Thailand cannot withdraw its membership from the World Court

webfact

Ah!, so they realize that things are not going to go their way,

they had their chance many years ago to fight the ruling and

I don't think they bothered to turn up.

Some of them act like children if they cannot get what they want.

regards Worgeordie

Many years ago at the original ruling, Thailand had politicial troubles inside and could not do anything.

Than for decades Cambodia and Thailand were happy to govern the area together and avoid any conflict by calling it "overlapping" area.

Than Thaksin made his shady deal with Hun Sen for his island resort in Cambodia in exchange for the temple land, that causes the Nationalists on both sides to wake up.

I should have known Thaksin would have been behind it! Don't you obsessives ever give up. During those decades that conflict was avoided did they include the two and a bit years when Abhisit was PM? No, now what do you think caused conflict with the RTA lobbing cluster shells over the border. Couldn't possibly be abhisit and co trying to cosy up to the nationalist nutters aka the old PAD, oh no, surely not.

Since you never give up defending Thaksin and the PTP no matter what they do biggrin.png

Which includes defending "eternal friend" hun sen's going on the offensive which included attacking thai villages along the border and his army breaking international agreements when he staged troops and weapons inside the temple.

• Like 1

regards Worgeordie

Many years ago at the original ruling, Thailand had politicial troubles inside and could not do anything.

Than for decades Cambodia and Thailand were happy to govern the area together and avoid any conflict by calling it "overlapping" area.

Than Thaksin made his shady deal with Hun Sen for his island resort in Cambodia in exchange for the temple land, that causes the Nationalists on both sides to wake up.

I should have known Thaksin would have been behind it! Don't you obsessives ever give up. During those decades that conflict was avoided did they include the two and a bit years when Abhisit was PM? No, now what do you think caused conflict with the RTA lobbing cluster shells over the border. Couldn't possibly be abhisit and co trying to cosy up to the nationalist nutters aka the old PAD, oh no, surely not.

If your demagogue was here and not in Dubai, just imagine how he and his crony Hun could work it all out under the table, and then lie to the public and make it all go away.

• Like 1

This says a lot about what is wrong with Thais, they can never stand losing or being proved wrong, when it happens the children lose face and have to kick back in any way they can. Thais are emotionally very immature people, and so is the country.

I think the rest of the worlds Governments know that, BUT, nobody talks with honesty to point in the right direction. Perhaps not cricket eh. sad.png

regards Worgeordie

maybe the reds will go and camp outside the world court and threaten their families

just goes to show the respect they hold for any judicial system - it's just a pity they don't respect the courts inside Thailand the same way if it doesn't go their way

regards Worgeordie

If your demagogue was here and not in Dubai, just imagine how he and his crony Hun could work it all out under the table, and then lie to the public and make it all go away.

Which -of course- would be much, much worse than just going into Cambodia and insisting, the borders are illegal or ...let's say...outright war, now wouldn't it!

Oh why do I even bother...

Imagine if this dispute was between USA and a neighboring country. The USA would probably have send in 250,000 troops by now. That's if they have any spare after fighting so many wars all over the world. Why can't the USA use the World Court to settle disputes?

Which includes defending "eternal friend" hun sen's going on the offensive which included attacking thai villages along the border and his army breaking international agreements when he staged troops and weapons inside the temple.

How did the dispute over Preah Vihear end up in the International Court in the first place? From the original judgement of the International Court of Justice

15 June 1962

General List No. 45

INTERNATIONAL COURT OF JUSTICE

TEMPLE OF PREAH VIHEAR

CAMBODIA

v.

THAILAND

JUDGEMENT

On behalf of the Government of Cambodia,

in the Application and in the Memorial:

"May it please the Court to adjudge and declare, whether the Kingdom of Thailand appears or not:

(1) that the Kingdom of Thailand is under an obligation to withdraw the detachments of armed forces it has stationed since 1954 in the ruins of the Temple of Preah Vihear;

(2) that the territorial sovereignty over the Temple of Preah Vihear belongs to the Kingdom of Cambodia";

http://www.worldcourts.com/icj/eng/decisions/1962.06.15_preah_vihear.htm

Bit of a precedent that. As soon as the French Forces left in 1954 the Thai troops moved in.

