29 firms lined up for 24 new Thai TV channel licences

webfact

DIGITAL TV
29 firms lined up for 24 new TV channel licences

Watchiranont Thongtep
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- BROADCASTING liberalisation is set to begin as the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has 29 companies that will join its spectrum auction - the first of its kind - of 24 commercial digital terrestrial TV licences.

Nation Multimedia Group companies were among the firms that lodged applications for the digital TV licences over the past two days. Nation Kids applied for a children's channel; Bangkok Business Broadcasting went for a variety channel in standard definition; and NBC Next Vision targeted a news channel.

At the last minute, Surang Preeprem's Chan 25, a soap opera production house, decided to drop its plan to join the auction in a bid to pave the way for Bangkok Broadcasting and Television (BBTV) to go for a variety channel in high definition (HD) - to avoid any risk of disqualification.

The conflict of interest between BBTV - operator of Channel 7 - and Chan 25 was resolved after Surachai Danaitangtrakul, legal adviser to Chan 25, appeared at the NBTC at 3pm yesterday with an official statement, explaining the reason for the change of plan.

On behalf of Chan 25, Surang said in the statement that BBTV was originally founded by her family in 1967 and Channel 7 was now home for 1,113 employees.

With her family management, Channel 7 had become the leading TV station. But it might create a severe impact both for BBTV and Chan 25, if both companies were disqualified in the application process because Surang and her husband hold about 21 per cent of BBTV shares combined.

Given this, Chan 25 decided to drop its plan to apply to join the bid. Surang, 21st-richest in the country, had prepared a plan to join the bid because her 26-year contract as BBTV managing director ended in 2011, when Krit Ratanarak, "captain" of the Ratanarak family, who owns a majority stake, took control.

In the statement, Chan 25 also revealed BBTV had been seeking talks with it in a bid to prevent a clash of interests between the two parties.

Meanwhile, Natee Sukonrat, chair of the NBTC Broadcasting Committee, offered praise for Surang's decision to pave the way for her "beloved" company and her support for the transition from analog to digital terrestrial TV, as well as helping the historic change in the broadcasting industry.

During the two-day application period, 29 companies submitted 41 applications and documents for 24 licences to operate commercial digital terrestrial TV channels.

Of the 41 applicants, nine applied for seven variety HD channel licences; 16 applicants went for seven variety standard definition (SD) channels; 10 applicants targeted seven news channel licences; and six aimed for three kids' channel licences.

Natee said his panel expected to begin the auction between mid-December and mid-January, as it had sufficient numbers of bidders in all categories.

Applicants must pay a deposit of 10 per cent of the starting price of each licence category. The starting price for a children's channel licence is Bt140 million, while a news channel is Bt220 million, a variety SD channel is Bt380 million, and a variety HD channel is Bt1.51 billion.

The NBTC will draw up shortlists and announce qualified bidders in each category within the next 45 days after the closure of applications.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-30

For the longest time now, we keep hearing about many companies applying, and receiving, all

sort of licenses to operate and start new TV stations, TV services of all kinds and descriptions,

and yet, we still stuck with quasi monopoly, the dreaded and the only serious game in in town,

TrueVision,

by now, the re must be dozens of companies with said licenses, yet, unfortunately, no one

is seriously challenge TureVision and offer us a viable alternative....

watched lakorn last night they have a lot of card playing scenes in this one, so they have to have a message on screen all the time telling people that gambling is illegal. At least the cards were not digitised out. Here's a novel idea why not have one channel, just one dedicated to education, documentaries, serious debate and world news?

Edited by sms747

Spent most of my life in Broadcasting (Radio and TV) and I hope my teenage daughter will go into it in time to come.

By then, I just hope we have some better programs than we do at the moment, in particular NEWS! Sadly the operators of Thai TV have no concept of how to structure a decent News Presentation. I'm NOT trying to say that "I know best", I just wish they would look at and learn from Channel News Asia in SINGAPORE.

