Latest info on retirement visa

You are totally confused. You don't have a clue about this....

OK. Let's see.

The "retirement visa" you're referring to is a non-O visa,

Hmm. Nearly. See below.

which is what is extended once a year.

Any visa can be extended (or more accurately, the stay resulting from any visa can be extended). It does not have to be a retirement visa. Just in case you are still confused, a retirement visa is a long visa issued for retirement purposes. See below.

A short visa can be first converted into a longer visa, and then used for an extension of stay as I mentioned.

You can get them before you come to Thailand, or get one in the immigration office here. You got yours here - no difference.

No, I didnt. I just got a multiple-entry tourist visa in Hull. Hull being in the UK and hence outside of Thailand. This was extended here for retirement. I could have gone for retirement visa in Hull (see below) but it would have been more difficult to obtain (much more paperwork) and would have gained me nothing. So I didn't.

The important part to understand is that I am still in Thailand based on that initial tourist visa. I do not have any other type of visa. I have never had a retirement visa or other long visa of any type issued. All I have is a straightforward retirement extension of stay of that original multiple-entry tourist visa. This is what the local immigration office does. The local immigration office does not issue visas.

So there is no "retirement visa" as such, only a non-O visa extended on the basis of retirement, so calling it a retirement visa will cause no confusion whatsoever.

In case you still don't get this, have a look at this link: http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/44

Amongst the descriptions of the various types of visa, note in particular the line mentioning "retirement/long-stay visa O-A"

Follow that link: http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

That is a retirement visa, as explicitly described by the Thai Embassy (who, after all, should know what they are talking about).

Note the similarity of the financial requirements needed compared to a retirement extension obtained locally. Note also the extra paperwork needed for the visa as compared to the extension.

Compare the above with the requirements for other visa types on that main page of the website.

This visa, being a long visa, can also be used for an extension of stay for retirement by the local immigration office and if this is done the requirements are exactly the same as for any other extension based on retirement. This has to be done every year.

Yes, that has been discussed on many threads, unfortunately you didn't understand the process.

I did. You didn't. Now you should too.

Others may also benefit.

Those who still prefer to call a visa a turnip are welcome to do so, but I think it makes them appear very stupid.

If your so concerned about being right, why are you retired here in a tourist visa. Thats definitly not right.

A person can be retired and be a tourist the same as a person can be working and be a tourist. The poster clearly stated they started there stay as a tourist and decided to change to retirement - happens every day and noting wrong with doing so. What the poster does not seem to know is that they had to obtain a non immigrant visa entry to extend for retirement - they did not do so from a tourist visa directly but changed at a fee of 2,000 baht before extending for retirement for 1,900 baht.

If your so concerned about being right, why are you retired here in a tourist visa. Thats definitly not right.

Actually I'm retired here on a retirement extension of stay, which is 100% right and is precisely what the Thai government wants me to do.

What the poster does not seem to know is that they had to obtain a non immigrant visa entry to extend for retirement - they did not do so from a tourist visa directly but changed at a fee of 2,000 baht before extending for retirement for 1,900 baht.

I'm not sure if by "the poster" you mean me or someone else but I arrived with a multiple-entry 1 year visa issued in the UK for the purposes of tourism which was subsequently extended for the purposes of retirement locally for 1900B. I certainly never paid the extra 2000B though I am aware that those with shorter visas may have done so.

What the poster does not seem to know is that they had to obtain a non immigrant visa entry to extend for retirement - they did not do so from a tourist visa directly but changed at a fee of 2,000 baht before extending for retirement for 1,900 baht.

I'm not sure if by "the poster" you mean me or someone else but I arrived with a multiple-entry 1 year visa issued in the UK for the purposes of tourism which was subsequently extended for the purposes of retirement locally for 1900B. I certainly never paid the extra 2000B though I am aware that those with shorter visas may have done so.

You confused us with this comment from post # 17:

"I say I have a retirement extension which is correct. My visa is not renewed or reissued every year and it has nothing to do with retirement as it was a simple tourist multi-entry. My permission to stay is extended every year for purposes of retirement."

...and made it even more confusing when you spoke of ''extra steps", indicating that you had to pay 2000 baht for this "extra step" to purchase a non-O visa, which is what I did. Now you tell us you didn't have to pay for this extra step as you extended a multi-entry non-O visa.

Considering you're a stickler for correct terminology, it's surprising you mentioned "simple tourist multi-entry" visa, as no such visa exists. You can get single, double and triple entry tourist visas, but not multi-entry tourist visas.

Edited by tropo

1) It is an extension of stay, not a visa. You do not need an actual retirement visa to do this, just any long visa. In fact they will even do it from scratch on a short visa with one extra step and one extra fee. They may even do it from a visa-waiver entry.

(The OP specifically asked not to be corrected on terminology)

Well, most of us will call it a "retirement visa". It is a visa. It's a non-O visa which can be extended a year at a time if you satisfy the requirements. If someone asks you what visa you have, what do you tell him?.... "I have an extension of stay on a non-Immigrant - O visa based on retirement"?

You are incorrect about the procedure. They can do it from a tourist visa or a visa-exempt entry, but first you pay 2000 baht for a non-O visa which they then give you a one year extension on based on retirement.

My wife had to leave the country to get a non-O visa from a neighboring Thai consulate as they do not complete the process in Thailand for dependents.

Keep it simple,.. for all intents and purposes it's a retirement visa.

Very nice and accurate post. thumbsup.gif

Except for one thing. You tell people "I have a one year extension of stay on a non-Immigrant - O visa based on retirement having met the financial requirements of 800k baht in the bank, or 65,000 baht per month income, or a combination of both and being more than 50 years old. I also paid the 3800 baht for the multi entry."

Or as you said, you could say "I have a retirement visa." clap2.gif

• Like 2

I also paid the 3800 baht for the multi entry."

I wish I had done that last year. I try to save money as I don't know how many times a year I'm going to leave, but last year I went out 5 times and had to make 5 separate trips to immigration to get the re-entry permits and that takes up nearly 5 pages in my passport too..

Does this multiple re-entry permit have to coincide with your yearly visa extension, or can you get it anytime and it's valid for one year from that date?

A multi - entry 1 year "visa" for the pupose of tourism ?

Issued in the UK ?

From the Embassy or an Hon. Consulate?

I am sure you will scan and post this "visa" and so demonstrate this remarkable and possibly unique visa to us all.

Where exactly can we all obtain one ?

I also paid the 3800 baht for the multi entry."

I wish I had done that last year. I try to save money as I don't know how many times a year I'm going to leave, but last year I went out 5 times and had to make 5 separate trips to immigration to get the re-entry permits and that takes up nearly 5 pages in my passport too..

Does this multiple re-entry permit have to coincide with your yearly visa extension, or can you get it anytime and it's valid for one year from that date?

All re-entry permits are only valid up to your permitted to stay date.

For a multiple entry it is best to get it when you do your extension so you can get the most out of it.

I just made my "old age visa" "longer" this week. In and out of immig. within 20 mins. Very smooth process.

Do you mean that you obtained an extension of stay on the basis of retirement ?

Immigration do not give "visas"smile.png

I think it was called a "permit to stay in thailand longer pass".