This is a Noise Rant!

GinBoy2

NO the whole nation is afflicted with foriegners who dont and cant understand their culture and their ways and are intolerant of same.

Live and let live, chill out, it doesnt last that long, "mai pen rai". And remember "these people" allow you to enjoy their country.

Now we know why you use the, "ENGAGE! RESISTANCE IS FUTILE, quote."

whistling.gif

• Like 1

NO the whole nation is afflicted with foriegners who dont and cant understand their culture and their ways and are intolerant of same.

Live and let live, chill out, it doesnt last that long, "mai pen rai". And remember "these people" allow you to enjoy their country.

Your comment will go down like a lead balloon with many TVers I'm afraid.

BTW, love the Avatar - very apt for this forum. smile.png

Edited by Gsxrnz

For me there is a difference between a local open air bar/karaoke and a neighbours event like a wedding or funeral. For the former I would want it shut down but for a funeral that is the way the Thais do things (rightly or wrongly).

It's probably going to be 3 days ( could be 1, could be as long as 7).

Of course you could always go round and confront them, yelling about the noise they are making. They have just lost a loved one/family member so they would appreciate such a rant.

• Like 2

Thats right, it is Thai culture. You are lucky to be let in.

Please try to understand Thai culture, they have been playing their HiFi's, Moo Baan PA systems at full volume for hundreds of years, if not thousands.

Look at the size of some of the drums and gongs in the temples, they must have shook the village with those.

Thats right, it is Thai culture. You are lucky to be let in.

Please try to understand Thai culture, they have been playing their HiFi's, Moo Baan PA systems at full volume for hundreds of years, if not thousands.

Yes, they were far more technologically advanced than even the Romans!
  • Like 1

That is the way Thai's bid farewell to the departed!

I am surprised you were not offered a meal, serving folks at the funeral is also part of Thai customs.

Cheers:smile.png

Which often involves spending obscene amounts of money that families more often than not do not have to feed and water people they don't like and barely know, all for face. Better to spend money on the poor buggers when they are alive than use somebody's death to try and impress the neighbours.

Nope. It's a financial transition. One in which they rarely, if ever, lose money.

They give you an envelope, and you put money in it.

But, yes, there is face. You have to put your name on the envelope.

I refuse to go with the GF, except one time accidentally got roped into one walking down the street. The widow was young, with three really cute, well-behaved kids, all under six. I asked for the envelope.

• Like 2

I am surprised you were not offered a meal, serving folks at the funeral is also part of Thai customs.

Which often involves spending obscene amounts of money that families more often than not do not have to feed and water people they don't like and barely know, all for face. Better to spend money on the poor buggers when they are alive than use somebody's death to try and impress the neighbours.

Nope. It's a financial transition. One in which they rarely, if ever, lose money.

I refuse to go with the GF, except one time accidentally got roped into one walking down the street. The widow was young, with three really cute, well-behaved kids, all under six. I asked for the envelope.

All the ones I have been to have lost money, of course people here rarely tell the truth about such matters, face again, so who really knows

Western people complain a lot about other cultures when it doesn't suit their sensibilities.

Yet they believe others should adopt to their ways which they are literally fed up with.

Going to village in Thailand to live, then complain about noise when village people bury their dead.

Move to Sathorn road in bangkok,you won't hear any village chief's PA or the natives doing what they normally do.

• Like 1

All the ones I have been to have lost money ….

You must be a big eater ...

whistling.gif

I discovered the joys of earplugs back in the 80s when one of my roomates would have rock band practice in the living room. Works for noisy roosters at 5:00 am when having a hangover, weddings and the noisiest of Thai funerals. I suggest the wax variety at Boots.

Eh, I was somewhat annoyed by all the noise when I first moved to Thailand...but I got used to it. And you know what I miss most about Thailand now that I've moved back to the US (for work)? The people in the streets at all hours, all of the face-to-face social interaction. Residential streets here, at virtually all hours of the day and night (except for rush hour...and that's just <deleted>' CARS), are deathly quiet and eerily deserted. It feels sad and lonely. I long for the life-affirming human sounds of something like a Thai funeral.

• Like 1

OP clearly not invited.

A symptom of not integrating with the community that they live within, a sad situation to be in: An outsider for the last years of your life, the irony being that the same villagers will attend your funeral, but be celebrating your departure and not celebrating your life and it's contribution to theirs.

You should be more involved - your life will be better for it !

You can get away with a lot by calling it 'culture'......

• Like 1

I do feel bad for the lighter sleepers among us...

Trains, dogs barking, construction... None of it has ever bothered me... When I sleep, I sleep......

The problem this causes is that alarms generally have no effect on me... I often rely (hope) on my body clock, and try to keep the mrs as a fall back..