Safety in BKK during any upheaval?

impulse

"high calibre Thai army weaponry"

Just what is that?

"
I wouldn't call being searched when entering the protest area as "non-threatening"."

I'd limit my air travel if I were you ...

-----

The times I passed through the Ratchaprasong protest, I was never searched, questioned, or even stopped. But, this was before the assassination of Seh Daeng. I imagine things got a bit more paranoid after that.

However, upon trying to pass through the PAD encampment, at Government House, I was confronted and turned away, by rude, nasty guards.

Edited by Curt1591

Just what is that?

That is what the armed red shirts were using against the army.

"I wouldn't call being searched when entering the protest area as "non-threatening"."

I'd limit my air travel if I were you ...

When you travel by air, you get searched by officials, not by thugs.

• Like 1

Just what is that?

That is what the armed red shirts were using against the army.

This response puts your arguments rants in perfect perspective.

There was plenty of evidence of the red shirt militia having military arms, along with their grenades.

If you want to deny that there were armed ref shirts, then that clearly explains your rants.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

the problem is getting caught in the crossfire . and also RBGs.....

Lumpini Park if it becomes the staging point again is a perfect place as its close to Silom, Nana , Cental world, MBK etc.

not sure if RPGs go very far , but I hope they can not go over the expressway or Rama 4 !

I was stuck in BKK when the Yellow shirts shut the airport , I hope I do not need to "escape" overland like last time.....

It was announced that Democracy Monument was going to be the new HQ of the demonstrators.

Anyone know if they meant just for the afternoon or for the coming few days/weeks?

I work maybe 100 yards from Democracy Monument itself.

It was announced that Democracy Monument was going to be the new HQ of the demonstrators.

Anyone know if they meant just for the afternoon or for the coming few days/weeks?

I work maybe 100 yards from Democracy Monument itself.

How long is a piece of string?

You'll probably have a better idea than anyone else given that you work so close. Your immediate problem is going to be worsened traffic tomorrow in an area which is already terrible during peak hour.

If the govt is sensible they obviously won't want to engage riot police units to clear out the protesters but at the same time they won't want to make the previous mistakes that both the Dems made & PPP made by allowing protesters to camp for weeks and build up in numbers.

Keeping traffic flowing seems to be a priority but keeping govt offices functional and open appears to be a greater priority so the concern might be to restrict any potential movement down Ratchadamnoen Nok Ave for the next 24-48 hrs and allow Ratchadamnoen Klang Ave to be blocked for now. I don't know.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Protests-will-be-allowed-within-legal-limits-peace-30218715.html

An update from you tomorrow will be most welcome.

The times I passed through the Ratchaprasong protest, I was never searched, questioned, or even stopped. But, this was before the assassination of Seh Daeng. I imagine things got a bit more paranoid after that.

However, upon trying to pass through the PAD encampment, at Government House, I was confronted and turned away, by rude, nasty guards.

It is possible that we can refrain from the little historical tit for tat about who had a less or more confrontational perimeter security temperament during their protest (obviously some less than objective statements being made and everyone had different experiences) and concentrate on the now and future in the spirit of the OPs query?

Update:

Traffic is much busier than normal at Democracy Monument. I came into work early and the traffic is backed up over Pinklao bridge, I hate to think what it looks like towards the city.

Ratchadamnoen Klang is still closed going into the city and the demonstrators site is currently unoccupied but the speakers etc are set up so I expect this to kick off in a few hours.

Lots of police in the area but not in and area the main demonstration area but tucked away around the surrounding sois.

If anything changes I will update this thread.

• Like 1

I don't believe there is any way to predict how one might be impacted by any potential future unrest.

Any situations may be localized, fluid and dynamic and only impact certain people in certain areas.

Monitor ThaiVisa, TV news. If you are overly concerned travel to a different part of Thailand or the world.

When the Yellows took over the airport(s) only those wishing to fly were impacted.

When the Reds did their thing we lost power for one night, believe a nearby substation was set ablaze, some food/water shortages (hard to get to Khlongtoei market) and deliveries into the neighborhood impacted, never lost internet, mobile phone service was spotty on certain days, ATMs cleaned out/branches closed, acrid smoke from burning tires a bit a of a pain. We had lots of people walking through our neighborhood as it was the only route for some.

