT accurate?

As I said, I could be wrong, please feel free to point out where I am and I will freely admit that I was.

If I'm not incorrect there was another poster who made a similar attempt a couple of days ago when he wanted to dispute that my opinion as described in my post wasn't in fact my opinion. HE knew what my opinion was. According to him I was of a different opinion even if I clearly declared that wasn't the case at all.

I have now decided to give this phenomenon a name: I call it "thavisaforumposter_to_quick_to_post_before_I_think-syndrome".

You are confusing two separate issues. Much like your quoting style, you seek to mesh one issue that opposes your view, into one that will support your view.

The first issue is your opinion. This is not fact, just your opinion

The second issue is factual accuracy. This is actual facts, not to be confused with opinion

In this topic Opinion and Facts are not the same thing

You are confusing two separate issues. Much like your quoting style, you seek to mesh one issue that opposes your view, into one that will support your view.

The first issue is your opinion. This is not fact, just your opinion

The second issue is factual accuracy. This is actual facts, not to be confused with opinion

In this topic Opinion and Facts are not the same thing

I think you should read my posts and you'll find that I have a decent clue about facts and opinions.

In the post you refer to I have clearly stated that it is a speculation, and that I may be wrong. I you want to challenge the accuracy of my statement (which one would only do if one had lost ones mind) I suggest you do so instead of making a totally incorrect statement regarding my opinion. And if you made the incorrect assumption that by "my statement is accurate" I meant that "my speculative argument in my post represent fact and not my opinion" you should probably work on your reading comprehension. And even if you don't I can tell you straight away that I didn't. But it wouldn't surprise me if you now claim that I actually meant something else than what I wrote.

If I had NOT stated that I speculated or could be wrong, the matter would have been completely different, but that's exactly why I dont have any problem making statements - because I announce upfront that I might be wrong or that I'm speculating

thavisaforumposter_to_quick_to_post_before_I_think-syndrome?

Edited by Forethat

I think you should read my posts and you'll find that I have a decent clue about facts and opinions.

In the post you refer to I have clearly stated that it is a speculation, and that I may be wrong. I you want to challenge the accuracy of my statement (which one would only do if one had lost ones mind) I suggest you do so instead of making a totally incorrect statement regarding my opinion. And if you made the incorrect assumption that by "my statement is accurate" I meant that "my speculative argument in my post represent fact and not my opinion" you should probably work on your reading comprehension. And even if you don't I can tell you straight away that I didn't. But it wouldn'r surprise me if you now claim that I actually meant something else than what I wrote.

thavisaforumposter_to_quick_to_post_before_I_think-syndrome?

You really do not like being wrong do you?

Let me explain it to you for the last time. You said:

It doesn't make my statement less correct and in every aspect accurate.

Your statement is not accurate in every aspect. It is not correct in factual aspect.

Therefore it does make your statement less correct.

I do however agree your opinion is 100% yours.

• Like 1

You really do not like being wrong do you?

I try to avoid that. Not because I dont have the ability to admit being wrong, I am probably one of the few posters on TV who have no problems admitting being wrong. The best way to avoid making incorrect statements is to keep ones mouth shut in topics where one doesn't possess any knowledge, and use a softer approach from scratch by declaring that one COULD be wrong.

It doesn't make my statement less correct and in every aspect accurate

Your statement is not accurate in every aspect. It is not correct in factual aspect.

No, neither am I correct declaring next weeks lotto numbers.

I have never claimed to be factually correct. I declared my post a speculation. You should read it:

Edited by Forethat