mazda cx5 which one to buy ?

thaiscot

I like the looks of the CRV but the cheap plastic interior is a total turn off for me. The CRV with the Accords interior and I would love it. IMO cx-5 has a much more refined and premium interior. If the 0-100 on 7.5s is correct, I will be more than happy with it. I have found one 2.5 in stock ready for delivery. But it is manufactured 2013. Will same car manufactured this year have any new features like 7 inch screen etc.

The Blue one,what a gungey colour i sat in, along with black interior, expected a corpse to rise in the rear, bet a white one looks less dead. I remain biased to Honda, Boring , Yes , but reliable , and thats what matters, no one notices what U drive after a week. Well . erm , no one that Matters .!!.biggrin.png

Test drove the diesel today and got very impressed. Wonderful acceleration from 50-120kmh. 5 month delivery time though. So now my question: will the 2.5l gasoline have less push than the diesel from 50-120kmh due to its less torque?

This is a guess but I think the 2.5 will accelerate better unladen. Where you will see a difference is when you load it with 5 adults and all their luggage and go on a holiday. You won't even notice it in the diesel. The lower torque of the petrol motor will be come evident. I don't often drive diesels (drove the bil's pajero sport loaded up last week), but they really give a nice punch. Not sure about the 2.5 petrol motor though. Get a drive of it if you can.

This is what they offer me

Translation from Google.

Anyone here who can come up with a better translation?

One. Uninsured first class
Two. Act
Three. Films 3M round
Four. Tray trunk
Five. Carpet flooring
6th. Rubber flooring
7 framework. Plates
Eight. Coupons free labor duration three times.
9th. Glaze
10th. Teddy bear large MAZDA.
11th. Pillow MAZDA SMILE
12th. Discounts on Parts 10%.
13th. Discounts wages 10%

1.ประกันภัยชั้น1
2.พ.ร.บ.
3.ฟิล์ม3M รอบคัน
4.ถาดท้ายรถ
5.พรมปูพื้น
6.ผ้ายางปูพื้น
7.กรอบป้ายทะเบียน
8.คูปองฟรีค่าแรงเช็คระยะ3ครั้ง
9.เคลือบสี
10.ตุ๊กตาหมีตัวใหญ่MAZDA
11.หมอนMAZDA SMILE
12.ส่วนลดค่าอะไหล่10%
13.ส่วนลดค่าแรง10%

Edited by TramsRepus

The CX-5 2.5 benzine low end acceleration is mild, othing to shout about. I tried it from 0 to 80km/hr. Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Agreed,

I was expecting better performance than the accord or crv 2.4 and i just didnt feel it. the cx5 2.5l (they didnt have a 2l for me to try) just didnt feel spritely and fast from a stop. It had decent enough midrange but was just acceptable. I have yet to try a diesel but given its premium and dpf issues id be leaning towards the uprated 165hp 2.0s model if i could live with the acceleration, especially because I travel solo 80 percent of the time I drive. The 2.5l with awd would be a more convincing proposition given id be changing the 19" rims and bose speakers for aftermarket anyways.

The CX-5 2.5 benzine low end acceleration is mild, othing to shout about. I tried it from 0 to 80km/hr. Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Agreed,

I was expecting better performance than the accord or crv 2.4 and i just didnt feel it. the cx5 2.5l (they didnt have a 2l for me to try) just didnt feel spritely and fast from a stop. It had decent enough midrange but was just acceptable. I have yet to try a diesel but given its premium and dpf issues id be leaning towards the uprated 165hp 2.0s model if i could live with the acceleration, especially because I travel solo 80 percent of the time I drive. The 2.5l with awd would be a more convincing proposition given id be changing the 19" rims and bose speakers for aftermarket anyways.

Hmmm... I was just about to paying the deposit for a 2.5L and tell them to prepare it till 24th Jan when im entering back to Thailand.. It seams that i have to test drive the 2.5 gasoline before making the final decision. But no one nearby and i'm flying out tomorrow.

Not normal. Try another dealer?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But he seam to be the only one with a 2.5L in stock... But i'm leaning towards a diesel anyway after reading this thread about how bland the 2.5 is, especially without have driven it my self.

Im trying to get me an idea about the performance between the 2.5 petrol and 2.2 diesel by using a stopwatch measuring acceleration times on YouTube.

Some does not mentions if it is an AWD or FWD and the values are so speade out so it is difficult to make any conclusions.

Anyway here are some few time 0-100kmh and 70-120kmh (speedometer)

2.2 AWD

0-100kmh - 8.1s

70-120kmh - 6.4s

2.2 175hp ?WD

0-100kmh - 7.3s

70-120kmh - 6.9s

2.5 ?WD

0-100kmh - 7.5s

70-120kmh - 6.3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7aBh95zDro

2.5 ?WD

0-100kmh - 8.1s

(70-110kmh - 5.2s)

2.2 ?WD

0-100kmh - 7.6s

70-120kmh - 6.1s

2.5 ?WD

0-100kmh - 9.2s

70-120kmh - 7.4s

Mr Repus, the standard Diesel has a slightly lower power to weight ratio than the 2.5L petrol so the max acceleration of the petrol versions will be similar or better when the foot is down and the engine is close to max revs.

