Can anyone report on these bikes?

OmegaRacer

I'm looking for a small bike for short city rides. Something fun, cheap and low tech.

I'm undecided between 3 pretty different bikes that all appeal to me for different reasons.

1) First is the Suzuki A100. Would love to get one and make a project bike out of it. I see something like an aluminium art nuveau/art deco custom cafe racer. Sounds crazy and it probably is :-)

2) Next, is the Yamaha DT100, a small enduro. Can't see much customization possibilities, but looks like a classic fun bike.

3) Finally, and completely different, is the GPX Thunder X 125, a new bike, made in China, assembled in Thailand. I've seen it at a dealer and it looks the part. Nice aluminium alloy swingarm and triple tree, usd forks...taller than a KSR...just a nice little hooligan bike hehe

As I haven't had the chance to test ride any of them, I was wondering if anyone here has, owns one or has some useful info he'd like to share.

1 and 2 can be had with green book for around 15k-20k, while the GPX sells new for 48.500Baht.

post-159090-0-12401000-1383493644_thumb.

post-159090-0-73916500-1383493689_thumb.

post-159090-0-45442000-1383493709_thumb.

post-159090-0-26573200-1383493728_thumb.

That DT100 really looks great, but I like the look of these old bikes, the Chinese bike is okay if you are 15 years old. If not you may look a bit of a pillock when you see your reflection in a shop window.

I must admit I am quite tempted myself as the Wave is a little small for me, frame wise, should be great in the traffic and there are lots of green lanes around here.

Edited by AllanB
  • Like 1

I would choose one of the 2 stroke bikes, no real life experience with those bikes but i still spot them every now and then, so parts are still out there.

The GPX is ( like Allen B said more something for a 15 year old)

The DT is a nice classic dirt bike, when you find a good original one leave it as it is,I agree the suzuki A100 will look good as a cafe racer.

For inpiration a picture of my TZR 150 cafe racer which i build as a low budget project 1,5 year ago for just a few thousend baht.

Fun to ride and i'm getting stared at every time i'm riding it.

But an aircooled engine like on the Suzuki looks "cleaner"

If i'm going to build another 2 stroke Cafe racer i would choose an old Kawasaki GTO

post-143096-0-15797700-1383535188_thumb.

• Like 2

Ever thought of going even simpler and converting a Wave, say 125cc? There is a guy in the local village who does a dirt bike conversion. His are a bit shoddy finish wise, but the bits seem to be available, so with a little care you could have something Wave reliable and that looks good to.

Just another option, which may work better in the city, being a four stroke.

Ever thought of going even simpler and converting a Wave, say 125cc? There is a guy in the local village who does a dirt bike conversion. His are a bit shoddy finish wise, but the bits seem to be available, so with a little care you could have something Wave reliable and that looks good to.

I just saw a Sonic in the classifieds somewhere. It was converted to a MX and looked pretty good, but not quite the direction I'd like to go.

On the other hand, there are those old Honda C70 and C90, converted to old skool choppers/bobbers that I find quite appealing.post-159090-0-16391500-1383542197_thumb.

I just saw a Sonic in the classifieds somewhere. It was converted to a MX and looked pretty good, but not quite the direction I'd like to go.

On the other hand, there are those old Honda C70 and C90, converted to old skool choppers/bobbers that I find quite appealing.attachicon.gifgth-typerfactory-cub.jpg

post-103189-0-84388400-1383542498_thumb.

Something like this

If you want a off-road or supermotart style motorcycle I wonder why you not look at Lifan or Zongshen. Both manufacturers offer motorcycles in the same price class as the GPX but with more power.

For both the Suzuki A100 and the Yamaha DT100 parts are your biggest problem, both Suzuki and Yamaha Thailand do not have parts for this bikes available. They are over 35 years old, so you cannot really blame them for not having parts anymore...

For the Yamaha DT125 you can still find parts, but the majority of engine parts are not compatible with the Yamaha DT100.

I have a GPX ZF250 Enduro, at the moment it has some problems as a 12 wheel Thai truck run over it... But I was extremely happy with it for off-road weekend fun...

If you want a off-road or supermotart style motorcycle I wonder why you not look at Lifan or Zongshen. Both manufacturers offer motorcycles in the same price class as the GPX but with more power.

