Why be in Thailand?

laolover88

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are there actually any good reasons for living here rather than somewhere else?

Yes, tax reasons and ease of living here, no one asks any questions.

Its at time like this I feel sorry for my American friends with the draconian IRS on there back.

Personally I would rather be elsewhere and so would the mrs, but the visa situation prohibts this.

Never could understand why the good old US of A has never introduced some sort of retirement visa, guess they would rather have illegals than those with money.

You have almost 100k per year of income excluded if earned overseas. If your money is made in the US, you are taxed on it. Like income from real estate, business interests, etc. Is that different from other countries around the world?

I get my income from rental income. Last year I paid 15% tax.

Other nationalities have issues too. I think Norway makes you stay in country for at least 6 months a year or you lose your medical benefit. Canada has something like that also, I believe. Heck, my Norwegian friend is selling his condo here as his government is making everybody report overseas properties and pay taxes on them!

Interesting that many rant about the US, but things like this are never mentioned. Jealousy?

• Like 1

Its at time like this I feel sorry for my American friends with the draconian IRS on there back.

Personally I would rather be elsewhere and so would the mrs, but the visa situation prohibts this.

Never could understand why the good old US of A has never introduced some sort of retirement visa, guess they would rather have illegals than those with money.

You have almost 100k per year of income excluded if earned overseas. If your money is made in the US, you are taxed on it. Like income from real estate, business interests, etc. Is that different from other countries around the world?

Other nationalities have issues too. I think Norway makes you stay in country for at least 6 months a year or you lose your medical benefit. Canada has something like that also, I believe. Heck, my Norwegian friend is selling his condo here as his government is making everybody report overseas properties and pay taxes on them!

Interesting that many rant about the US, but things like this are never mentioned. Jealousy?

Canada you never lose your health coverage, however there is a waiting period in some Provinces for returning residents, there is supplemental insurance one can buy if they didnt meet the required residency requirement. In my case no waiting period for a 5 year stay abroad and easily renewed if needed after that.

• Like 1

Here for my wife, house, and squash. But after almost 10 years, we are switching to 9 months USA - 3 months in Thailand. Officially have 2 completely setup homes, make's it nice to travel back and forth without the need to pack.

For 9 years I took advantage of the USA Foreign exclusion tax credit, it was a nice run at $80,000 a year but this year I gave it up.

• Like 1

Canada you never lose your health coverage, however there is a waiting period in some Provinces for returning residents, there is supplemental insurance one can buy if they didnt meet the required residency requirement. In my case no waiting period for a 5 year stay abroad and easily renewed if needed after that.

Good information. I use to RV with a bunch of Canadians in Mexico. I remember them having to go home to make sure they didn't lose their coverage. Never paid much attention to it as in the US, we don't have any!!!!

Back to the OP. I moved here mainly for the weather and cheap living. The weather is still fantastic (OK, a bit hot at times) but it's no longer a "really" cheap place. Prices have crept up a lot and the exchange rate isn't what it use to be. Plus, with the political turmoil, it's no longer a safe place for investments.

As another member mentioned, there's really no where else in Asia that fits the bill. Would love to spend more time in Japan, but can't afford it.

Latin and South America have some possibilities, but weather can be dodgy and security is a huge issue. Learning Spanish is a must.

Love parts of Europe, but cold winters are a problem.

• Like 1

Lived here and there....and compared to Jamaica this place is paradise. For this region Thailand for me is the best option. Live near Vientiane and go there often....now that is a real dung hole. Sort of like the Tijuana of Mexico.

Over the years I've often been to Vientiane and to TJ - I live in central Mexico. I see no comparison between VT [pop est 750k+] and TJ [pop est 1.4mil] - worlds and worlds apart both literally and figuratively - My only regret after my 1st visit to Vientiane xx years ago was "Wow, what was it like in the mid/late 60's?"

-former sole US rep for Lao Aviation

Lived here and there....and compared to Jamaica this place is paradise. For this region Thailand for me is the best option. Live near Vientiane and go there often....now that is a real dung hole. Sort of like the Tijuana of Mexico.

Over the years I've often been to Vientiane and to TJ - I live in central Mexico. I see no comparison between VT [pop est 750k+] and TJ [pop est 1.4mil] - worlds and worlds apart both literally and figuratively - My only regret after my 1st visit to Vientiane xx years ago was "Wow, what was it like in the mid/late 60's?"

-former sole US rep for Lao Aviation

TJ is a horrible place. Been there many times. Normally just passing through. As quickly as possible.

Many nice places to live in Central Mexico. I hear you can get medical benefits via Medicare there now???? If so, that's a big deal for Americans.

We use to spend a lot of time north and south of Mazatlan. A bit of time in Baja. A short trip to the Yucatan. Love the beaches.

Many reasons:laugh.png

The climate.

The women!giggle.gif

It is cheap. I know some posters will not agree. But I think it is cheap!

The smiles. 90% fake or for money, But I still enjoy it.

Easy the get permission to stay long time.

The food. Both the streetfood and all the good restaurants.

Thai politics!! You couldn't make it up. Super entertainment.clap2.gif

I became hansum without plastic surgery!

The very colourful everyday life.

Been here 10 years. My only regret is, that I didn't come earlier.

