Subscribe to Netflix with VPN in Chiang Mai?

Pleas

I've just returned from USA and enjoyed watching Netflix. Would like to do it here. Have any of you succeeded in this? Which VPN do you use, and what do you need to watch, beside your computer and TV? Which device to get the shows to the TV from computer, and where can I get one? Thanks, indeed for sharing your experience here, successful or no...

I have used Private Tunnel, because it's not a month to month subscription. Instead you buy a number of gigabytes and it lasts until you use it up. I subscribed to Netflix for two months, streamed it through Private Tunnel, and never had one movie pause or buffer, but the selection on Netflix was so bad I canceled it after 2 months. I was able to direct the VPN to connect to London in order to watch the last episodes of Breaking Bad which were not available through the states. I don't watch many movies and almost no TV. 20 dollars was enough to get me through 8 months.

• Like 2

It's certainly do-able, pretty easily, for a U.S. account, provided you can provide a U.S. address and matching credit card billing address.

These days, you don't even need to rely on a VPN or proxy to deal with the geo-location issues. There are a variety of DNS based, paid, solutions that will unlock access to both Netflix and a variety of other streaming services -- without slowing down your Internet connection.

There's (paid) Unblock-US.com - http://www.unblock-us.com/

Invisible Browsing (paid) VPN and their included free IB-DNS solution - http://www.ibvpn.com/2013/04/ibdns-update-three-new-ibdns-servers/

For secure proxy services, there's also GetFoxyProxy.org -- https://getfoxyproxy.org/proxyservice/

And various others as well.

The difference between the DNS-based and VPN or proxy-based services is...

--the DNS based services will only work for the streaming sites or services specifically supported by that DNS service, but should have little or no speed loss.

--the VPN and proxy-based services will work for pretty much any/all websites or services, and can have varying degrees of speed loss.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

google "media hint" you can thank me later j/k

I'll say big thanks, now!

No worries i found this solution and to me its way better then anything else i have found.

I read the user review comments on MediaHint as a Firefox extension and, not surprisingly, they are quite mixed.

A lot of folks say it works great. A lot of folks say it stops working at various points in time as their browsers are updated or other changes are made, as well as slowing down their broader Internet access.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/media-hint/reviews/?page=1

google "media hint" you can thank me later j/k

I'll say big thanks, now!
No worries i found this solution and to me its way better then anything else i have found.

I read the user review comments on MediaHint as a Firefox extension and, not surprisingly, they are quite mixed.

A lot of folks say it works great. A lot of folks say it stops working at various points in time as their browsers are updated or other changes are made, as well as slowing down their broader Internet access.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/media-hint/reviews/?page=1

Seems that is the case for all software, operating systems and browsers when things change programs will need to be upgraded for compatibility.

As for slowing things down in my experience that is going to almost always be the case when you are avoiding location detection. Simple solution is to just turn it of when you are finished streaming. Being the cost is $0 the op has nothing to lose and everything to gain...

btw i use it with chrome not ff.

Edited by yankee99

Try http://hola.org unblocker. Free, works very well, easy to install and use in Chrome, unblocks anything from anywhere, does not slow down the transmission. Remembers what you need unblocked (e.g. Netflix) for the next time and automatically returns you to normal status in your own country when you leave the blocked site.

Whats happening now with traditional TV in USA and UK is that people no longer want to wait 7 days for the next episode of something.....increasingly in UK, drama series are being screened say, 5 consecutive nights instead of , say 5 mondays.....people want it faster and much more accessible quickly.

I watched Netflix at my Sons last time back home in UK and it certainly for me provides ready access to tons of stuff. Just hope one day the "licensing problems" that prevent Netflix, BBC IPlayer etc from being available in Asia can be overcome. I would gladly subscribe to Netflix, in the UK it only costs about 250 baht a month!!!!

Netflix will allow USA ip address to access their video only.

