Honda. No test drive anymore ?

undercover

Range Rover/ Land Rover had the first Showroom of any make in Jomtien , it closed after a while , every Ferang that went in" Had one Back Home ".Our Company was one of its first Customers. In those days 4WD was engaged daily, you needed it now its only for Clowns who dream its a Range Rover, and have to find somewhere to engage it. like Tescoes Speed Bumps.thumbsup.gif

What year was that, I seem to remember something about Range Rover being down there for a while, but very short lived.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perfect reason not to buy Honda. Had a look at the Jazz a couple of days ago and the interior looked so retro, ugly, cheap, plastic. Walked away without even trying.

The next generation Jazz will be coming out in Thailand soon so if you're still interested in a Jazz you might have another look when the new model arrives. I have had a Jazz for about 3 years now and I think it's a great car.

• Like 1

Range Rover/ Land Rover had the first Showroom of any make in Jomtien , it closed after a while , every Ferang that went in" Had one Back Home ".Our Company was one of its first Customers. In those days 4WD was engaged daily, you needed it now its only for Clowns who dream its a Range Rover, and have to find somewhere to engage it. like Tescoes Speed Bumps.thumbsup.gif

What year was that, I seem to remember something about Range Rover being down there for a while, but very short lived.

19/20 years ago. As you went down the hill it was on the left as you hit beach road.There was only a track off to the right. Not built up much then.

19/20 years ago. As you went down the hill it was on the left as you hit beach road.There was only a track off to the right. Not built up much then.

I have a very faded memory of this Rover place, back then I was still in tourist mode so even as a Rover fan it was not on my must visit list, As the years have gone by given the chance of a look around the Rover shop in Jomptien or a few beers with the girls in soi 6 it would be the Rover shop, how sad is that sad.png

Perfect reason not to buy Honda. Had a look at the Jazz a couple of days ago and the interior looked so retro, ugly, cheap, plastic. Walked away without even trying.

The next generation Jazz will be coming out in Thailand soon so if you're still interested in a Jazz you might have another look when the new model arrives. I have had a Jazz for about 3 years now and I think it's a great car.

the new one promises to be much better too, more power and more economy:)

At one stage I was looking at buying either a Civic or Accord. By chance, I ended up renting a Civic for a week up north. What a disappointment. It was low miles but comfort level felt like something out of the seventies - its suspension felt like that of a ten year old taxi. So maybe when looking to buy a car you've never been in before, a test drive (in the least) is not a bad thing.

They won't lose any sales from not providing test drives to Thais as Thais are not going to buy a new car and then later admit they made a poor choice. That would mean losing face, not going to happen smile.png

Thai's don't buy brands that come with buyer's remorse as a feature either :P

Also bear in mind that you are getting less bangs-for-bucks with a CRV than a MU7, PJS or Fortuner. The CRV is a 5 seater and is taxed as a passenger car, whereas the others mentioned are taxed as passenger pickup vehicles because of the 7 seat configuration. You are paying 15% more in tax on your CRV.

I wonder if Honda Thailand know that this dealership Naklua / Jomtien is refusing test drives ? if so why would Honda agree to it ?

I wouldn't imagine Honda Thailand give a monkey's. The dealerships are independently owned and within reason can do what they want as long as they sell cars, and I don't suppose Honda has any difficulty selling cars, test drive or not.

You say 4wd was engaged daily, suggesting that sometimes it was not; how did you not engage 4wd in the Range/Land Rover? They're full time 4wd, always have been.

For the life of me I do not understand the need to dress up to buy a car.

I am not going to a fashion show or a business meeting.

I go to walk around and find a car , ie dress comfortably .

Sales person thinks "tire kicker "??? I am buying a car worth 10 or so years if his/her salary .

Perhaps if sales people did less thinking, they would make more commissions

You say 4wd was engaged daily, suggesting that sometimes it was not; how did you not engage 4wd in the Range/Land Rover? They're full time 4wd, always have been.

The Evoque is available in 2WD only form. Just sayin' :)

Based on your post, you're looking at cars worth well in excess of 5M Baht - in Thailand, a purchase of that size is definitely considered a business meeting.

The Evoque is available in 2WD only form. Just sayin' smile.png

Who's talking about the Evoque? That wasn't even a twinkle in the LR designer team's eye at the time it established the showroom in Jomtien.

(The Evoque isn't only available in 2wd form, a 4wd version is available also. Just saying.)

Based on your post, you're looking at cars worth well in excess of 5M Baht - in Thailand, a purchase of that size is definitely considered a business meeting.

Do not think it makes any difference what the car is worth. Sales people are there to sell, not to sit on their butts waiting for a buyer in a suit :)

Exactly, when you buy with your own money, you make the rules., even if I come in my shorts and flip-flops to deposit 2 Million into a bank account or buy a nice sports car I doubt they would send me away..

Do not think it makes any difference what the car is worth. Sales people are there to sell, not to sit on their butts waiting for a buyer in a suit smile.png

Also remember the CRV is designed as such. is not a 550K Truck with a Shen N Chairs bolted to it for 1.5Mil.cheesy.gif

Totally agree, and glad you found your own comment so amusing as to leave yourself rolling on the floor laughing (simple things, hey?) - but do try to comprehend the point I was making. It really isn't all that difficult...

Exactly, when you buy with your own money, you make the rules., even if I come in my shorts and flip-flops to deposit 2 Million into a bank account or buy a nice sports car I doubt they would send me away..

