Rice Yield per Rai

cdmtdm

Do not even consider growing rice on your land. It is a technique the elite uses to keep people poor. It is one of the lowest profit per rai crops on the planet. Consider exotic fruit, herbs, or anything other than rice. It will keep you poor. It is grown out of habit, and the profit margin is horrendous.

Most of the land around here is land that will only support rice cultivation. Fish ponds are the only alternative, and then you have to practically sleep out there every night to prevent theft.

However we are thinking about bamboo for bamboo shoots next year, we will start on a small scale.

I will be nagging my SIL to plant some kind of nitrogen producing crop in the Spring time, not sure if I will succeed.

"Fish ponds are the only alternative, and then you have to practically sleep out there every night to prevent theft." ... a really good point.

You will live to learn, earn and live your crop ... or lose it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My mother-in-law's crop of jasmine rice in Isaan just tallied up at 6 tonnes for 15 rai. So 400kg per rai. Not great.

She's signed up to the government scheme but saying they are only offering 15baht per kilo, so she's not selling yet. She's blaming the current political goings on.

Can anyone else confirm the 20baht guarantee for jasmine rice isn't happening?

My mother-in-law's crop of jasmine rice in Isaan just tallied up at 6 tonnes for 15 rai. So 400kg per rai. Not great.

She's signed up to the government scheme but saying they are only offering 15baht per kilo, so she's not selling yet. She's blaming the current political goings on.

Can anyone else confirm the 20baht guarantee for jasmine rice isn't happening?

You may have been a little late bringing it in for sale. I could be wrong but I thought the 20 baht offered finished on december 1st. 400kg per rai is a bit low but is what we averaged last year with vey poor rainfall. This it's up to 500kg per rai . My wife did not sign up to the government scheme , our rice was sold in two different batches . First batch straight from the farm after harvest while still wet and received 13baht/ kilo the second batch was dried and received 15baht/ kilo.

• Like 1

You may have been a little late bringing it in for sale. I could be wrong but I thought the 20 baht offered finished on december 1st. 400kg per rai is a bit low but is what we averaged last year with vey poor rainfall. This it's up to 500kg per rai . My wife did not sign up to the government scheme , our rice was sold in two different batches . First batch straight from the farm after harvest while still wet and received 13baht/ kilo the second batch was dried and received 15baht/ kilo.

Thanks. Can anyone else confirm that a deadline has passed for the price from the government rice guarantee scheme?

We're in the UK so it's impossible to keep a track of this stuff.

Will you be dependent on the income from this in the short term? I was thinking that as an experiment, you could try the process called System of Rice Intensification and compare yields with your neighbours.

My wife and I live in the UK. This is my wife's mother's rice harvest. She is not reliant on the money but we have put up the rental cash for the rice farm in the hope her mum would get a small income from it. This is the first year. It's an absolute nightmare trying to prize any information out of her, so we won't be suggesting any kind of experimentation. The whole "investment" is one big experiment!

I'm just trying to get a handle on what price she can expect to get for her jasmine rice and whether she's too late for the 20 baht government guarantee she signed up for.

I know nothing about rice farming but live in a small town with paddy all around.

Someone out there who is involved may be able to answer this for me.

I get around a lot and see farmers getting in crops as fast as possible after harvest, no doubt to take advantage of the Govt scheme.

Previously most of the paddy was sown by seedlings which were grown in small plots then transplanted.

Now most seem to be sown by direct broadcast of the seed into the paddy, probably because it cuts down on labor costs and time between crops.

What I was wondering ; does the transplanting method give better yields or improvement in any other way over the broadcast method ?

I'm just trying to get a handle on what price she can expect to get for her jasmine rice and whether she's too late for the 20 baht government guarantee she signed up for.

Nobody out there got any idea about this?

I know nothing about rice farming but live in a small town with paddy all around.

Someone out there who is involved may be able to answer this for me.

I get around a lot and see farmers getting in crops as fast as possible after harvest, no doubt to take advantage of the Govt scheme.

Previously most of the paddy was sown by seedlings which were grown in small plots then transplanted.