For both the Suzuki A100 and the Yamaha DT100 parts are your biggest problem, both Suzuki and Yamaha Thailand do not have parts for this bikes available. They are over 35 years old, so you cannot really blame them for not having parts anymore...

For the Yamaha DT125 you can still find parts, but the majority of engine parts are not compatible with the Yamaha DT100.

I have a GPX ZF250 Enduro, at the moment it has some problems as a 12 wheel Thai truck run over it... But I was extremely happy with it for off-road weekend fun...

Actually you are dead right, I have just bought a 30 year old Honda NV400 Custom, which I have done quite a lot of work on. Luckily my bike shares a lot of parts with the popular Steed, so parts are generally okay, but there are differences, in which case I have to go to Japan or the west, make it myself, or just get lucky.

I know the Yamaha was widely sold in the UK, but it means importing everything.

Actually you are dead right, I have just bought a 30 year old Honda NV400 Custom, which I have done quite a lot of work on. Luckily my bike shares a lot of parts with the popular Steed, so parts are generally okay, but there are differences, in which case I have to go to Japan or the west, make it myself, or just get lucky.

I know the Yamaha was widely sold in the UK, but it means importing everything.

I would love to have a Suzuki A100 in good condition which I will restore to be as new... but I would probably only ride it on very special occasions, for most of the time it will be in prominent location in my companies showroom...

The Yamaha DT100 has for me no emotional value so .... its just a old bike...

You mean the Lifan X-plore 200cc, right? What's the price on that one?

http://www.lifanthailand.com/product-and-service.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_new.tpl&product_id=146&category_id=11

Yes, Never use a classic for everyday transport, unless you have an understanding boss/wife.

Why not?

I use my Yamaha SR everyday to go to work...never got any hassle from any of them.

It's really hard to decide which bike....maybe I should just get the A100 for wrenching pleasures and a small motard for the crazy days...

Hey Richard...on an old thread I saw a very nice Lifan 250 I believe...GY-7. It looked nicer than the 200 model, had aluminium swingarm and USD forks. What happened to that? Is it for sale now?

The Lifan LF250GY-7 was never official introduced for Thailand, I personally have one in our warehouse which we was used for environmental (exhaust emission.. etc) testing in Thailand. Lifan has been very busy for the less year and had to redirect its focus a bit to 4-wheels, but we can expect for 2014 a few new products.

Sadly the Lifan LF250GY-7 would probably not be a product that will make its introduction in 2014, but maybe one of its new, more modern, siblings probably makes a good chance to be made and sold in Thailand.

Any idea of current prices on the GPX ZF250 Enduro? Looks okay

Any idea of current prices on the GPX ZF250 Enduro? Looks okay

They stopped selling the GPX ZF250, what is a very sad thing otherwise I probably bought another one....

The one in the pic above is the TXM.

The KXM looks much better I think, but we're going beyond affordable here.

http://www.keewaymotor.com/_d275485427.htm

As much as I would love ripping the road open on a motard, I always go back looking at the A100 and I imagine what I would do to it. Sounds quite sexual, but it isn't. ;-)

Still need the challenge...

Edited by OmegaRacer

The one in the pic above is the TXM.

The KXM looks much better I think, but we're going beyond affordable here.

http://www.keewaymotor.com/_d275485427.htm

As much as I would love ripping the road open on a motard, I always go back looking at the A100 and I imagine what I would do to it. Sounds quite sexual, but it isn't. ;-)

Still need the challenge...

Sorry for the confusion, at the moment Keeway Thailand only has the Keeway TXM200 available, the KXM200 will hopefully be sold in Thailand in the near future, but before that months can have passed and at the moment there's no information on what it will cost or when Keeway Thailand will add the KXM200 to the line-up.

The Keeway TXM200 is about 10,000 THB more expensive than the Lifan X-Plorer200 and it comes with 3-years warranty and aluminum-alloy wheels... and if you ride it you will find it's a pretty good bike. On the other hand the Lifan LF200GY-5 X-Plorer200 is also a nice bike...

Edited by Richard-BKK
  • Like 1

And again, you are wrong. There are still tons of parts available for these bikes.

It is called NOS, new old stock. And many parts of these bikes have also been used in other models, no problems finding stock.

Enough online shops in Thailand and Ebay stocking everything you might need.

I know this, because I own a classic bike too and I know where to get parts, fortunately most of these Thai classic bike guys speak some decent English.