Getting to and from Pai

hammered70

AFAIK Kan Air still flies CM to Pai every day around 11 am. Minibus from the Arcade station or Aya near the train station leave often, or taxi from the airport as a last resort.

Please note how dangerous the minibus' are. Do a google search for Aya reviews...bah.gif

• Like 1

Any form of transport be it mini vans ,buses ,private cars ,bikes, trains that fall of the rails carry an element of danger but look at the number that are on the roads.

How many vans going back and forth to Pai have crashed. I cant remember one and we have used them many times in the last 5 years

Always take from the CM Bus Arcade, which I believe is not AYA.

Any form of transport around Thailand carries an element of risk be it mini vans ,buses, bikes,private cars and of course trains that seem to have a problem staying on the tracks.

But when you equate accidents to the number of people on the road I have never considered it excessive.

We have been to Pai many times using mini vans and the mini buses which now seem to have been discontinued.

We use the vans from the CM Bus Arcade which I believe are not AYA but I cant remember in the last 5 years any major accidents.

I mean a new Laos Airlines plane went down in the Mekong a couple of weeks ago with no survivors but would it stop you flying ?

• Like 1

It's not the mini van that is dangerous, it's any Thai driver.

That probably goes for airline pilots as well, but I think they may have a high school graduation requirement, not sure.

Also has to do with maintenance of vehicles and not being smart or educated enough to care for them properly.

Any form of transport around Thailand carries an element of risk be it mini vans ,buses, bikes,private cars and of course trains that seem to have a problem staying on the tracks.

But when you equate accidents to the number of people on the road I have never considered it excessive.

We have been to Pai many times using mini vans and the mini buses which now seem to have been discontinued.

We use the vans from the CM Bus Arcade which I believe are not AYA but I cant remember in the last 5 years any major accidents.

I mean a new Laos Airlines plane went down in the Mekong a couple of weeks ago with no survivors but would it stop you flying ?

Accidents are not the only issue, although they drive it like they just stole the thing.

I don't know the forum rules on defaming so i won't go into too much detail. On my recent trip with AYA our driver assaulted 2 of the passenges and made threats with a firearm, which he had in his bag... After the police got involved we were given a new driver who continued to shout and swear at passengers and also assaulted an elderly passenger during a rest break, although it was only a slap.

Read the reviews online about them.....

• Like 1

Actually a newer bus went off a curve last year killing several people. The wreck might still be at the Pai police station. Flying is definitely the best bet especially if you can walk or rent a bike in Pai. Dec-Jan the road will be packed in both directions (as will be all of downtown Pai) and you can expect to take 4 hours by road unless you are a skilled and lucky moto rider.

Just come back from Pai and used the mini bus service direct from the bus station which is far more superior to AYA service.

Used them last year too without any issues.

3 hours and 150 bahts plus you can choose your seat number which is a real bonus so you can sit at the front which is far more comfortable than the back

• Like 1

I have just drive that route today and the road is in a poor condition, with patches of very rough ground especially between the Pong Dueat turn off and the check point at the top of the hill before getting to Pai. In one area they are resurfacing a short stretch road. Be careful!