Riding Angry

blackpanda

Today I got mad at work and on my way home I was riding more aggressive than usual. I was filtering between a big rig and a van and the van began to veer off towards the big rig. I was half way through when I had to emergency brake to get back be hide the van. While braking the van pushed its way into my mirror folding it in a little. I think the front end of the motorcycle lifted up a little bit and when it came down again the rear wheel screech a bit. When the bike landed back down it gave me a nasty wobble. I laid off the brakes and the bike settled down after a second. Is the closest I've ever felt to death. I thought afterwards that if I would have crashed I surely would have gone under that truck and died.

Luckily I was able to save it and I'm still here to tell you guys, and ladies, the story. Riding a motorcycle relieves anger and stress. But you got to remember that that anything can happen out on these streets.

Has anyone ridden angry and had a close call because of it? How many of us drive angry??

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Today I got mad at work and on my way home I was riding more aggressive than usual. I was filtering between a big rig and a van and the van began to veer off towards the big rig. I was half way through when I had to emergency brake to get back be hide the van. While braking the van pushed its way into my mirror folding it in a little. I think the front end of the motorcycle lifted up a little bit and when it came down again the rear wheel screech a bit. When the bike landed back down it gave me a nasty wobble. I laid off the brakes and the bike settled down after a second. Is the closest I've ever felt to death. I thought afterwards that if I would have crashed I surely would have gone under that truck and died.

Luckily I was able to save it and I'm still here to tell you guys, and ladies, the story. Riding a motorcycle relieves anger and stress. But you got to remember that that anything can happen out on these streets.

Has anyone ridden angry and had a close call because of it? How many of us drive angry??

And if the van had run you down he would not stop. Gee, i dont ride a bike it is bad enough driving a car. Glad you are ok to trll the story

Kevvy

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And if the van had run you down he would not stop. Gee, i dont ride a bike it is bad enough driving a car. Glad you are ok to trll the story

Kevvy

"And if the van had run you down he would not stop"

How could you possibly know that except in your biased imagination (and I would guess the implication is that you also KNOW that the driver of the van was Thai??).

And, at that point, had the OP been run over, would the van driver stopping or not stopping somehow have made it into a happy or unhappy ending?

It sounds like the O/P was making the point that HE was not driving cautiously because of HIS emotional state ... but let's turn the story around and make an imaginary outcome for which the (presumably Thai) van driver was at fault to make the story comply with our world view.

• Like 1

Kevvy

How could you possibly know that except in your biased imagination (and I would guess the implication is that you also KNOW that the driver of the van was Thai??).

And, at that point, had the OP been run over, would the van driver stopping or not stopping somehow have made it into a happy or unhappy ending?

It sounds like the O/P was making the point that HE was not driving cautiously because of HIS emotional state ... but let's turn the story around and make an imaginary outcome for which the (presumably Thai) van driver was at fault to make the story comply with our world view.

Yes i think that Kevvy knows the van driver was a Thai, since van driving is a restricted employment, for which there are no work permits.

• Like 2

^ Actually you can rent a van to drive yourself no problem. We did when my family was over.

But yes, there is no doubt that the van driver was a Thai, and that he would have been outta there faster than a sour plum should there have been an accident.

How could you possibly know that except in your biased imagination

Even the Thai police flee mate.

Link

When will you first be coming to Thailand?

Edited by yingyo

I know it's very common to flee accident scenes. It is a cowardly act, but remember too that there are valid reasons one can leave the scene of an accident. One is if the person require s immediate medical attention, the other is if they feel their safety is in jeopardy, the latter of which is actually fairly common here as we hear of people often beaten by mobs after causing an accident. I. too, would flee if I felt I was in danger of receiving mob justice.

I know it's very common to flee accident scenes. It is a cowardly act, but remember too that there are valid reasons one can leave the scene of an accident. One is if the person require s immediate medical attention, the other is if they feel their safety is in jeopardy, the latter of which is actually fairly common here as we hear of people often beaten by mobs after causing an accident. I. too, would flee if I felt I was in danger of receiving mob justice.

Everybody knows the justice system doesn't work here and that's why people "leg it" after an accident. "Might is right" "The rich man pays" applies here, so forget "What is fair and reasonable".

I was once advised by a lawyer that it pays to reverse over an seriously injured victim, as you could end up paying for them for the rest of their lives, but certainly don't stop if it not your fault. Not sure I could do that, but hope I never have to.

Everybody knows the justice system doesn't work here and that's why people "leg it" after an accident. "Might is right" "The rich man pays" applies here, so forget "What is fair and reasonable".

I was once advised by a lawyer that it pays to reverse over an seriously injured victim, as you could end up paying for them for the rest of their lives, but certainly don't stop if it not your fault. Not sure I could do that, but hope I never have to.

Whilst riding a motorbike, how many times would you need to reverse over an injured person to ensure you didn't have to pay out for the rest of their life !!! Especially on a Honda Wave, would take forever...

OP, glad you managed to avoid an accident. I think you raised a very real issue, thank you.

• Like 1

Kevvy

Yes i think that Kevvy knows the van driver was a Thai, since van driving is a restricted employment, for which there are no work permits.

What nonsense, I owned and drove a van for years here in Chiang Mai. Never needed nor had a work permit.