Yes, but walk into a Porsche dealership dressed like that and ask for a test drive and see how you go :P

Also when you just stepped out of a brand new S500 parked in front of their door and tell them you're looking something fun to drive in the weekends.. tongue.png srsly..

Yes, but walk into a Porsche dealership dressed like that and ask for a test drive and see how you go tongue.png

Rubbish, they had Diff Locks at first , left it engaged and it clucked it up. , and 2 Doors and no Carpets,or Auto Trans.. I had one , or 4.

Rubbish, they had Diff Locks at first , left it engaged and it clucked it up. , and 2 Doors and no Carpets,or Auto Trans.. I had one , or 4.

Range Rover has always been permanent 4x4, even the pre production 1969 model, the difference was the pre production model had a viscus center diff while production models abandoned the viscus and had a vacuum diff lock. The confusion here may be Land Rover who at that time were using a 2 WD 4 WD gearbox. smile.png

I at last managed to have a test drive in a new 2013 Honda CR-V , before I finally got to take it on the road I had checked out as much as I could on the internet and did several show room visits. I found that over all it fitted my needs and my price range .
While actually test driving the vehicle it soon became apparent that there was in my opinion some excessive road noise , a distinct roar of rubber on tarmac , Sounded like you were sitting in a jet , the sort of road noise sounds that I would not expect to hear while sitting in a 1.4 Million Baht purchase . I asked the sales person who was sitting next to me in the vehicle about the road noise as we drove along , and I had to raise my voice over the road noise to speak to them . Now I know that some times if vehicle tyres have been over inflated it can produce more road noise . I can't see any show room dealership allowing a test vehicle out on the road with over inflated tyres , in fact Ive read of just the opposite where the test drive vehicle had its tyres under inflated to produce a quieter ride.
I did really like what the new CR-V had to offer , but the excessive road noise has now made me re think .

Any suggestions/ comments / advice on this CR-V road noise

I at last managed to have a test drive in a new 2013 Honda CR-V , before I finally got to take it on the road I had checked out as much as I could on the internet and did several show room visits. I found that over all it fitted my needs and my price range .
While actually test driving the vehicle it soon became apparent that there was in my opinion some excessive road noise , a distinct roar of rubber on tarmac , Sounded like you were sitting in a jet , the sort of road noise sounds that I would not expect to hear while sitting in a 1.4 Million Baht purchase . I asked the sales person who was sitting next to me in the vehicle about the road noise as we drove along , and I had to raise my voice over the road noise to speak to them . Now I know that some times if vehicle tyres have been over inflated it can produce more road noise . I can't see any show room dealership allowing a test vehicle out on the road with over inflated tyres , in fact Ive read of just the opposite where the test drive vehicle had its tyres under inflated to produce a quieter ride.
I did really like what the new CR-V had to offer , but the excessive road noise has now made me re think .

Could it have been the road surface ?...

My Wife has a 2013 CRV and I can't say I've noticed excessive road noise from the tires...

On the other hand my car has run-flat tires which on some surfaces are more noisy than others...

Regarding whether or not a showroom will permit a test drive vehicle to go out with over inflated tyres... I think you are giving them a little too much credit, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were over inflated.

Unless you drive the same vehicles with different tyres on the same road you won't

be able to know whether the car is causing the noise or the road surface.

Bear in mind that concrete surfaces create more noise than asphalt/tarmac.

Chances are that you test drove the CVR on concrete as that is a common surface on

Thailands highways hence why the excessive noise.

My Wife has a 2013 CRV and I can't say I've noticed excessive road noise from the tires...

On the other hand my car has run-flat tires which on some surfaces are more noisy than others...

Regarding whether or not a showroom will permit a test drive vehicle to go out with over inflated tyres... I think you are giving them a little too much credit, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were over inflated.

Honda have a Bean Counter Problem Tyre wise. If the CRV comes with Michlin your luckey. Less noise than the Cheapo Good Year and Dunlop one can click for like Me. .Told em to change before delivery and they did , no charge So they know something. I just enjoy the CRV Quality Feel compared to Pimped Trucks.thumbsup.gif

I tend to agree with undercover, paying that sort of money for an every day use vehicle , I would have thought that the manufactures would have seriously though about the noise suppression aspect , even allowing for the wrong tyer pressure and varied road surfaces . Sitting there in your new CR-V loaded with options and accessories and you have to turn the stereo up high to block out the road noise seems like a cruel joke , and having to possibly change the original set of tyers for more suitable less noise generating type seems crazy . blink.png

• Like 1

Honda have a Bean Counter Problem Tyre wise. If the CRV comes with Michlin your luckey. Less noise than the Cheapo Good Year and Dunlop one can click for like Me. .Told em to change before delivery and they did , no charge So they know something. I just enjoy the CRV Quality Feel compared to Pimped Trucks.thumbsup.gif

The comment made here about the CRV coming with different makes of tyre is interesting, I strongly feel this noise problem is tyre related, I did not take note of the make of tyres on the CRV that I drove, I wrongly assumed that they would have tyres on that would not create road noise as the CRV is not a serious off roader and is basically a ( road ) 4x4.

The road I tested on was good condition asphalt so I can not blame the noise on cement.

I will now do some research on what is the quietest tyres to fit on the 2013 CRV and see what comes up as I still feel the CRV would be a vehicle I would be happy with if I can quieten the ride.