bank letter for retirement visa.

padlin

I have an appointment for Nov 4 to renew retirement visa - that is Monday. If I go to the bank for a letter on Friday Nov 1 will that be OK?

And does Bangkok Bank Thapae branch issue the letter on the day one requests it? Does one have to wait?

If I need a re-entry visa what do I do.

Many thanks in anticipation ,,,

Padlin

"I have an appointment for Nov 4 to renew retirement visa - that is Monday. If I go to the bank for a letter on Friday Nov 1 will that be OK?"

​It will have to be OK, especially if you have a morning appointment.

Go to one of those updating machines on Sunday and get your passbook updated.

Just make sure the pass book and the amount of money on the letter are the same.

I believe it was just last week a poster said he had the letter for 950,000 baht then withdrew 10,000 baht before he got the bank book updated thereby only showing 940,000 baht in his bank book and 950,000 on his letter. They made him get a new letter even though he had enough money to cover the 800,000.

Could have been an off day for the officer. But not worth taking the chance.

Thanks a lot ... especially about

withdrawing after getting letter ...

I wouldn't have thought of that.

Does Bangkok Bank give out the letter when requested or do I have to go back ... in other words will I havee to order it in advance.

I have done visa extension many times but always with pension letter from home before ... first time with bank letter.

Thanks again.

More thanks!

Very helpful. Every year at this time I go a bit crazy. I get all uptight about this visa business and I forget every time what I need to do.

This is a very helpful site with very helpful people ...

A sincere thanks to all who help me.

Thanks a lot ... especially about

withdrawing after getting letter ...

I wouldn't have thought of that.

Does Bangkok Bank give out the letter when requested or do I have to go back ... in other words will I havee to order it in advance.

I have done visa extension many times but always with pension letter from home before ... first time with bank letter.

Thanks again.

I used BKK Bank branch on Tha Phae Rd. for years. Just go to the Customer Service Desks on the left-hand side as you enter, tell them what you need and it'll be done there and then. Don't forget to have a 100 Baht note handy to cover the Bank's fee.

By the way, I know just how you feel about this.....even after all these years I still feel like a naughty schoolboy going to see the headmaster when it's time to renew the dreaded "permission to stay"!

My experience is that Bangkok Bank do the letter while you wait. If you want you can do the letter a bit earlier in the week. I've used letters up to a week old with no comment from immigration.

I always ring my bloke at the Bangkok Bank the day before I need the letter just to make sure he is not on leave. Its very important to have a good relationship wit the same Bank Officer never know when you might need a favour !

Once I went to the Kad Suan Kaew branch to get a bank letter late in the day and was asked to come back the next day -- apparently the evening "B team" isn't able to do them. I'd suggest going early in the day on Friday if you want to get it the same day.

Also, I'd just withdrawn from the account and they said I'd have to wait 24 hrs anyway for the amount to be posted so that my bankbook agreed with the letter. Sigh. At least I was doing it a couple days before the appointment at Immigration. Next year -- no messing with the bank account within 48 hrs of getting the letter and made sure to request the letter early in the day on a normal business day.

Edited by NancyL

Once I went to the Kad Suan Kaew branch to get a bank letter late in the day and was asked to come back the next day -- apparently the evening "B team" isn't able to do them. I'd suggest going early in the day on Friday if you want to get it the same day.

Also, I'd just withdrawn from the account and they said I'd have to wait 24 hrs anyway for the amount to be posted so that my bankbook agreed with the letter. Sigh. At least I was doing it a couple days before the appointment at Immigration. Next year -- no messing with the bank account within 48 hrs of getting the letter and made sure to request the letter early in the day on a normal business day.

Why not just have another account with a small amount in, that can be used if necessary, to save messing around with the book once the letter has been written?

I asked an officer once how long the letter is valid, and he said one week. I think it is important to have the amount on the letter and the copies of your passbook to have the same numbers. I've used bank letters up to five days old before.

I asked an officer once how long the letter is valid, and he said one week. I think it is important to have the amount on the letter and the copies of your passbook to have the same numbers. I've used bank letters up to five days old before.

Same numbers stop confusing immigration officers. thumbsup.gif

Why not just have another account with a small amount in, that can be used if necessary, to save messing around with the book once the letter has been written?

Because idiot me had noticed that the account had acquired interest well in excess of 800,000 baht and I decided to spend it! (The bank is next to a shoe store) I should have waited to celebrate getting the 1-year retirement extension, but Immigration isn't next to anything exciting except an organic lettuce place.

laugh.png

Because idiot me had noticed that the account had acquired interest well in excess of 800,000 baht and I decided to spend it! (The bank is next to a shoe store) I should have waited to celebrate getting the 1-year retirement extension, but Immigration isn't next to anything exciting except an organic lettuce place.

Love this story, a very funny example of the "law of unintended consequences!"

Anyway, yes, it is necessary the numbers match, or, at least, the bank balance in the book exceed what is shown in the letter! And, referring to the general discussion, recently, apparently, it is more necessary to get the numbers right on the day or day before. There is nothing significantly different from the basic requirement to have the right amount of money in the bank for the correct amount of time. it might be that recently Immigration ran into some scammers so they decided to tighten up a little bit.