Who shot first in the abhisit years disputes. The Thais say it was the Cambodians whilst acknowledging that they had troops walking around in Cambodia and complaining they were shot at. So who knows who started it?

This government has become so wrapped up in it's ideological attitude that it is able to manipulate anything and everything for its own benefit and agenda, they alas failed to understand that this only works within Thailand's borders. Outside of which, they have no power to manipulate.... Welcome to the real world.

What are you talking about? Where is the manipulation here and how does it affect their "agenda". All very fine words, but just bluster if you do not provide substance to your "argument". Please explain.

I never mentioned manipulation HERE. I was motioning to ALL the manipulation the government lives by on an almost daily basis. But because they have NO power to manipulate on the world stage, then they no longer have the stomach to continue to play the game. They ONLY play by their own rules and sod everyone else.... Well it doesn't work like that.

If you think this government is non-manipulative... I suggest you read the news threads more regularly.

This government has become so wrapped up in it's ideological attitude that it is able to manipulate anything and everything for its own benefit and agenda, they alas failed to understand that this only works within Thailand's borders. Outside of which, they have no power to manipulate.... Welcome to the real world.

What are you talking about? Where is the manipulation here and how does it affect their "agenda". All very fine words, but just bluster if you do not provide substance to your "argument". Please explain.

I never mentioned manipulation HERE. I was motioning to ALL the manipulation the government lives by on an almost daily basis. But because they have NO power to manipulate on the world stage, then they no longer have the stomach to continue to play the game. They ONLY play by their own rules and sod everyone else.... Well it doesn't work like that.

If you think this government is non-manipulative... I suggest you read the news threads more regularly.

I was just wondering why you were mentioning the government at all. It is the Nationalists that come up with the idea of withdrawing from the World Court.

You just chose that to go off on some rant about manipulating which is why I asked the original question "What are you talking about"

Here is part of your rant

"This government has become so wrapped up in it's ideological attitude that it is able to manipulate anything and everything for its own benefit and agenda, they alas failed to understand that this only works within Thailand's borders"

and then you say "I never mentioned manipulation here" Well, what is the above phrase about if it isn't about manipulation here?

I don't think that most Thais realize that, even if the verdict goes their way, they won't own the temple. The temple is in Cambodia, all sides agree on that.

They're just fighting about the parking lot now.coffee1.gif

If Thailand win, they won't even win the parking lot. It will just mean that the ownership of the parking lot will still be in dispute.

I was just wondering why you were mentioning the government at all. It is the Nationalists that come up with the idea of withdrawing from the World Court.

You just chose that to go off on some rant about manipulating which is why I asked the original question "What are you talking about"

Here is part of your rant

"This government has become so wrapped up in it's ideological attitude that it is able to manipulate anything and everything for its own benefit and agenda, they alas failed to understand that this only works within Thailand's borders"

and then you say "I never mentioned manipulation here" Well, what is the above phrase about if it isn't about manipulation here?

Mr. Seehasak pointed out that the nation had contemplated doing so before but soon discarded the idea, as the UN demanded that its members be members and under jurisdiction of the World Court.

The question is will the Thai military get involved? When it comes to them, the government is not in control.

involved witth cambodian army? I hope not. Two decades ago they make this silly mistake at the Lao border... and what a lose of face!

A reminder: It was the PREVIOUS ADMINISTRATION the one that went to war with Cambodia over the access to the temple.

The previous administration pandered to the shirt color on their side and thus started a war over the temple's access and pushed for ownership of it citing wrong data on the French cartographic evidence.

Regarding this Administration, or the previous, they are all characters of Lilliput.

Actually no. It was the decision of the DP administration's refusal to go gung-ho with the nationalist agenda which resulted in the nationalists to call for their supporters not to vote for the DP at the last election.

