tips for luxury look in house...

Proof that money cannot buy taste, this house entrance with the gold coated collums is hideous.

It reminds me of the horrible mansions we regularly see in the thai series. Can't believe by the way that some posters in this thread think of them of references for luxury. Seems like it is very hard to pull off a luxury building in Thailand without making it look like a mix between an american superstars mansion and their weird attraction to collums and chinese nouveau-riche styled interiors full of gold, ugly Louis something furnitures and a maximum number of antiques scattered all over the place.

Jim Thompson's house, the old governor's mansion in Phuket town : luxury AND classy. Lakorn chinese style houses : maybe luxury but not classy at all!

Can we have a few pics of your place for comment thumbsup.gif . Please.

especially his "collums" (sic!) cheesy.gif

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Proof that money cannot buy taste, this house entrance with the gold coated collums is hideous.

It reminds me of the horrible mansions we regularly see in the thai series. Can't believe by the way that some posters in this thread think of them of references for luxury. Seems like it is very hard to pull off a luxury building in Thailand without making it look like a mix between an american superstars mansion and their weird attraction to collums and chinese nouveau-riche styled interiors full of gold, ugly Louis something furnitures and a maximum number of antiques scattered all over the place.

Jim Thompson's house, the old governor's mansion in Phuket town : luxury AND classy. Lakorn chinese style houses : maybe luxury but not classy at all!

i can understand your frustration. many rainy seasons ago i too had an ugly and hideous girlfriend and hardly any money. but i did not criticise those who had money and beautiful girlfriends.

l-dog%20small.jpg

What kind of repartee is that? Boohoo you think my house is ugly therefore you are poor and your girlfriend is ugly. I've heard better at the kindergarten.

Seems like you are obviously very proud of your wealth and your house. You should not give a crap if some anonymous poster thinks it is horrendous.

Do you think the owner of this "beatiful" "luxury" mansion care whatsoever what I think of this place, even though it is the most ridiculous house I have ever seen in my life? Typical exemple of what thais, chinese and americans think when they hear "luxury" :

3b58bc1ca4173c5c2ae100a798d81f0c.jpeg

e7dc3627c707f56d299db052b5c9e47a.jpeg

83509eb341da9afa8a95aa7f1b4b3639.jpeg

98a83bec5a87a0f6dba9d1cd48ba0c96.jpeg

I can see though expenses escallating as the build moves through the stages.

Ps, what does a 50k enterance door look like?

this entrance door (views from outside/inside) was less than 20k Baht:

Why do you prefer these rather unique columns to ones of classical proportions? I grew up in an area where neo-classical architecture in public buildings was the norm and most of the columns here just strike me as rather odd. Not necessarily good or bad, just odd.

give me one valid reason why i should not prefer whatever i prefer. by the way, these columns are not unique. only the bases are because i don't like round bases. not only dorian but also corinthian columns come in fluted versions. what i do hate are tapered columns and bases much smaller than the capitals.

de gustibus non est disputandum!

Corinth.gif

http://www.cmhpf.org/kids/dictionary/classicalorders.html

You should most certainly build them the way you prefer and I would never argue otherwise. There have been many variations on the classical orders, few sources from Vitruvius all the way through Jefferson agree exactly on proportions, and they are often altered to fit the circumstances in which they are to be employed. I am surprised you dislike entasis but I can see how that may be awkward in smaller columns such as your interior ones.

How did you have your columns fabricated? Would you mind giving a rough idea of the costs along with the height and diameter of the columns flanking your entry?

i can understand your frustration. many rainy seasons ago i too had an ugly and hideous girlfriend and hardly any money. but i did not criticise those who had money and beautiful girlfriends.

l-dog%20small.jpg

What kind of repartee is that? Boohoo you think my house is ugly therefore you are poor and your girlfriend is ugly. I've heard better at the kindergarten.

Seems like you are obviously very proud of your wealth and your house. You should not give a crap if some anonymous poster thinks it is horrendous.

Do you think the owner of this "beatiful" "luxury" mansion care whatsoever what I think of this place, even though it is the most ridiculous house I have ever seen in my life? Typical exemple of what thais, chinese and americans think when they hear "luxury" :

I would love to wonder around that place with a glass of Port in my hand. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Can we have a few pics of your place for comment thumbsup.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19> . Please.