CNAs main bulletin at 6pm Thai Time Week Nights is one of the best I have seen with Glenda Chong and Timothy Goh presenting a World Class show. Sure, they have a few technical glitches and some of the "talent" being interviewed is less than exciting, but if you get a chance, have a look and see for yourself.

Should mention, I have no connection with CNA, aside from being an avid viewer.

• Like 1

The future is in IPTV without a doubt.

I have it, and have all the main UK channels all in HD

BBC1, 2, 3 and 4

ITV1, 2 and 4

Ch4, More 4, E4 and Film 4

Kids Channels

BBC News, Sky News

AlJazera

Australia network

With new channels being added continuously.

and all you need is a 3MB internet connection. It also has live pause, forward/rewind, 7 day catchup, recording etc etc.... Much cheaper than TrueVisions. I paid 6000 THB for a whole years subscription and watch it in full HD quality on my 60 inch LCD, and it has never once froze up or anything.

Add a second box and you can get an extra 250 channels including every single live premiership game, about 15 top movie channels, 3 cricket channels and much more other sport channels, on top of that all the discovery channels and nat geo etc...

You get so much more than the true platinum package for half the price, with much more features.

IPTV is in its infancy and will only get better and better, and will seriously hit satellite broadcasting in the pocket as more and more people get fast internet connections.

With the 2 connected boxes I have much more than True will ever give regarding Farang channels, and for less than half the price with the full PVR service free. As it gets more popular, the price will go down.

Once Netflix expands over here or a similar company such as LOVEFILM opens up, you can get a choice of 50,000 movies on demand for about 250 THB a month.

Satellite is living on borrowed time. I believe that these channels really need to be looking at using that money they are about to blow in licenses, for getting into IPTV as far as I am aware, they don't even need a license for internet streamed channels and instead they get paid a cut from the IPTV companies.

• Like 1

How about a channel from the goverment on car and m/c driving safety issues. I will always remember a UK car safety ad about using your mirrors to see what is behind you. It was an elephant in the rearview mirror.

The Thai government could have it's own horror show showing brains and bits of bodies splattered over the road. Thai people seem to love, blood, guts and horror. Think of the revenue the government could rake in from whisky and beer advertisers on a channel like this clap2.gif

• 1 month later...

The future is in IPTV without a doubt.

I have it, and have all the main UK channels all in HD

BBC1, 2, 3 and 4

ITV1, 2 and 4

Ch4, More 4, E4 and Film 4

Kids Channels

BBC News, Sky News

AlJazera

Australia network

With new channels being added continuously.

and all you need is a 3MB internet connection. It also has live pause, forward/rewind, 7 day catchup, recording etc etc.... Much cheaper than TrueVisions. I paid 6000 THB for a whole years subscription and watch it in full HD quality on my 60 inch LCD, and it has never once froze up or anything.

Add a second box and you can get an extra 250 channels including every single live premiership game, about 15 top movie channels, 3 cricket channels and much more other sport channels, on top of that all the discovery channels and nat geo etc...

You get so much more than the true platinum package for half the price, with much more features.

IPTV is in its infancy and will only get better and better, and will seriously hit satellite broadcasting in the pocket as more and more people get fast internet connections.

With the 2 connected boxes I have much more than True will ever give regarding Farang channels, and for less than half the price with the full PVR service free. As it gets more popular, the price will go down.

Once Netflix expands over here or a similar company such as LOVEFILM opens up, you can get a choice of 50,000 movies on demand for about 250 THB a month.

Satellite is living on borrowed time. I believe that these channels really need to be looking at using that money they are about to blow in licenses, for getting into IPTV as far as I am aware, they don't even need a license for internet streamed channels and instead they get paid a cut from the IPTV companies.

Hi Klubex99, which service you're subscribed to? It definitely sounds very interesting with the number of channels you have + those that can be obtained for additional fees.