One man's fight to save Phuket from mafia and foreign criminals

webfact

A noble attempt, but smacks of Don Quixote tilting at windmills.

I think like Nero fiddling, as Rome burned. smile.pngsmile.png

Look at all the press releases lately about how they are making Phuket safer and meeting with the jet-ski operators etc etc etc etc - blah blah blah.

It all means nothing whilst there in no affordable public transport here, and whilst Phuket continues to outprice itself against other destinations in Thailand, and neighbouring countries.

There is plenty of affordable public transport in Phuket....for tourists it is really cheap along with the booze and women.

Sure there is, that's why they all hire motorbikes, or stay walking distance to the beach, shopping and nightlife.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

IF the government is corrupt , police are corrupt , this must be the priority to change first ...wai2.gif

If thais don't obey laws , even simple ones then you will always have foreign criminals .

The guy is clearly delusional .. or been put up to this by the mafia or police , trying to convince the tourists blink.png

they are safe and its a safe place to holiday ...

I thought it was the authorities' responsibility to wipe out the mafia low life waste of oxygen scum.

Oh, wait a sec....

sent from my hippo phone

But, you are assuming the authorities have authority. They do not. The law prevents them from having authority. Even if they wanted to use their "authority" to prevent crime and clean up this crime infested island, they could not. Why? Because the police are compromised. Because the judiciary is compromised. Even when the blue moon arises, and someone is arrested, they are let off by the impotent judges, who give them a 1,000 baht fine, or a suspended sentence, or in the rare case of a conviction, a suspended sentence. So, the Thai authorities have no teeth. The system ensures that. Nobody is afraid of them. The punk thug crime bosses all know they are immune, especially if they have cash. So, what is the solution. Dismantle the present structure, from the bottom up. Will that ever happen? One can only be hopeful. The bottom line is that this guy is a hero, no matter how you look at it. How much courage does it take to stand up and say "nothing is working, and I need to do something"?

Yes, the authorities are corrupt. All of them.

It's hardly likely that this knight in shining armour is going to make any difference whatsoever.

The more interesting questions are what is his motive for his stand against corruption and how much influence does he have?

It's Thailand, where a buck is a buck is a buck. Where they come from and how they come about are - largely - irrelevant.

sent from my hippo phone

"Phuket is now a world-class, seaside resort playground for foreign and domestic tourists and expatriates"

What ....?! Not the Phuket that I've been to...!!

I'm sure there will be some, "I bet you only went to Patong" replies to your post. smile.pngsmile.png

Its quite obvious you guys only been to Patong. There are some gated resorts where the general public can not freely enter. There is also a world class marina with some really expensive boats, again all food is ordered in and not all are invited. He hangs out there but the Patong crowd does not.

Spending your whole holiday in a "gated resort" - now that is truly a "world class" tourist destination. :) :)

Some folks just don't want to mingle with what Phuket is famous for. If I had my own Yaht, and could afford to have my caviar delivered to my luxury sea side villa, why would i want to wonder among drunks, husslers, scammers and other undesirables?

Why not just park your (yaht) in your backyard then? You must be one of the Quality....... another poster was mentioning.

Edit: oh sorry! I now see your name. Yep; definitely one of the Quality folk that Thailand needs

Edited by Commander Tamson

Judging by the stories that are permanently coming out of that hole, along with the 'quality tourists' it now attracts (not to mention the ex-pats living there - JOKE <deleted>) and the fact that maybe millions of would be tourists keep away cos they've fell victim there before, I would say it's already destroyed. It's not just the criminal element down there too, the locals also seem to be hypnotised by the green stuff!

We know it's already destroyed, but don't tell the Russians, Chinese and Indians. smile.pngsmile.png

As I said, 'quality tourists' for a 'quality' place

Be interesting to hear your explanation of what a quality tourist is.

Care to share so we can all look down on the one's who you look down on.

Did you ever stop to think that if the "Maybe millions" were to come to Phuket they would have to build hotels like the ones in Japan where you just have room to sleep in them.

I thought it was the authorities' responsibility to wipe out the mafia low life waste of oxygen scum.

