Dinner cruise on the Ping river

johnoko

Hi,

My parents are in town for a visit, and they would like to take a diner cruise on the Ping river. I know that riverside offers a diner cruise, but are there any other companies in town offering this kind of service? And if so which company offers the best deal in town.

Thanks in advance for any replies

I've done the River Side cruise many, many times and never been disappointed. You arrive 7 - 7:30 pm, order from the menu and they shove off by 8 pm. There is a modest additional charge over the menu prices. It's a very good value. The cruise is about 90 minutes. No narration, though, so it helps to bring a local to explain what you're seeing.

It's especially good for Loi Krathong. I expect they're booked for Loy Krathong evening (Nov 17), but the couple days before and after are just about as good. Still many lanterns and there are lighted floats on the river, kind of like floating parade floats. It's possible for a small group to get in just by showing up at 7 pm and waiting on "stand-by", even on Loy Krathong night for people who made reservations but fail to come. Just smile, be patient and don't act all upset if everyone actually does show up.

I've done the River Side cruise many, many times and never been disappointed. You arrive 7 - 7:30 pm, order from the menu and they shove off by 8 pm. There is a modest additional charge over the menu prices. It's a very good value. The cruise is about 90 minutes. No narration, though, so it helps to bring a local to explain what you're seeing.

It's especially good for Loi Krathong. I expect they're booked for Loy Krathong evening (Nov 17), but the couple days before and after are just about as good. Still many lanterns and there are lighted floats on the river, kind of like floating parade floats. It's possible for a small group to get in just by showing up at 7 pm and waiting on "stand-by", even on Loy Krathong night for people who made reservations but fail to come. Just smile, be patient and don't act all upset if everyone actually does show up.

5 years ago my wife invited me - by surprise - for a romantic dinner on the boat on Loi Krathong, and it was a horror for all participants, Thais too. During the entire cruise the boat was the target for any kind and size of explosives fired from both watersides as well as let drop from the bridges. Even though we're not squeamish natures at all we were more than happy when the cruise was over and we didn't suffer more serious injuries than our over-strained ear-drums.

Sorry for objecting, Nancy, but I strongly discourage from doing it during Loi Krathong.

• Like 2

5 years ago my wife invited me - by surprise - for a romantic dinner on the boat on Loi Krathong, and it was a horror for all participants, Thais too. During the entire cruise the boat was the target for any kind and size of explosives fired from both watersides as well as let drop from the bridges. Even though we're not squeamish natures at all we were more than happy when the cruise was over and we didn't suffer more serious injuries than our over-strained ear-drums.

Sorry for objecting, Nancy, but I strongly discourage from doing it during Loi Krathong.

I would agree, its a few years since I have done that but it was like being in the middle of WWIII, take a tin hat and a flak jacket!

• Like 1

will try this when we arrive as we don't get there till 25th November

so hopefully good as nancy says

Charlie

I've always wondered what it would have been like to be on that boat I saw from the banks in 2008, police boat flying up and down, people dropping bombs off the bridge, boat being the target of fireworks launched at 90 degrees, but for some reason, I've never had the guts to find out.

Do they still run it?

I've done the Riverside many times and enjoyed it every time but one. I was with three Thai friends and this bunch of cretinous seppo jesus wheezers decided to start singing their God Squad songs.

I really had to bite my lip and not throw the f***ers overboard. They were screeching from start to finish and ruined the whole thing.

There is a roof on the boat, so I somehow the "incoming" avoided us when we cruised on the days before or after Loi Krathong. Lots of loud noise, though. It's my favorite Chiang Mai holiday. I'd rather deal with the noise of Loi Krathong than the water of Songkran. Yeah earplugs!

Narawat Bridge area resembles a war zone at times, but any visitors I've had just seem to accept that this is the way the Thai's celebrate their festival. I don't like the Narawat bridge area, hand held rockets fired across the river can be deadly or at least cause serious injury. But hey this is Thai fun, so who cares if someone loses a hand or eye, it's all in the cause of sanook!

• Like 1

To answer the OP, I'm not aware of any other restaurant that offers the dinner cruise. Riverside is really nice though. We go once or twice a year. I've never done it on Loy Krathong nor have I ever run into any Jesus freaks singing songs while on board.

Congratulations you are the only one to answer the OP.

I guess it is the Riverside or none.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Doing that ride on Loy Krathong would be like Apocalypse Now, where Capt. Willard and crew pull into that base where "there ain't no C.O. there," and everybody's armed and high.

Never get outta the boat!

That scene from Apocalypse Now is what I've always thought LK resembles.

I guess if the diners on the boat tried to retaliate with their own fireworks, all those along the banks would recreate another famous movie scene and "unleash hell" clap2.gif

Edited by MESmith