When I crashed a few months ago I was tired and a bit hung over, just lost concentration, it is not good to ride when you are distracted or impaired. Lucky for me no other vehicle envolved and a Thai truck driver stopped to help me get the bike up. So get over the Thai bashing they are just like people the world over some good some bad and some in between.

• Like 2

It wasn't a normal van that carries dozens of people at a time. It seemed more of a grocery work van. The driver didn't look Thai he looked Chinese, maybe Chinese Thai.

I think he was veering off the lane because I wanted to get in front of the truck.

Since the incident I have removed the DB killer from my exhaust and now the exhaust is annoying loud and the cars open up in traffic for me. The scooters also move aside for me.

Yesterday when I was almost home a lady on the back of a scooter gave a nasty look, that my exhaust is to loud, so I redlined the bike while passing her for giving me that look.

Loud pipes save live. And keep other people alert. I'm going to keep the DB killer off and just ride with ear plugs.

• Like 1

Yes riding when you angry is not safe, very not safe. Once I went to Chiang Mai, I was very happy. As you go close to CM from CR there is last set of mountains. As I go up I have only one lane and there are 2 lanes of traffic going in opposing direction. I was doing about 80 and road started to curve. When I got into a corner I can see a car coming straight at me as I turn, there is nowhere for me to go left. That car had 2 lanes but decided to overtake 2 cars in 2 lanes by going into mine. I tried braking but that was stupid as bike started to straighten out from the corner. The car was doing about 120, I was thinking about throwing the bike as a last resort but missed the car by a matter of millimeters. Was so close to death I had to stop and calm down.

Please be careful here its so flipping dangerous to drive around here road conditions, and stupid drivers.

2 days ago I was going with wife and baby in my car. Before I came out of the soi (1 meter out because I couldnt see behind a tree) I saw only 1 pickup coming about 200-300 meters away to be safe stopped to let her go, preparing to go after her. THat lady ran straight in the front of my car without braking or anything. She was on the phone and police said she denied it they cant confirm in the end my fault for coming out 1m out of the soi because of the obstruction which they didnt give a s...t about.

• Like 1

Whenever cagers put my life in danger either through their arrogance (trying to run me off the road because they're bigger) or stupidity (changing lanes or turning without looking or using turn signals), I just punch off their wing mirror as I ride by.

If they're not going to use their mirrors then they don't need them!

Edited by H1w4yR1da
  • Like 1

Riding a bike when angry is OK, but riding angrily is suicide. The same goes for most things in life. I mean for example, shave angrily and you're gonna look like Norman Gunston - not a good look. Ride a bike (or drive a car) angrily and it's going to be even uglier.

Don't let the anger emotion take over your actions, your demeanour, or your life.......but that could be a whole new thread on TV couldn't it? whistling.gif

• Like 2

Whenever cagers put my life in danger either through their arrogance (trying to run me off the road because they're bigger) or stupidity (changing lanes or turning without looking or using turn signals), I just punch off their wing mirror as I ride by.

But one day a driver will come after you and rear end you.

Better dont mess with 4 wheeled things on roads on a motorcycle.

Leave them with their own stupitidy and leave.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Have you noticed an increase in driver intelligence since you started this? How many mirrors have you "punched off", Dr. Ironfist?

Maybe you're just trolling but this is just classic road rage - there is absolutely no reason to start it, and it never ends well. If somebody cuts you off 99% of the time they just didn't see you. Maybe they didn't look - oh, the outrage, because we are perfect and have never made a single mistake in our entire life. Especially in traffic.

I wouldn't do this not because I'd be afraid of the consequences, but because it's just a dumb thing to do.

• Like 2

riding with a brain full of emotions - call it anger, hate or love-  is the worst way to spoil your concentration.

you must be in a state on a bike like you are doing meditation.

Agreed. But in this case do not close your eyes.

Or close them for three seconds and convince yourself mentally: by the time I open my eyes, I am going to be in 6th gear.

• Like 1

Have you noticed an increase in driver intelligence since you started this? How many mirrors have you "punched off", Dr. Ironfist?

Maybe you're just trolling but this is just classic road rage - there is absolutely no reason to start it, and it never ends well. If somebody cuts you off 99% of the time they just didn't see you. Maybe they didn't look - oh, the outrage, because we are perfect and have never made a single mistake in our entire life. Especially in traffic.

I wouldn't do this not because I'd be afraid of the consequences, but because it's just a dumb thing to do.

'An increase in driver intelligence'? You serious? It's Thais were talking about!

No, my fists aren't made of iron but I do wear armoured gloves.

As to your ridiculous 'they didn't see you statement', care to back up those figures? Or are you just trolling? I think I can guess which.

So you reckon it's a dumb thing to do? Well, we all have our opinions, but I, as well as my riding buddies think differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by H1w4yR1da

If I'm riding fairly fast (or accelerating hard) on my my bike, I know that I'm going to see a lot more drivers pulling out in front of me than I do when I'm riding my Wave at a more sedate pace- cars just aren't used to two-wheeled vehicles approaching a high velocity, and they see every bike as a scooter, regardless of displacement (this isn't to say that they won't pull out in front of a scooter as well) and they often think they have more room/time than they actually do- I've always got the brake and the horn covered when I'm in that mode. I don't excuse these drivers, but I do understand them a bit.

I try not to get too angry on my bike- I just feel too vulnerable under normal circumstances to add negative emotion to my riding- you've gotta show grace under pressure on the road- unless we've made contact, I'll just shake my head and move on.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1