It's just a suggestion, but perhaps you are taking the 0 - 100 km/h time a little too seriously. For a car like the CX-5, mid range performance is as important as max acceleration. Most of the time, driving around with the engine at around 2,000 rpm, the Diesel has twice the torque and power available compared to the petrol. The diesel's weight and gearing are slightly higher but the petrol car would need to down shift a gear or two for similar acceleration. Down shifting and revving is fine in a sports car but in something like the CX-5 it can make the car feel gutless in comparison, especially for drivers accustomed to bigger engines, (rare in LOS). You will really only know by driving the two models.

The upshot is the 2.5L is a good alternative if:

- you don't mind using the transmission and some revs to accelerate.

- 230,000 baht purchase cost saving is preferred to ~0.8 baht/km extra fuel cost.

- AWD is not needed or wanted.

- Use with hot engine likely to be insufficient for DPF regen.

- aftermarket chip tuning not wanted.

Good luck with which ever model you choose.

Edited by Jitar
  • Like 2

Mr Repus, the standard Diesel has a slightly lower power to weight ratio than the 2.5L petrol so the max acceleration of the petrol versions will be similar or better when the foot is down and the engine is close to max revs.

It's just a suggestion, but perhaps you are taking the 0 - 100 km/h time a little too seriously. For a car like the CX-5, mid range performance is as important as max acceleration. Most of the time, driving around with the engine at around 2,000 rpm, the Diesel has twice the torque and power available compared to the petrol. The diesel's weight and gearing are slightly higher but the petrol car would need to down shift a gear or two for similar acceleration. Down shifting and revving is fine in a sports car but in something like the CX-5 it can make the car feel gutless in comparison, especially for drivers accustomed to bigger engines, (rare in LOS). You will really only know by driving the two models.

- 230,000 baht purchase cost saving is preferred to ~0.8 baht/km extra fuel cost.

Mr. Jitar.

Thanks for your input. Yes you are right that i might take the acceleration 0-100 too seriously. I actually want a smaller fun turbo car to chip and tune (VW Scirocco, Toyota GT86 w turbo kit, Volvo V40 etc), but realized it might not be the best choice given road conditions, floodings etc. I test drove the CX diesel and i really liked it and it had a nice overtaking acceleration and was fun to drive. I have yet to test drive the 2.5 as I'm on a job abroad this month and will test it when coming back. I had hope to get my self a car now when back again end of this month and enjoy it for the 2 weeks holiday i have then.

yes, 230K could be put on other fun toys.

No need AWD, it just adds dead weight and frictions.

I will mostly be driving short distances so the DPF might cause me problems.

YES...After market TUNING would be nice. wub.png

I hate the thought about to have to wait 3-5 month for the car.... The 2.5 is available for delivery right now. But it might be a boring car sad.png

Mr. Jitar.

Thanks for your input. Yes you are right that i might take the acceleration 0-100 too seriously. I actually want a smaller fun turbo car to chip and tune (VW Scirocco, Toyota GT86 w turbo kit, Volvo V40 etc), but realized it might not be the best choice given road conditions, floodings etc. I test drove the CX diesel and i really liked it and it had a nice overtaking acceleration and was fun to drive. I have yet to test drive the 2.5 as I'm on a job abroad this month and will test it when coming back. I had hope to get my self a car now when back again end of this month and enjoy it for the 2 weeks holiday i have then.

yes, 230K could be put on other fun toys.

No need AWD, it just adds dead weight and frictions.

I will mostly be driving short distances so the DPF might cause me problems.

YES...After market TUNING would be nice. wub.png

I hate the thought about to have to wait 3-5 month for the car.... The 2.5 is available for delivery right now. But it might be a boring car sad.png

Hi TransRemus,

Haven't tried both, but am pretty convinced that the Diesel would be the more powerful option. Prior to my Golf GTI I had the Ford Focus TDCI with a 2.0 Diesel rated at only 136hp. Compared to a petrol 2.0 it was flying, lots of power from 2,000-4,000 rpm, where you need it. Fantastic on little hills.

Yes, my GTI is faster, but the torque of the TDCI went uphill very well. The issue quite often is that with the automatic transmissions they do change gears very early up (to save fuel of course) but this puts the petrol versions quite often out of their most powerful range and you would really have to keep your foot down, as strong powers comes later in the rev band. The diesel has more accessible power, from lower range but nothing much top end.

Thing is if you look at the CX5 as a fun car option and don't need 4WD....not sure with the price you would not be better off with the Volvo V40. or if you want to have still fun but lower budget, the Skoda VRS, saw special price of the Motor Expo from Dec at 1.39m. I tested it and it wasn't in the league of my GTI. Good space and 4 doors too.....if you can live with brand!

I understand roads are not great here, but i have yet to have suspension problems on my cars after 20 years. Just look out for those potholes and i guess you will be fine. Flooding: well most cars won't make it whatever....not that much difference between a regular sedan and the CX5 there or?

Soda Octavia VRS uses the same engine and gearbox as the GTI. Handling wise, it is a stiff ride which can handle corners well.

Do you still have the contact for the quick. 1.3mil baht VRS?

Soda Octavia VRS uses the same engine and gearbox as the GTI. Handling wise, it is a stiff ride which can handle corners well.

Do you still have the contact for the quick. 1.3mil baht VRS?

I guess I missed a detail: it is the Skoda Fabia vRS i am talking about, the Octavia vRS is not available here. And the deal was offered by Skoda Thailand directly.