In all the disturbances here I think only two foreigners have died.

In times gone by, serious trouble has usually been contained within protest hotspots. But it can flare up in new areas quickly, eg setting fire to building elsewhere in the city. I was less 500m from where people were being shot and hardly noticed the change. About the worse that happened was they closed the 7-11s in the area for a day.

Update.

Nothing really gets going here until 2pm. They seem to have made a deal so the local schools are closing early so the students can get home before the 'party' starts.

Traffic is ok for this area which means it sucks.

Any shootings etc or bad Issan music I will let you know.

Been told by our Thai employees that Asoke will be protest central today.

I don't have the Thai skills to confirm, but it will be interesting.

The students were out on Asoke yesterday, marching from the university at one end (where I work) to the Sukhumvit intersection at the other (where I live). I was out yesterday afternoon, so missed it all.

This morning student protersters, I guess from Thammasat, are joining the protest site on Racthdamnen, and that street between the Democrazy Monmt and Kok Wua now also closed-north side= going INto ''downtown'' BKK. THis is actually the very same site where the reds started up in 2010, where an older monument for an older uprising stands and where the magic/secret meninblack have shot at reds.

Thus all traffic diverted via Pra Athit+Sumen and the other narrow roads. There is even a BMTA leaflet about 20+ diverted busroutes-see bangkokbusclub for that.

BUT; I am now only adding this/posting to ask IF this so venerable TV forum has a special thread on traffic problems and diversions-as this was so praised as to have happened in all other similar moves. Is it this or is it anywhere else? And thanks for Lakegnv for his wits and utmost reasonable way of thinking.

^ This is the list of buses in case anyone needs to know, The buses changing their routes are: 2, 15, 60, 68, 42, 82, 79, 511, 59, 503, 47, 516, 556, 509, 70, 44, 157, 35, 171 and 169.

Been told by our Thai employees that Asoke will be protest central today.

I don't have the Thai skills to confirm, but it will be interesting.

The students were out on Asoke yesterday, marching from the university at one end (where I work) to the Sukhumvit intersection at the other (where I live). I was out yesterday afternoon, so missed it all.

Also, the protest at Asoke at lunch today (12:30 - 1:30pm) by the Businessmen(sic) for Democracy Club has stated that they will protest at 5pm at Ratchaprasong intersection.
So don't be silly enough to drive along Rama 1 or Ratchadamri rds at that time! Not that anyone would be silly enough to drive that way at ANY peak time.........whistling.gif
All the protests thus far and as expected, are very orderly and peaceful - well, except for the whistles!!

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than start a new thread on the same subject, I'm going to bump this one.

Most of the threads on the protests in Bangkok rapidly turn to political discussion, and some of them are pretty interesting.

But I'm more interested in hearing about weathering any storm that may come about as a result of the escalating protests.

So far, the rallies (hate to call it a protest at Asoke) I have seen have taken on the demeanor of a street carnival more than a threatening mob.

What's the prognosis for this going south- from those of you who are closer to the protest sites? Does it look like the protesters, the government or military is escalating into potential violence? Are we seeing the same signs of escalation you saw in 2010? Any suggestions from old timers based on your experience from last time? Or the time before? Or the....

I'd appreciate staying away from any political discussion. There's plenty of that going on in other threads. I'm looking for practical safety suggestions, especially with specific locations to avoid. Thanks in advance.

Edited by impulse

DM has a kind of last day of a festival meets refugee camp feel to it during the daytime. I was in Dusit for a few hours on Monday and there seems to be an increasing amount of men dressed in black. Unsure if these are security people or Johnny Cash enthusiasts.

DM has a kind of last day of a festival meets refugee camp feel to it during the daytime. I was in Dusit for a few hours on Monday and there seems to be an increasing amount of men dressed in black. Unsure if these are security people or Johnny Cash enthusiasts.

I've read they are wearing black in mourning for the monk who passed. Probably not as ominous as they may look in black.

Thanks for the location details!

Edited by impulse

Avoid mixing up the RPG (Like the russian 85mm RPG-7) and the much smaller 40mm M79.

There is a significant difference in the size of payload, and range/accuracy.

What hit the Sala Dang BTS station, was 40mm grenades, supposedly fired from an M79.