Make sure you get a vpn that give you an USA ip address.

try http://www.smallvpn.com $19.95 per month.. not cheap but reliable.

for BBC iplayer , i think you need an UK ip address in order to access it from outside of UK.

p.s Take note that internet speed in thailand isn't that great as compare to the US..

so, do not expect seamless online streaming like back home.

smile.png

Edited by eden8
  • Like 2

I pay my subscription to Netflix using a Thai based credit card (couldn't use UK or Thai based Paypal accounts, but Thai credit card worked fine!). I watch through Firefox using the Hola plugin. This works fine with my fast True cable connection (15mb down 1.5mb up) and almost never buffers mid-programme - and i have watched a lot!

No need to pay for VPN - just Google for "Hola firefox add-on" and addit to firefox.

• Like 1

Try http://hola.org unblocker. Free, works very well, easy to install and use in Chrome

Amen to Hola. Been using it flawlessly (and FREE) for several months. It unblocks sites via DNS masking, which simply makes you appear to be in the West rather than here. Works well with Hulu, Netflix, rdio, and more.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Re Hola, I see they've been expanding the number of sites (and accompany scripts required) that it will work on.

For me, it's still a bit balky... For example, it comes with a set of websites sites that it will work with automatically, including Netflix and Hulu... So if you're just wanting those, I guess it's fine.

Here's the current roster of 18 pre-configured sites for Hola:

post-58284-0-49941600-1383275590_thumb.j

But, beyond that set of pre-configured websites, you have to mess around and add individual scripts on a site by site basis to get other sites to work. And then, they don't always work. For example, there's an add-on script that supposedly enables Amazon Prime to work. But for me and apparently a lot of other users, it doesn't unlock the Amazon Prime Instant Video streaming service.

https://www.facebook.com/HolaUnblockerScripts/posts/259930137482485

I'm not cavalier with my money... But just recently, I purchased a year of U.S. VPN service with IBVPN.com for $37, and it includes Open SSL and PPTP access to 10 or so different server/cities in the U.S. and Canada, including Los Angeles and Houston, the latter providing access to the new Aereo broadcast TV over the Internet and Cloud DVR capability.

For me. for $37 for the year, knowing my service unlocks everything U.S.-based and I don't have to mess around with adding or looking for scripts is worth the investment... not to mention that it also includes access to mobile phone apps that provide the same functionality for my Android smart phones and tablets.

Who needs Netflix,just stream from various sites to your TV,

you can find just about anything you need,its free and it

works OK.

regards Worgeordie

Can you suggest any sites to begin?

-another dummy who expected to watch Netflix on the apple TV I schlepped here.

Check out this VPN its free ,very easy to set up ,has world wide

servers,BUT only works on Chrome and related browsers,I have

it on CoMoDo Dragon, sets up with one click,opps nearly forgot

to tell you the name, go to Chrome store search for Zenmate.

regards Worgeordie

Re Hola, I see they've been expanding the number of sites (and accompany scripts required) that it will work on.

For me, it's still a bit balky... For example, it comes with a set of websites sites that it will work with automatically, including Netflix and Hulu... So if you're just wanting those, I guess it's fine.

Here's the current roster of 18 pre-configured sites for Hola:

attachicon.gifPS1054.jpg

But, beyond that set of pre-configured websites, you have to mess around and add individual scripts on a site by site basis to get other sites to work. And then, they don't always work. For example, there's an add-on script that supposedly enables Amazon Prime to work. But for me and apparently a lot of other users, it doesn't unlock the Amazon Prime Instant Video streaming service.

https://www.facebook.com/HolaUnblockerScripts/posts/259930137482485

I'm not cavalier with my money... But just recently, I purchased a year of U.S. VPN service with IBVPN.com for $37, and it includes Open SSL and PPTP access to 10 or so different server/cities in the U.S. and Canada, including Los Angeles and Houston, the latter providing access to the new Aereo broadcast TV over the Internet and Cloud DVR capability.

