mazda cx5 which one to buy ?

thaiscot

i was also hooked on the mazda cx5 despite owning a lagging mazda 3 previously but luckily the waiting time to actually get a cx5 put me off so I found a cheaper bmw 320d 2nd hand while I would also recommend the X1 diesel if wanting a superior compact suv wink.png

now that is driving pleasure while mazda is well...better than toyata honda ford but still...umm a tad boring smile.png

obviously the suv especially the 19" wheels will give a quite comfortable ride in most places in LOS and a powerful ride too as long as the 2.2d is proving reliable? i personally like the grey and silver colors but must admit the blue is kinda nice too smile.png

both the cx5 and the new mazda 3 has this kinda xfactor look that puzzles you for a moment whether its a bmw or some other fancy car before realising its the new mazdas ;)

Edited by worldfun

• 2 weeks later...

Tramsrepus, when are you collecting your white pony? My dealer told me white CX-5 will be delivered this month. My silver pony will be delivered in Jun after 4 month's wait.

CX-51 cost about the same in my country as it does here for the top trim. A Suzuki Grand Vitara, Kia Sorento or Hyundai Tuscon cost much less than a CX-5 back home. And IMO the CX-5 interior feels much more premium then the others. So as long as nothing better shows up on the Thai market i will be happy with my choice. I have 4 month to change my mind though before the CX-5 gets delivered.tongue.png

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Tramsrepus, when are you collecting your white pony? My dealer told me white CX-5 will be delivered this month. My silver pony will be delivered in Jun after 4 month's wait.

CX-51 cost about the same in my country as it does here for the top trim. A Suzuki Grand Vitara, Kia Sorento or Hyundai Tuscon cost much less than a CX-5 back home. And IMO the CX-5 interior feels much more premium then the others. So as long as nothing better shows up on the Thai market i will be happy with my choice. I have 4 month to change my mind though before the CX-5 gets delivered.tongue.png

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nothing yet. I have been in China for the last 3 weeks so they may have called me in Thailand.... Im so busy with new customer with job in China for the rest of this year so im thinking about to drop it, or atleast keep my place queue till the end of the year or buying a nicer car. Otherwise the car will just be collecting dust in the garage for the next 7 month. We will see how i do.

Edited by TramsRepus

Big dilemma. My Mazda CX-5 is ready for delivery today. But I'm thinking about to postpone it to the end of this year or even choose another more premium car as I will not have time to use it now. Should I go and get it an keep it in the garage for 6-7month or buy it/other car later when time for it?

Big dilemma. My Mazda CX-5 is ready for delivery today. But I'm thinking about to postpone it to the end of this year or even choose another more premium car as I will not have time to use it now. Should I go and get it an keep it in the garage for 6-7month or buy it/other car later when time for it?

It sounds like you want to wait and see what other choices you have at the end of the year. That's what I would do!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well had my 2.2 diesel for 3 months now and i couldnt be happier, plenty of power & i like all the toys and equipment it has , 1 small gripe would be always having to connect the bluetooth on my phone everytime you get in the car (it dosent connect automatically ), other than that very happy

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After waiting almost 5 months, I went to collect my CX-5 today. But there were dents and scratches on the car which could not be removed. The Sales acknowledged but said it is like this. They offer another car of different colour but have to wait

So now I am stranded with no car.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

After waiting almost 5 months, I went to collect my CX-5 today. But there were dents and scratches on the car which could not be removed. The Sales acknowledged but said it is like this. They offer another car of different colour but have to wait

So now I am stranded with no car.

I would be talking to Mazda head office to sort a replacement ASAP.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

^Wow, totally unacceptable, and not at all what I would expect from Mazda. Must be a bad dealer to try to pawn off that car to you.

yes. I suspect that too. When i wanted to take back my deposit, the Supervisor came out and apologise and loan us a Mazda 2 while he tries to source for another car. Said he will call on monday to update.

And to share another unrelated thing, to withdraw more than 20000 bath per day from bank, you will need the pass book. Showing up in person us no use.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

^Wow, totally unacceptable, and not at all what I would expect from Mazda. Must be a bad dealer to try to pawn off that car to you.

yes. I suspect that too. When i wanted to take back my deposit, the Supervisor came out and apologise and loan us a Mazda 2 while he tries to source for another car. Said he will call on monday to update.

And to share another unrelated thing, to withdraw more than 20000 bath per day from bank, you will need the pass book. Showing up in person us no use.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

i bought my cx5 2.2 diesel from mahidhol road dealer in chiang mai and have been more than happy with the car and especially with the dealership who have been excellent , so maybe you just got a bad dealer

• Like 1

decided that enough was enough and decided to quit the purchase of my CX-5, after two empty promises of delivery (last friday and today) with no clear delivery date in sight (wait a few more days they said) and waiting 5 months plus . Will be travelling to Bangkok to continue my hunt....sad that the shop does not want my business.bah.gif

• Like 1

Ok, I have gone to Bangkok and bought a used BMW X1 Diesel from Millennium Auto. It has BSI till end 2017 and is 150, 000 baht more than the CX-5 Diesel. Guess I will not be looking at cars for a few more years till I am sick of my X1. Enough ranting....