And now....Free Government Medical Insurance for foreigners....Yes....I share your regret....

I came out here to further my interest in bird-watching. I have found a particular liking to the the brown coloured, short legged varieties mostly native to the north and north-east areas of the Kingdom.

I prefer the elusive "Non-BG" variety.

Why?

1. The beautiful TG half my age

2. Living on a world class beach for a couple of thousand $'s/mo.

3. Sanouk

• Like 1

Actually, yes, I have to pay taxes to the IRS but they are less than 20% of my gross adjusted income. I posted a link earlier showing that the average American pays about 20% in taxes - even the rich. People from other Western countries on here say they would have to pay much more than that in their home country.

Also the US doesn't have import duties, so consumer items are cheap.

The US government deposits about $2,500 (78,000 baht) into my bank account every month for my social security payment. It also provides me with full health insurance including prescription drugs for about $150 (4,700 baht) per month. I don't have much to complain about.

That's a bloody good point. US retirement visas. Where are they? Why aren't they?

Maybe they read ThaiVisa and the comments about the US by all of the "foreigners." biggrin.png

Just a minor point concerning your statement that "The US government deposits about $2,500 (78,000 baht) into my bank account every month for my social security payment" lest our non American friends get the wrong impression. Social security is based on a lifetime of income and social security payment withholdings made by each of us. If compared to other investment alternatives, the return on our investment is not particularly impressive. I am not complaining and am looking forward to drawing my own social security in a few years, but did not want to have anyone walk away thinking that this was free money from the US government.

Also, when analyzing US income taxes, adjusted gross income is income after deductions and exemptions. The most recent data (2009) tells us that the average tax rate, based on adjusted gross income, was 11.09%. Obviously, when calculating taxes based on total income, the percentage is substantially smaller than that number.

Cheers.

You are correct and I was responding to the comment "I feel sorry for my American friends with the draconian IRS on there back."

Your 11.09% doesn't include FICA withholdings which will push the tax closer to 20%. A factor there is that FICA is paid on only about the first $100k of earnings and then it stops. (going up next year.) This is a reason that higher earners can pay about the same percentage as lower earners. People with some money often get income that is taxed at a lower rate such as capital gains. There are many other easy and legal tax shelters.

So, our friends in other countries do usually pay more in taxes, including VAT and import taxes on goods. And while mandatory and not a good investment, I don't refuse the $2500 deposited in my account each month!! I'm actually getting a small cost of living increase Jan. 1.

• Like 1

I came out here to further my interest in bird-watching. I have found a particular liking to the the brown coloured, short legged varieties mostly native to the north and north-east areas of the Kingdom.

I couldn't agree more. My favourite species is the big breasted bed thrasher

If it wasn't for the two nippers I'd never have come back here to be honest. I'd much prefer to see the rest of the World first and then retire to Devon.

Oh well. Never mind.

One great thing about the British it does not matter where they are living in the world Britain is always better have heard dozens in Australia , Philipines , Thailand and New Zealand whinge and whinge but they never go back mmmm I wonder why ?

That's a bloody good point. US retirement visas. Where are they? Why aren't they?

In one word paranoia.

EB5 Investment Visa/ Green Card – This requires that at least $500K to be invested into a Federally Designated Regional Center (FDRC). These are massive developments where developers have been licensed by the US Government to solicit overseas investments, and in the process of the alien investing into the project, they can apply for and be granted a green card for life. Plus, (typically after about 5-6 years) when the project is completed and sold, the investors should get their money back plus a little interest.

EB5 green cards offer a one-time permanent immigration solution although the price tag is very high. Also, the EB5 visa investment is not in anyway guaranteed. Just like the stock market, investors can make or lose money. We do not handle these types of cases as a law firm, but it’s important that you know about this option as a possibility nonetheless. We hope you found this presentation informative and helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact us so we can discuss any opportunity you may hav

Why not? The Thais love foreigners...that is why you have to show and maintain a sizeable income to stay...

They check regularly to ensure you can still maintain your standard of living...and if not...they will be glad to assist your move elsewhere...

This may be the only country I know...where you have to examine...in minute detail every monetary transaction...you can be sure they have found some method of scamming you out of your baht...

And owning a home...yes...just place it in a Thais name...so in a few months or years...you can find yourself out of a place to stay...and did I mention unable to recoup the millions of baht you poured into the home in the purchase...furniture...and so on...

And who does not love to see foreigners displayed as moronic villains in the press...TV...and movies...

Ah...yes...Thailand is the place for me...

• Like 2

Why not? The Thais love foreigners...that is why you have to show and maintain a sizeable income to stay...

They check regularly to ensure you can still maintain your standard of living...and if not...they will be glad to assist your move elsewhere...

This may be the only country I know...where you have to examine...in minute detail every monetary transaction...you can be sure they have found some method of scamming you out of your baht...

And owning a home...yes...just place it in a Thais name...so in a few months or years...you can find yourself out of a place to stay...and did I mention unable to recoup the millions of baht you poured into the home in the purchase...furniture...and so on...

And who does not love to see foreigners displayed as moronic villains in the press...TV...and movies...

Ah...yes...Thailand is the place for me...

what country invites poor folk to come and stay??

• Like 1