Off topic. My house is not luxurious and I do not pretend or wish it was.

especially his "collums" (sic!) cheesy.gif alt=cheesy.gif>

Haha. Seems like I hit a nerve with your ridiculous columns.

I honestly think all my friends and extended family would laugh at my face for a few months if I showed anything that remotely looked like a column in or outside a modern house, bonus points with gold plated decoration. Maybe it's because I'm from Versailles that I'm not attracted at all with this style. Even my damned high school had columns all over the place...

I would love to wonder around that place with a glass of Port in my hand. thumbsup.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

Me too! Just to throw up all over the place thumbsup.gif

Can we have a few pics of your place for comment thumbsup.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19> . Please.

I honestly think all my friends and extended family would laugh at my face for a few months if I showed anything that remotely looked like a column in or outside a modern house, bonus points with gold plated decoration. Maybe it's because I'm from Versailles that I'm not attracted at all with this style. Even my damned high school had columns all over the place...

I would love to wonder around that place with a glass of Port in my hand. thumbsup.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

Well I think that last comment shows the difference between us. Perhaps your view of splendor is looking at the menu in lights at your local Kebab shop. I have no problem with that as tastes for the eye differ I suppose. BUT, must ad that places of splendor do not have vast lit up menu's but have a cultural, rather splendid feeling.thumbsup.gif Brings back memories.smile.png

Well I think that last comment shows the difference between us. Perhaps your view of splendor is looking at the menu in lights at your local Kebab shop. I have no problem with that as tastes for the eye differ I suppose. BUT, must ad that places of splendor do not have vast lit up menu's but have a cultural, rather splendid feeling.thumbsup.gif Brings back memories.smile.png

I don't get your kebab shop reference.

For sure taste differ, what is to me an horrible place with the most expensive items put together without any regard for style or authenticity is a place of splendor for you. Very strange!

In my mind a 4 meter wide chandelier, a weird mix of complicated marble and wood patterns, flowery wallpaper, gold and collumns everywhere just scream fake, bad taste and a serious need to impress visitors. I dont know if you've seen the concrete garden but it's even worse than the inside.

I think a place should retain some of its location influences. As I said previously, Jim Thompson house or the Phuket governors mansion look luxurious, classy, beautifully laid out and cosy at the same time.

thompson1.jpg

jim-thompson-living-room2.jpg

IMG_7104.JPG

blue-elephant9.jpg

4528636.jpg

BLUE-ELEPHANT-31.jpg

Now that's what I call real thai luxury! thumbsup.gif

Some may not like this style and try to emulate other country's and era's, but it's possible to make an interior looks authentic and splendid without going overboard as the chinese like to do.

article-0-15798BE4000005DC-693_634x399.jpost-4641-1156693976.gif

Luxurious? Maybe... Butt ugly? Sure!

Edited by pistachios

I don't get your kebab shop reference.

For sure taste differ, what is to me an horrible place with the most expensive items put together without any regard for style or authenticity is a place of splendor for you. Very strange!

In my mind a 4 meter wide chandelier, a weird mix of complicated marble and wood patterns, flowery wallpaper, gold and collumns everywhere just scream fake, bad taste and a serious need to impress visitors. I dont know if you've seen the concrete garden but it's even worse than the inside.

For me a place should retain its location influences. As I said previously, Jim Thompson house or the Phuket governors mansion look luxurious, classy, beautifully laid out and cosy at the same time.

thompson1.jpg

jim-thompson-living-room2.jpg

IMG_7104.JPG

blue-elephant9.jpg

4528636.jpg

BLUE-ELEPHANT-31.jpg

Now that's what I call real thai luxury! thumbsup.gif

Some may not like this style and try to emulate other countrie's and era's, but it's possible to make an interior looks authentic and splendid without going overboard as the chinese like to do.

article-0-15798BE4000005DC-693_634x399.jpost-4641-1156693976.gif

We all look at stuff differently. Fact. Yeh, your pics are great but l can see columns that you seem not to like. BUT, what ones eye sees and likes is the main thing. thumbsup.gif

this entrance door (views from outside/inside) was less than 20k Baht:

Why do you prefer these rather unique columns to ones of classical proportions? I grew up in an area where neo-classical architecture in public buildings was the norm and most of the columns here just strike me as rather odd. Not necessarily good or bad, just odd.

give me one valid reason why i should not prefer whatever i prefer. by the way, these columns are not unique. only the bases are because i don't like round bases. not only dorian but also corinthian columns come in fluted versions. what i do hate are tapered columns and bases much smaller than the capitals.

de gustibus non est disputandum!