Oh, wait a sec....

sent from my hippo phone

But, you are assuming the authorities have authority. They do not. The law prevents them from having authority. Even if they wanted to use their "authority" to prevent crime and clean up this crime infested island, they could not. Why? Because the police are compromised. Because the judiciary is compromised. Even when the blue moon arises, and someone is arrested, they are let off by the impotent judges, who give them a 1,000 baht fine, or a suspended sentence, or in the rare case of a conviction, a suspended sentence. So, the Thai authorities have no teeth. The system ensures that. Nobody is afraid of them. The punk thug crime bosses all know they are immune, especially if they have cash. So, what is the solution. Dismantle the present structure, from the bottom up. Will that ever happen? One can only be hopeful. The bottom line is that this guy is a hero, no matter how you look at it. How much courage does it take to stand up and say "nothing is working, and I need to do something"?

It's hardly likely that this knight in shining armour is going to make any difference whatsoever.

The more interesting questions are what is his motive for his stand against corruption and how much influence does he have?

It's Thailand, where a buck is a buck is a buck. Where they come from and how they come about are - largely - irrelevant.

sent from my hippo phone

You have proof of this? That is a lot of people to condemn out of hand.

Real big backer in the effort of others to fight corruption aren't you? Do you figure that no one should try?

Ya that makes a big difference the first thing that comes to every ones mind. Why not how or good luck just why. Are you doing some thing you don't want to have looked at to closely?

You just got done asking irrelevant questions.

sent from my hippo phone

Sent from my desk top HP computer.

Oh, wait a sec....

sent from my hippo phone

sent from my hippo phone

You have proof of this? That is a lot of people to condemn out of hand.

Real big backer in the effort of others to fight corruption aren't you? Do you figure that no one should try?

Ya that makes a big difference the first thing that comes to every ones mind. Why not how or good luck just why. Are you doing some thing you don't want to have looked at to closely?

You just got done asking irrelevant questions.

sent from my hippo phone

Sent from my desk top HP computer.

All very valid points and questions. But, the essential part is that he is doing something. To be entirely skeptical of that, is to have the attitude a lot of Thai people have, which is one of resignation. That is not what is going to produce change, and progress. Much change is needed if Thailand is going to lift itself out of this self imposed morass, and move on to better things. Hopefully one day we will all be able "do you remember how corrupt Thailand used to be"? Do you remember what it was like before they jailed the corruption mongers? Do you remember what it was like before the judges grew some cajones?

What a crock.

"Phuket is now a world-class, seaside resort playground for foreign and domestic tourists and expatriates." Dream on sunshine.

"In a recent informal meeting with Mr Chart in Phuket, the operators said some state officials connected to tourism employ mafia groups to regularly collect "tea money" from owners of nightlife venues in exchange for allowing them to stay open after 2am. Sometimes the officials come and pick up the money themselves. Mr Chart said he met the operators to hear about their problems and expectations."

So the operators are complaining that they have to fork out to break the law, ignoring the fact that by paying bribes is against the law, thus exacerbating their own criminality by remaining open after hours.

All a bit Pythonesque don't you think?

May he has seen the light and is thinking that Phuket is going down the tubes, which would of course do no good.to his own businesses. An element of self interest there maybe.

Unfortunately it is not that simple...........the tea money is not just collected from bars that want to stay open longer than the official time, but from any bar or business operating in Patong.

If they don't pay the tea money then staff and customers are harassed by the BIB until the girls leave (or won't work there any more) and therefore the customers don't come. Believe me I have seen this first-hand.

Edited by xylophone

Some folks just don't want to mingle with what Phuket is famous for. If I had my own Yaht, and could afford to have my caviar delivered to my luxury sea side villa, why would i want to wonder among drunks, husslers, scammers and other undesirables?

If you had the kind of money that would allow you to engage in those sorts of activities, why would you even think of coming to Phuket, as opposed to somewhere like Monaco? As the great Arthur Daley used to say, "the world is your lobster my son"...!!

If you had the kind of money that would allow you to engage in those sorts of activities, why would you even think of coming to Phuket, as opposed to somewhere like Monaco? As the great Arthur Daley used to say, "the world is your lobster my son"...!!

Dont know. I dont have that kind of money. There may be some perks or they just may be the "hipsters" of the 1%.

All i know is that there are world class, super elite ports, resorts and clubs in Phuket. So perhaps the whistle blower wants to create an environment where those people would feel safe to venture out of the gated communities.