"This government"? It appears that the government in power is prepared to accept the World Court ruling. It is the Opposition and the rabble rousing nationalists that are prepared to reject the rule of law.

• Like 1

"This government"? It appears that the government in power is prepared to accept the World Court ruling. It is the Opposition and the rabble rousing nationalists that are prepared to reject the rule of law.

In what way are the opposition rejecting the (possible) decision?

I don't think that most Thais realize that, even if the verdict goes their way, they won't own the temple. The temple is in Cambodia, all sides agree on that.

They're just fighting about the parking lot now.coffee1.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Yep, pathetic all this and the deaths for what amounts to roughly 8.5 soccer pitches. Surely it would be so simple to just split it down the middle.... but then that might require common sense. And of course there are many powerful people on both sides of the border desperate to get their hands on the tourist money. The reality is it is never likely to be much of a tourist (foreign) draw in Thailand as the journey is so long from Bangkok. It only takes a couple of hours from Siem Reap these days so most people would travel from there instead of what must be a 6 or 7 hour journey from Bangkok.

This is all so childish.

Personally I think the Thai side just wants to make the most out of the junkets and free travel to international meetings on the subject, while at the same time making sure the Cambodian's don't make bucket loads of money from the site.

Who was the PM and party in power at the time?

Or that is not important?

Furthermore, my comment was not about the last election. That is your attempt to distract from the core issue of my reply.

It was indeed the Democrats in office and power when Thailand went to war against Cambodia in 2010.

Abhisit was the PM, Suthep his deputy.and Democrats in power.

It was a war under their watch.

For the record: I am not a Thaksinista, nor an Abhisitbot. Both parties in Thailand are dysfunctional and both parties have proven to be impotent, or unwilling, to fight corruption, to make the rule of law viable for all and make government efficient and to serve the people of this land.

A reminder: It was the PREVIOUS ADMINISTRATION the one that went to war with Cambodia over the access to the temple.

The previous administration pandered to the shirt color on their side and thus started a war over the temple's access and pushed for ownership of it citing wrong data on the French cartographic evidence.

Regarding this Administration, or the previous, they are all characters of Lilliput.

Actually no. It was the decision of the DP administration's refusal to go gung-ho with the nationalist agenda which resulted in the nationalists to call for their supporters not to vote for the DP at the last election.

Edited by pisico

Who was the PM and party in power at the time?

Or that is not important?

Furthermore, my comment was not about the last election. That is your attempt to distract from the core issue of my reply.

It was indeed the Democrats in office and power when Thailand went to war against Cambodia in 2010.

Abhisit was the PM, Suthep his deputy.and Democrats in power.

It was a war under their watch.

And don't forget one other factor, the "Eternal Friend" had a bit of a situation going on in his patch that he really needed to divert attention from.

Which side started posturing first?

They're just fighting about the parking lot now.coffee1.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Yep, pathetic all this and the deaths for what amounts to roughly 8.5 soccer pitches. Surely it would be so simple to just split it down the middle.... but then that might require common sense. And of course there are many powerful people on both sides of the border desperate to get their hands on the tourist money. The reality is it is never likely to be much of a tourist (foreign) draw in Thailand as the journey is so long from Bangkok. It only takes a couple of hours from Siem Reap these days so most people would travel from there instead of what must be a 6 or 7 hour journey from Bangkok.

This is all so childish.

Personally I think the Thai side just wants to make the most out of the junkets and free travel to international meetings on the subject, while at the same time making sure the Cambodian's don't make bucket loads of money from the site.

It should be made into a joint project where they could both invest in a dire recovery program for the site...it looks horrible now. But it is only a pawn in the political game, a good excuse to get all nationalistic.

What good is a World Court if nations can opt-out at will over a decision they don't like?

What good is a Security Council when any single (permanent) nation can block any decision not in its own national interest?

The UN does not operate on a majority verdict, it just pretends it does.

A giant expensive toothless bureaucratic tiger. Unfortunately it is the best we humans have been able to come up with so far...