For me. for $37 for the year, knowing my service unlocks everything U.S.-based and I don't have to mess around with adding or looking for scripts is worth the investment... not to mention that it also includes access to mobile phone apps that provide the same functionality for my Android smart phones and tablets.

• My experience has not been anything like this. Once I added HOLA as a Chrome extension, a little "red devil" icon appeared in the Chrome address bar at top of the browser screen. When I try to enter ANY blocked site I just click on the icon. A choices box then appears. I click on the "US flag" and the Hola Icon is changed to a US flag icon and, voila, I am unblocked, forever, with 2 clicks for this site. When I leave the site, the little red devil icon comes back which means I am back in my normal country mode.

I especially like the following about Hola:

• Free
  • No trouble with anything else
  • Does not slow down data transmission
  • Remembers all my choices
  • Automatically reverts me back to my country
  • I can remove the unblock if necessary
  • Works almost 100% of the time
  • No complicated installations or scripting required
  • Like 1

Who needs Netflix,just stream from various sites to your TV,

you can find just about anything you need,its free and it

works OK.

regards Worgeordie

Can you suggest any sites to begin?

-another dummy who expected to watch Netflix on the apple TV I schlepped here.

Heres a few cokeandpopcorn.ch, iwatchonline.to, stream-tv.me , curcirca.eu , movies25.com ,watchfreemoviesonline.com , solarmovie.so

thats should keep you going

regards Worgeordie

• My experience has not been anything like this. Once I added HOLA as a Chrome extension, a little "red devil" icon appeared in the Chrome address bar at top of the browser screen. When I try to enter ANY blocked site I just click on the icon. A choices box then appears. I click on the "US flag" and the Hola Icon is changed to a US flag icon and, voila, I am unblocked, forever, with 2 clicks for this site. When I leave the site, the little red devil icon comes back which means I am back in my normal country mode.

Yes, that's their procedure. But I tried that with Amazon Prime Instant Video, and it didn't work. And as I posted above, a lot of other people seem to be having the same problem, based on the posts to the Hola Facebook page on the Amazon.com script.

Tried Amazon Prime Instant Video again tonight with Hola enabled in Chrome, and the little American flag logo showing as the Hola icon, and still got the message of being unable to play due to geographic location.

Meanwhile, I also tried one of the major U.S. paid sports streaming sites where I have an account. I could log in using Chrome and Hola, but then I tried to stream a game, the game never would play... Even though it would play fine in Chrome or FF using any of my PPTP or VPN resources.

As I said above, Hola may unlock many sites... But it doesn't unlock them all. So, no harm in trying it since it's a free extension, and if it works for the sites you use, that's great. But usually, when something like this is free, there's a reason for that.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Yes, that's their procedure. But I tried that with Amazon Prime Instant Video, and it didn't work. And as I posted above, a lot of other people seem to be having the same problem, based on the posts to the Hola Facebook page on the Amazon.com script.

I just enrolled in Amazon Prime for a trial period. The HOLA unblock works just fine for me. Be aware, I am using the Google Chrome browser and Hola is an extension to Chrome. As I said in a prior post, it does not always work. Apparently Hola has a service desk you can contact by email if an unblock doesn't work.

All in all, an amazing piece of software for free.

Edited by moradave

Check out myiplayer.eu, it has just about every US UK German,Italian,tv channels

you can think of,you have to put up with a few adverts to start with,but after that it

works fine,you have to disable any ad blockers you have until you get page loaded

then can switch back on, works fine for me and its free.

regards worgeordie

• 3 weeks later...

try using hma , its works very well so far for me. The greatest plus point is the setup, which is close to nothing, 2minutes, you are done. They also have great support when you need and is cheap. They have money back gurantee, so you can try and if you like, keep it, otherwise lose it...thats what i did anyway. cheers!

Edited by jameslaw