Google Nexus 5 available now for US$349

webfact

Google Nexus 5 Available Now for $349
LG-manufactured smartphone will ship with Android 4.4 Kitkat.

by Justin Rubio

n5.jpg

Google has officially announced what may be one of the company's worst kept secrets, the Nexus 5 smartphone. After showing up in a countless number of leaked images and documents, and even popping up in the Google Play store for a brief moment, the LG-manufactured handset has finally received a proper unveiling.

Most, if not all, of the phone's details were already out in the open, but now we know with complete certainty what will come with the Nexus 5. On the outside of the device you'll find a 4.95-inch 1,920 x 1,080 display, an 8-megapixel camera on the rear, and a 1.3-megapixel shooter up front. Internally, the Nexus 5 is equipped with a 2.2GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor, 2GB of RAM, a 2,300 mAh battery with wireless charging, either 16GB or 32GB of on-board storage, and, unlike last year's Nexus 4, LTE connectivity right out of the box.

On the software side, the Nexus 5 will ship with Android 4.4 KitKat pre-loaded. The latest version of Google's mobile operating system isn't a huge leap from the previous Jelly Bean iterations, but there are a few notable additions. For one, users can now choose their default text messaging app—so if you would rather use an app available through the Google Play store instead of the stock app or Google Hangouts, the choice is there. [read more...]

Full story: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/31/google-nexus-5-available-now-for-349

-- IGN 2013-11-01

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From OP article - "For those in the United States, the Nexus 5 is available for AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint users. Verizon customers are, once again, without a Nexus phone this year."

So is it coming with a built-in and locked sim? A different one for each service provider? Or can any of them use your phone?

I got locked into a Motorola that I bought for 1/2 price from AT&T because I signed a two year contract. But now that the contract is up, the sim isn't removable and it's locked to AT&T. I have heard that some places can flash it but I haven't looked into it. I'm chugging along with AT&T but on a month to month basis because my contract ran its course.

I would be interested only if it has a removable sim.

Edited by NeverSure

Hope It will soon be available in Thailand as it offers LTE (4G). Perfect for True's 4G Network and comes at half of the price of the Samsung Galaxy 4.

Would be great if it will be availabe for Sale @True, otherwise I will go anff get one at MBK.

So is it coming with a built-in and locked sim? A different one for each service provider? Or can any of them use your phone?

As near as I can determine there are two different variants, the D820 for the U.S. and the D821 for ROW.

(D820) North America: GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19
LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41
(D821) Rest of World: GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8

LTE: Bands: 1/3/5/7/8/20

Both variants accept a uSIM.

I believe the U.S Play Store is selling the D820 variant, which would be fine for Thailand, even LTE support for TrueMove H (Band 1), but no 1800 MHz LTE support, which is the band which the NBTC might eventually auction, so maybe a non-issue.

Any Google Nexus device is sold unlocked, unsubsidized from the Play Store. Most people will buy a GNEX 5 then use a month-month plan, either from a service provider like AT&T or T-Mo, or one of their MVNOs. This practice is becoming a bit more commonplace in the U.S.

Service providers can/may sell their own locked, branded and/or subsidized versions. I think T-Mo plans to sell a GNEX5 (D820).

There are more and more regional Play Stores popping up, but expect prices to be higher from those.

LG will probably localize and sell the GNEX5 here in Thailand, albeit for a premium price of 15,000 - 18,000 THB.

I got locked into a Motorola that I bought for 1/2 price from AT&T because I signed a two year contract. But now that the contract is up, the sim isn't removable and it's locked to AT&T.

AT&T is legally obligated to provide you with an unlock code, assuming you have satisfied your contract.

Edited by lomatopo

BTW, If anyone has information on where to buy (True / MBK / wherever), please let us know. Tnx!

Well, it's branded as Google so perhaps www.google.com/nexus/5 might help

$349 for the 16gb version, $399 for 32gb

Edited by mrfill

@mrfill

For those living in wwestern countries, just order in google play store. For those living in Thailand -> This probably won't work.

Google play store in Thailand does not list the Nexus 5 yet. Probably will not list it during the next couple of month (I think they dont include Thailand at all in their web shop).

I think these guys have them already.

