Four deaths in Thai train-truck crash

webfact

Four Deaths in Train-Truck Crash
By Khaosod Online

crash.jpg

Another train accident took place in a southern province yet again.

PHATTHALUNG: -- A sprinter train collided into a 4-door pick-up truck in Phatthalung province leaving 4 people dead at the scene.

At the railway crossroad, Mr. Satien Jidboon, 56, the owner of the truck was found dead behind the wheel, whereas his wife and their toddler grandchildren were found in the canal below the railway.

Auto parts were scattered as the train presumable dragged the truck for 200 meters to a bridge overcrossing the canal.

It is believed that the family was returning to their hometown in Trang province, after attending a merit-making festival in Phatthalung.

Reportedly, there was no railway crossing gate at the intersection. The train is expected to resume in the evening, after accident scene clearance and the restoration of the track and train cars are done.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE1qazFPVGczTmc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-10-29

rolleyes.gif A train going at speed takes some distance to stop .... even with a perfectly operating brake system.

It's called momentum and it's a fact of physics.

Bodies at rest tend to stay at rest, and those in motion tend to stay in motion.

Nature does not give a free pass to those who don't know it's rules and try to ignore them.

Never the less, I do feel sorry for them.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

Another sad example of the poor driving skills and knowledge here. You see them driving everyday down the wrong side of the road because they are too lazy to take 5 minutes and drive on the correct side of the road. It is just an extension of this mentality. The Thai Truck said to the Thai Train, I got here first, you wait for me. OPPS! Why no stop? whistling.gif

• Like 2

Luckily the HSR will be grade-separated, no level crossings, but I'm willing to bet you'll still get idiots crossing any at-grade tracks on foot.

The train always wins an argument with a road vehicle, crossings with no gates and no lights are all over Thailand, every one is an accident waiting to happen :(

Please folks! Try to understand Thainess before hurling assumptions at these people.

The OP reads: "It is believed that the family was returning to their hometown in Trang province, after attending a merit-making festival in Phatthalung."

They had just attended a merit-making festival: they assumed they had protection!

• Like 1

Too bad to hear this about the family. Was the motorman tested for alcohol and drugs? Did the motorman survive? Did he flee the scene?

Are you suggesting that the train driver was at fault? Testing the truck driver would make more sense although my guess is that ALL involved in accidents should be tested. My take is that if the truck driver had survived he should be charged with culpable homicide. If sufficient warning signs were not in place, the railway officials should also be in the dock.

It is not often that I go in to bat for Thai people but his kind of accident is not uncommon in the Eastern Counties on England. As a visit to YouTube will show, in the US it seems that beating the train is a national pastime.

It amazes me that you can sit a Thai in a Government office, the Amphur or a hospital, they will sit there for hours showing extreme patience. Then they go out in the street, get on their bikes or other mode of transport and they, like time, wait for no man.

• Like 2

^ Yes it amazes me too. Actually their patience in these offices and waiting rooms wins me over, as I too readily settle in. As you say, their patience falls rapidly away when on the roads; yet here too I gain, for I know the vehicles stopped in front of me are soon on their way.

Notwithstanding, may the family rest in peace.

• Like 1

Too bad to hear this about the family. Was the motorman tested for alcohol and drugs? Did the motorman survive? Did he flee the scene?

If by motorman, you mean the driver of the train, why would you think he was drunk or on drugs?

Take a look at the picture, there is a person sitting in the driver's seat watching the rescue team working on the wreck.

Why would he flee the scene? He was in the right place at the right time, doing his job legally.

The man driving the truck, may he and his family R.I.P., was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

He obviously didn't look or listen. This is an all too common occurrence here and in many countries. People are in too much of a hurry and they die.

In a competition between a truck and a train, the train wins every time.

well that could be anyone sitting there,as we know how thias love to get involved,but it does look like a uniform of somekind....in these thypes of crossing incedents,where no bells or lights or gates are present at the crossing, we have to assume the engineer,complied meaning whistel,bell and headlights on bright...mandatory drug testing will show his blood work...i drove a freight train for 34 years back home the stories are aplenty...sadly no one really thinks about the phsycological damage for the engineer who cant stop on a dime or swerve to aviod the impact....it is qiute devastaing....sometimes staring the person in the eyes just before the collision....many have been afected...so sad...

• Like 1

If by motorman, you mean the driver of the train, why would you think he was drunk or on drugs?

Take a look at the picture, there is a person sitting in the driver's seat watching the rescue team working on the wreck.

Why would he flee the scene? He was in the right place at the right time, doing his job legally.

The man driving the truck, may he and his family R.I.P., was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

He obviously didn't look or listen. This is an all too common occurrence here and in many countries. People are in too much of a hurry and they die.

well that could be anyone sitting there,as we know how thias love to get involved,but it does look like a uniform of somekind....in these thypes of crossing incedents,where no bells or lights or gates are present at the crossing, we have to assume the engineer,complied meaning whistel,bell and headlights on bright...mandatory drug testing will show his blood work...i drove a freight train for 34 years back home the stories are aplenty...sadly no one really thinks about the phsycological damage for the engineer who cant stop on a dime or swerve to aviod the impact....it is qiute devastaing....sometimes staring the person in the eyes just before the collision....many have been afected...so sad...

Mandatory drug testing, engineer complying?

You are not in Kansas any more Dorothy.

Mandatory drug testing, engineer complying?

You are not in Kansas any more Dorothy.

Yes, I hope they do a drug test on the driver and that he is found to be clean.

Of course had he been paying attention and seen the truck on the tracks in front, I think he should have swerved to avoid this tragic incident.

• Like 1

So, with the borrowed 2 trillions baht, will they be proper boom gate and adequate railway

barriers to prevent such tragedies from happening again I wonder?

Makes no difference,people ignore them and drive around.Seen it a number of times in seven years and fortunatly,no accidents.

"his wife and their toddler grandchildren were found in the canal below the railway."

I'm serious, I want to puke!

Just remember when you are out driving , if they dont care for their own family do you think they will care for you!!

• Like 1