Thai govt watchful for October 31 political D-Day

webfact

Govt watchful for tomorrow’s political D-Day
By English News

13831127591535.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 30 – Deputy Prime Minister Pracha Promnok today called on anti-government protesters who planned a major rally tomorrow to abide by the law.

He said the government would not extend the specially-surveillance zones under the enforcement of the Internal Security Act (ISC). The three districts in Bangkok which have come under the ISC are within and adjacent to significant state buildings including Government House and Parliament House.

He said a meeting with high-ranking security officials, chaired by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, this morning was to assess the latest political situation and planned rallies by several social civic groups and the opposition Democrat Party.

Democrats declared a major rally tomorrow evening after four party executives resigned from their administrative positions.

Pol Gen Pracha said the Peace-Keeping Administrative Centre would evaluate the situation to see if the ISC-imposed areas would have to be expanded.

Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan instructed provincial governors nationwide to be on alert and order chiefs of all districts to monitor political movements in their areas.

“We are all aware of ongoing demonstrations in the southern and central regions while the House of Representatives will discuss the Amnesty Bill in the second and third readings, starting October 31,” said Mr Charupong in his order.

He said governors were authorised to impose the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act in case of untoward incidents or violence in their respective provinces.

“Be proactive and fast in solving any problem. Do not go by the bureaucratic system in handling any incident after it occurs. I will evaluate your performance based on your prevention strategy,” sternly warned the interior minister.

He also ordered governors to concentrate on listening to people’s opinions on the government’s Bt3.5 billion water management project and the infrastructure development plan, as well as speedily paying compensations to flood-hit people within two months. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-30

POLITICS
Govt watchful for tomorrow's political D-Day

BANGKOK: -- The government on Wednesday called on the antigovernment protest to be led by opposition Democrat Party tomorrow to abide by the law, Deputy Prime Minister Pracha Promnok said.

The government would not extend the enforcement of the Internal Security Act (ISC), he said. The three districts in Bangkok which have come under the ISC are within and adjacent to significant state buildings including Government House and Parliament House.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra meanwhile held an urgent meeting of highranking security officials, to assess the latest political situation and planned rallies by several social civic groups and the opposition Democrat Party.

Democrats declared a major rally tomorrow evening after four deputy leaders; Korn Chatikavanij, Thaworn Senneam, Issara Somchai and Siriwan Prassachaksattru, resigned from their administrative positions.

They will keep their House seats, however. Their joint reason to step down is to preempt any attempt to dissolve the main opposition party by citing their protesting activities.

The Democrats, led by MP Suthep Thuagsuban, will on Thursday organise the rally at Samsen train station, coinciding with House debate on the issue.

Pol Gen Pracha said the PeaceKeeping Administrative Centre would evaluate the situation to see if the ISCimposed areas would have to be expanded.

Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan instructed provincial governors nationwide to be on alert and order chiefs of all districts to monitor political movements in their areas.

"We are all aware of ongoing demonstrations in the southern and central regions while the House of Representatives will discuss the Amnesty Bill in the second and third readings, starting October 31," said Mr Charupong in his order.

He said governors were authorised to impose the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act in case of untoward incidents or violence in their respective provinces.

"Be proactive and fast in solving any problem. Do not go by the bureaucratic system in handling any incident after it occurs. I will evaluate your performance based on your prevention strategy," sternly warned the interior minister.

He also ordered governors to concentrate on listening to people's opinions on the government's Bt3.5 billion water management project and the infrastructure development plan, as well as speedily paying compensations to floodhit people within two months.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-30

BANGKOK, Oct 30 – Deputy Prime Minister Pracha Promnok today called on anti-government protesters who planned a major rally tomorrow to abide by the law.

This would be hilarious, if it wasn't tragic. These thugs, criminals and escape artists asking someone else to respect the law.

• Like 2

"Be proactive and fast in solving any problem. Do not go by the bureaucratic system in handling any incident after it occurs. I will evaluate your performance based on your prevention strategy," sternly warned the interior minister.

Sounds like a threat to me.

Exactly. Does it mean governors who don't stop anti government protests in their province or even worse don't stop protestors heading for Bangkok will be joining the unemployment queue ?

I suppose pro-government protests are ok though, not that there are any double standards.

Exactly. Does it mean governors who don't stop anti government protests in their province or even worse don't stop protestors heading for Bangkok will be joining the unemployment queue ?

I suppose pro-government protests are ok though, not that there are any double standards.

Sounds like he's saying "circumvent the law and take matters into your own hands... what ever you do, I've got your back."

Last time there was a potential protest in the North (after the government tried to lower the rice buying price by 20%) the government made a 180 degree u turn within 24 hours and gave the people what they wanted. That's how the government deals with protestors they need.

• Like 2

The arrogance of these public servants is astounding. Do as I say not as I did or am doing, my stick is bigger than yours.

One is inclined to wonder whether we may see a rerun of the horrendous Red Drum massacre in Phattalung October 14th 1973- 1975.

Power at any price for the puppet master and his family and their brown nosing acolytes

Sounds like he's saying "circumvent the law and take matters into your own hands... what ever you do, I've got your back."

In fact it sounds a lot like the orders by Thaksin on the War on Drugs.

BANGKOK, Oct 30 Deputy Prime Minister Pracha Promnok today called on anti-government protesters who planned a major rally tomorrow to abide by the law.

This would be hilarious, if it wasn't tragic. These thugs, criminals and escape artists asking someone else to respect the law.

Indeed it is as you pointed out, the sad irony is...the entire amnesty bill is being passed to bypass the rule of law so that those who previously haven't abided by the law don't have to.

The horrible situation we are now faced with is that the protesters have absolutely no reason to follow or abide by the law because they simply don't have to, the law has no meaning anymore. This government has created a horrible mess where the law can be back dated, bypassed and rewritten at a whim. Which makes following the law pointless.

I think that there will be violence (I hope I am wrong) but i also believe those who may commit violence have nothing to fear as they will no doubt be covered and included in more future amnesties and they know it, which makes the likely hood of violence even greater.

This government has made a truly horrible mess of things. And where is the PM ...silent, absent, like a willow the wisp. I can think of no other country where the PM is so silent as the country flounders rudderless on a sea of chaos. Shameful.

The Thai media should literally be nailing her to a post for her lack of leadership.

Both sides have everything to lose.

Normally that means a lot of problems.