Ok, I have gone to Bangkok and bought a used BMW X1 Diesel from Millennium Auto. It has BSI till end 2017 and is 150, 000 baht more than the CX-5 Diesel. Guess I will not be looking at cars for a few more years till I am sick of my X1. Enough ranting....

Well Done!

X1 is vaguely on my shopping list so you can still tell us in a few months time how you find it

Is the X1 two or four wheel drive?

• 1 month later...

Just one question regarding the navigation system. Singapore, Malaysia, Australia and all over the world except Thailand - Mazda CX 5 topend comes with the buildt -in MFD Navigation system of TomTom NB 1. For a car like the CX5 2.2 l AWD Diesel - THB 1.670.000,-- I thought it should be in - no! Now I try to find out - is it possible to buy the system and install it? - my Mazda dealer in Thailand says...no have!angry.png

Do you have any info?

Just one question regarding the navigation system. Singapore, Malaysia, Australia and all over the world except Thailand - Mazda CX 5 topend comes with the buildt -in MFD Navigation system of TomTom NB 1. For a car like the CX5 2.2 l AWD Diesel - THB 1.670.000,-- I thought it should be in - no! Now I try to find out - is it possible to buy the system and install it? - my Mazda dealer in Thailand says...no have!angry.png

Do you have any info?

go for a portable such as Garmin - very convenient and only about 5k THB

Use google map. Free.

I think it is possible to install the hardware GPS from Tom Tom and program the ECU to recognise the GPS. The integrated GPS will do Dead Reckoning based on vehicle speed and wheel turn angle when GPS signals are lost, unlike standalone GPS. But i susoect that there is No thai map for Tom Tom.

Edited by tua2kee

I like the looks of the CRV but the cheap plastic interior is a total turn off for me. The CRV with the Accords interior and I would love it. IMO cx-5 has a much more refined and premium interior. If the 0-100 on 7.5s is correct, I will be more than happy with it. I have found one 2.5 in stock ready for delivery. But it is manufactured 2013. Will same car manufactured this year have any new features like 7 inch screen etc.

I was comparing both as well I thought the CX-5 had more cheap plastic feel to it when comparing similar models in the line up. the cx-5 plastic are like ones found in pickup trucks and generally felt thinner. Dials and knobs felt cheap also, as a matter of act looked like an interior from a pick up with minor changes.

I prefer the look of the CX-5 from outside, but felt was not good value for the money.

• 4 months later...

I’m looking to change and was thinking about the CRV, however a friend has recently bought the CX-5 2.2L Diesel and rates it … in the past he has always had CRVs.

So I looked at a CX-5 a few days ago, turned down a test drive then and said after New Year … they have already called back asking if I liked what I saw.

So who has recently bought the diesel and has anyone bought the larger petrol engine. I read that the diesel fuel consumption is somewhat less than the suggested 18Km/ltr.

They have now sorted the problem with the CAT? No more diesel in the engine oil?

Like the CRV, the 4WD appears only to cut in when driving in mud or loose surfaces etc … I don’t see much advantage if you don’t intend going a little off road. I have in nearly three years only once really needed 4WD and that was going through a mud slide in Lao. Okay, useful in heavy rain if it’s proper 4WD.

I will probably wait until the Motor Show anyway, unless I can negotiate a good deal … I’m not desperate to change. So any recent experiences will be much appreciated ........ thanks

I bought the gas model with the larger engine and now have 10 k on it and over all not happy with the car

It is very noisy , the front shocks bag every time I go over a bump , the dash rattles constantly , there was a lose bolt that rattles around when I turn corners ( the dealer was at least able to fix that ) the black exterior trim is already fading for some reason , other then that it is alright

The one thing that I do like is the way the car corners when on the highway ,other then that I wish I would have waited and bought a Subaru

That's sad and surprising to hear. Though I've been here a long time, and though I own several Thai-built cars, it never ceases to amaze and dismay me how little $50 thousand dollars buys in Thailand.

• 1 month later...

I bought the gas model with the larger engine and now have 10 k on it and over all not happy with the car

It is very noisy , the front shocks bag every time I go over a bump , the dash rattles constantly , there was a lose bolt that rattles around when I turn corners ( the dealer was at least able to fix that ) the black exterior trim is already fading for some reason , other then that it is alright

The one thing that I do like is the way the car corners when on the highway ,other then that I wish I would have waited and bought a Subaru

Thanks for the candid review. My personal experience is to take the piblished fuel consumption figures with a pinch if salt for Japanese and Korean made cars. The figures are usually not achoeveable under real world conditions.