Corinth.gif

http://www.cmhpf.org/kids/dictionary/classicalorders.html

You should most certainly build them the way you prefer and I would never argue otherwise. There have been many variations on the classical orders, few sources from Vitruvius all the way through Jefferson agree exactly on proportions, and they are often altered to fit the circumstances in which they are to be employed. I am surprised you dislike entasis but I can see how that may be awkward in smaller columns such as your interior ones.

How did you have your columns fabricated? Would you mind giving a rough idea of the costs along with the height and diameter of the columns flanking your entry?

in Thailand columns, capitals and bases are available pre-fabricated in parts. prepare embedded steel reinforcements use the parts and fill with concrete. have forgotten the cost but it was not expensive at all.

"entasis"... can't help it but find it ugly as sin, especially when the "swelling" is not linear and combined with tapering. but as i mentioned already "de gustibus non est disputandum".

people like me get amused when columns are labelled "collums". but you finally got it right and your friends and extended family have my permission to laugh about my columns laugh.png

people like me get amused when columns are labelled "collums". but you finally got it right and your friends and extended family have my permission to laugh about my columns laugh.png

Hey, I didn't give you my permission to laugh at my spelling mistake!

On the other hand, you can keep on insulting my girlfriend, just proving even more the point that I made before : money can't buy class.

l-dog%20small.jpg

You picked a good example of a terrible implementation IMHO - Ceilings are all way too low, Cornices, architraves and columns are devoid of any style, exterior walls are all just cement rendered, no use of color at all - I could go on and on...

Agree, this is just lipstick on a pig, as one of my friends in the motoring forum would say wink.png

Nothing screams "new money" quite as loud as a failed attempt at a house intented to suggest otherwise :P

Edited by IMHO

Neversure, nice kitchen! Can I ask how much?

Btw those ceilings that's 3m yeah? Looks nice. So does the columns in that hallway? shot. Are they the structural concrete columns or just there for the look?

Either way, they look good.

On this topic, we've used everything from corner-shop carpenters, firms doing hotels, to the big showroom brands. Now we mainly use Kvik though - their quality/price is unbeatable in TH. The only downside is that they only do modern designs, if that's not your thing.

http://www.kvik.co.th

The sandstone tiles on the lower 1M of the house cost 240 Baht/sqm meter fitted, and add both texture and color

The Smartwood (AKA Shera/Conwood) cladding cost around 120Baht per sqm fitted

Aren't you a little confused with your prices, as to my knowledge that are the prices of the material only, and here in Pattaya they will charge about 200 Bht/sqm for fitting the sandstone excluding the cement.

If you can confirm those prices, you're gonna be me builder next time.

The sandstone tiles on the lower 1M of the house cost 240 Baht/sqm meter fitted, and add both texture and color

Aren't you a little confused with your prices, as to my knowledge that are the prices of the material only, and here in Pattaya they will charge about 200 Bht/sqm for fitting the sandstone excluding the cement.

Tiles cost 160-180sqm, fitting cost 40sqm + the cost of latex cement & sealant. These are our cost prices, sell price is more tongue.png

Fitting is very simple - easier than bathroom wall tiles, as there's no grout needed and they're very easy to cut. One man can lay 15-20 sqm/day, so 40 Baht/sqm isn't very cheap. 200 Baht/sqm for fitting is robbery - at that price I'd probably get my own hands dirty ;)

Edited by IMHO

Tiles cost 160-180sqm, fitting cost 40sqm + the cost of latex cement & sealant. These are our cost prices, sell price is more tongue.png

Fitting is very simple - easier than bathroom wall tiles, as there's no grout needed and they're very easy to cut. One man can lay 15-20 sqm/day, so 40 Baht/sqm isn't very cheap. 200 Baht/sqm for fitting is robbery - at that price I'd probably get my own hands dirty wink.png

I don't want to get in an argument with you, but I have over 300 m² of sandstone fitted at my house. Fitted on the wall that is, not laid on he floor.