Not sure that's physically possible without a time machine and/or transporter.Posted Image 

Yes, they "have it" on their web-site. Posted Image 

Why? They were in stock at the phone company warehouse's so they COULD have. Maybe :D

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Google Play Store

Google is of course selling the phone direct from from the Google Play store. Both 16 and 32GB options are available in white and black.

The phone will be SIM-free and unlocked. The 16GB version costs £299 whilst the 32GB will set you back £339. An easy way to buy if you're after a SIM-free deal.

Google Play Store

Google is of course selling the phone direct from from the Google Play store. Both 16 and 32GB options are available in white and black.

The phone will be SIM-free and unlocked. The 16GB version costs £299 whilst the 32GB will set you back £339. An easy way to buy if you're after a SIM-free deal.

And off course you cannot buy from the Google Play store for delivery to Thailand.

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

• Like 1

Many people here in Thailand ordered the GNEX 4 from the U.S. Play Store, albeit using a VPN, and then a re-shipper like shipito. Shipito even have a facility in some sales tax-free states, but maybe with a slightly higher fee?

Obviously you'd need a Google Play account, and a valid/acceptable credit card, and an account with shipito.

justfreevpn: http://www.justfreevpn.com/

shipito: http://www.shipito.com/

LG did ultimately localize the GNEX4/16 GB (LG E960) for distribution in Thailand. I think the MSRP started out at 17,900, then dropped to 14,900. It is now down to 12,900, at least it was yesterday when I saw it at a TGFone shop in MBK.

Note this is one year warranty

Who is the warranty agent?

I'd submit that any units available here/now are grey-market imports, are not localized by LG and that LG would not provide warranty service/repair/replacement.

Perhaps the shop provides the warranty? Or maybe you'd return it to the U.S.?

The LG D821 (i.e. localized Google Nexus 5) does show on the LG/Thailand website as "coming soon". http://www.lg.com/th/phone/all-phone

At the few shops in MBK where I asked today, any which had the GNex 5, and many did, they were grey-market imports from the U.S. - purchased in the U.S. by Thais, consolidated and shipped/hand-carried here. The one unit I was able to hold/examine was the North American variant, the D820. It seems like the avg. price was 16,300.

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

Typically DTAC also bundle in significantly discounted services as well, the net savings from which can stretch to 3.600 - 5,400 baht over 18/24 months. But we'll have to wait for something on DTAC's website to see for sure.

I plan to wait a bit to see if people are happy with the GNex 5, and then purchase in the U.S. during a Christmas.New Years trip, where I can get the unit for $385 all in, or about 12,000 baht.

Typically DTAC also bundle in significantly discounted services as well, the net savings from which can stretch to 3.600 - 5,400 baht over 18/24 months. But we'll have to wait for something on DTAC's website to see for sure.

I plan to wait a bit to see if people are happy with the GNex 5, and then purchase in the U.S. during a Christmas.New Years trip, where I can get the unit for $385 all in, or about 12,000 baht.

that might be a bit of a bummer though if DTAC actually get the go ahead for 4g on 1800mhz rolleyes.gif

Hope It will soon be available in Thailand as it offers LTE (4G). Perfect for True's 4G Network and comes at half of the price of the Samsung Galaxy 4.

Would be great if it will be availabe for Sale @True, otherwise I will go anff get one at MBK.

The $349. price is directly from Google. Your not going to get any Thai shop to sell it you for less then $500.

FWIW, looks like TrueMove (H) will also have both the Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 (2013) on/about Nov. 15.

Nexus 5 price 16,900 THB

Nexus 7 price 13,500 THB

https://droidsans.com/truemove-h-sells-nexus-5-7

And i think DTAC will also have the N5 from the 13th November.

http://store.dtac.co.th/en/phones-and-plans/phones#plantype=PAYM&PP_childoption=anadditionmonthlytariff&manufacturer=google

Edited by thaicbr

Battery life issue for me. Would just get the lg g2 32gb for 19900 with 3k bat instead of 2300 and much better cam if prices somewhat close. Would go n5 if can get at us prices tho

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Battery life issue for me. Would just get the lg g2 32gb for 19900 with 3k bat instead of 2300 and much better cam if prices somewhat close. Would go n5 if can get at us prices tho

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And you can get new 2nd hand for 17k :D

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.