In a lucky day a subcontractor paid per m² would fit 25 - 30 m² with 2 people fitting, that is straight lined up which is not so easy 5 x 20 cm tiles that are all a few mm different in size , however they would also need someone to serve him with the cement. That is 1200 baht a day to share with 3 people ?

These days a decent building craftsman gets 1000 Baht ( and more ) a day in Bangkok. Still, 200 Bht/m² is kinda robbery but it include using their own tools and we are in Pattaya where every foreigner has a money tree in his garden.

Fitting is very simple - easier than bathroom wall tiles, as there's no grout needed and they're very easy to cut. One man can lay 15-20 sqm/day, so 40 Baht/sqm isn't very cheap. 200 Baht/sqm for fitting is robbery - at that price I'd probably get my own hands dirty wink.png

I don't want to get in an argument with you, but I have over 300 m² of sandstone fitted at my house. Fitted on the wall that is, not laid on he floor.

In a lucky day a subcontractor paid per m² would fit 25 - 30 m² with 2 people fitting, that is straight lined up which is not so easy 5 x 20 cm tiles that are all a few mm different in size , however they would also need someone to serve him with the cement. That is 1200 baht a day to share with 3 people ?

These days a decent building craftsman gets 1000 Baht ( and more ) a day in Bangkok. Still, 200 Bht/m² is kinda robbery but it include using their own tools and we are in Pattaya where every foreigner has a money tree in his garden.

I think there's two keywords here: Pattaya and Farang wink.png

We're talking about 3-5mm of latex cement here, no stones, not pouring posts or slabs, so 10 mins per hour mixing, 50 mins laying and it's a one-man job. Also, look around for tiles that are of equal sizes (they exist) - trimming every tile is a huge waste of time. We also push our contractors - no-one on our sites works at their own speed, they work at our speed :)

Edited by IMHO

We're talking about 3-5mm of latex cement here, no stones, not pouring posts or slabs, so 10 mins per hour mixing, 50 mins laying and it's a one-man job. Also, look around for tiles that are of equal sizes (they exist) - trimming every tile is a huge waste of time. We also push our contractors - no-one on our sites works at their own speed, they work at our speed smile.png

I know the ones equal in size exist, but not at 170Bht. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Buying the sandstone straight from the producers in Sikhio, I know what is available at 170 Bht ( excluded delivery )

Also don't know why you keep mentioning laying, while i'm talking about fitting on walls, which involves scaffolding which has to be moved constantly and on which you can store a limited amount of stones and cement.

And i know Pattaya and Farang are unfavorable keywords, but these days all the isaan workers that have a bit of building knowledge, are in Bangkok where they get paid +1000 Baht a day.

Anyway,you are definitely the one I'm gonna contact when i build my next house biggrin.png

We're talking about 3-5mm of latex cement here, no stones, not pouring posts or slabs, so 10 mins per hour mixing, 50 mins laying and it's a one-man job. Also, look around for tiles that are of equal sizes (they exist) - trimming every tile is a huge waste of time. We also push our contractors - no-one on our sites works at their own speed, they work at our speed smile.png

I know the ones equal in size exist, but not at 170Bht. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Buying the sandstone straight from the producers in Sikhio, I know what is available at 170 Bht ( excluded delivery )

Also don't know why you keep mentioning laying, while i'm talking about fitting on walls, which involves scaffolding which has to be moved constantly and on which you can store a limited amount of stones and cement.

And i know Pattaya and Farang are unfavorable keywords, but these days all the isaan workers that have a bit of building knowledge, are in Bangkok where they get paid +1000 Baht a day.

Anyway,you are definitely the one I'm gonna contact when i build my next house biggrin.png

OK, well, what do I know? smile.png

I only ever get involved in the projects where farang are involved, because I've got the best English in the family. That and projects for in-laws... It's not my day job, but obviously is yours :P

Edited by IMHO

This is MissFarmGirl's Aunts house.

Luxury here is redefined as a straight wall.

LR DSCF6399.JPG

Actually any wall would be nice ... rolleyes.gif

Life is what it is when you have few choices.

Absolutely it is David. Some have no choice at all. That could be any number of houses in our village. Then us falang wonder why we get overcharged, ripped off and generally looked at as 'rich'. Perhaps we have ourselves to blame?

Such is life...

It's your castle Naam, your rite to do whatever you like. They're just jealous. It looks good imo.