Now most seem to be sown by direct broadcast of the seed into the paddy, probably because it cuts down on labor costs and time between crops.

What I was wondering ; does the transplanting method give better yields or improvement in any other way over the broadcast method ?

Yes. A nursery as my wife call it gives a higher yield per rai BUT its seriously labor intensive and lot of Thais have and are shying away from it due to labor cost.

Its 17 baht not 20 but my wife did get 18.huh.png Your wife has to go to the local mill and ask around our area its over. As for receiving the money its been 3 weeks and my wife is still waiting. wacko.png BAAC is broke and with the problems in Bangkok it does not look good.hit-the-fan.gif

• Like 1

I am not sure why the nursey planting gives a better yield than broadcasting of seed. If the area to be planted is properly prepared, and soaking wet (almost like a bowl of pudding), good seed grain and uniform broadcast should result in little difference. We always checked germanation of any carry over gain to be used and sometimes found it not acceptable. I think this may not be considered in the broadcast system.

I don't have a answer to the difference in yield, just rolling some thoughts around. The rice planting I observed in the US was done by plane so you had the height and speed working to bury the grain in the mud.

Its 17 baht not 20 but my wife did get 18.huh.png Your wife has to go to the local mill and ask around our area its over. As for receiving the money its been 3 weeks and my wife is still waiting. wacko.png BAAC is broke and with the problems in Bangkok it does not look good.hit-the-fan.gif

Thanks for the reply. My wife and I are in the UK - it's her mother selling the rice. I'm out of touch. I had prices for the scheme (from an old link), as 15 baht/kg for white rice and jasmine rice at 20 baht/kg:

http://www.thaigov.go.th/en/news-room/item/61372-rice-mortgage-scheme-to-start-7-october.html

My wife is saying it would be normal to take 1 month to be paid when selling to the government, so your 3 weeks maybe isn't due to any current political problems? Or do you think there's a risk your wife won't be paid at all?!!!!

The mother-in-law has already sold a few bags locally at 12 baht/kg which isn't very good.

We had 15 rai of sticky rice in the Fang area. It grossed 14,000+ kilo, sold at the field. Depends on rice being grown, area, care of growing crop, etc. This area has historcially been a single rice crop area, as there are other crops that supplement their diet/market. potato, cabbage, garlic, onion, etc are winter crops, and then a third planting of choice.

The dry season government water is backed up with a well drilled on parcels of land to ensure a 3 crop potential.

We (or the family)only have 1 rice crop/year so would be interested in more info or suggestions for a winter crop or not.

Water supply is not a problem.

I guess fertilizers come into the equation as you don't want to deplete the soil for next year's rice crop.

I'm no farmer, perhaps you can only expect so much out of one area that you can't rotate and leave fallow?

Maybe you could investigate the possibility of a bean crop that would have the added benefit of adding nitrogen to the soil?

Loong is right, a few years ago round here rice farmers where growing a catch crop of sesame seed, befoer the main rice planting season.Some farmers on very light land did not do so well, others did OK

Another guy after his rice crop grew mung beans ,they do not need a lot of water ,he did OK as they are legumes will put some N back in to the soil.

I do not know about other areas ,round here these are popular crops with a market,would it be the same else where?

• Like 1

Do not even consider growing rice on your land. It is a technique the elite uses to keep people poor. It is one of the lowest profit per rai crops on the planet. Consider exotic fruit, herbs, or anything other than rice. It will keep you poor. It is grown out of habit, and the profit margin is horrendous.

This is absolutely correct.

I've been banging my head against this brick wall for years with mother. Grow anything but rice. Reserve just one of the many, many rai to growing rice for family requirements only, if you really must.

Last year the seedlings were destroyed by heavy winds and rain.

Something the average farmer can not afford without going into debt.

Yep, enough to feed the family and then an alternative but generations of habit are hard to break.

In my area of Isaan there is only 1 crop per year so not best use of the land.

In Bangladesh they easily get 3 rice crops per year but of course they have floods and apart from the water, they have replenished silt deposits with natural nutrients.

I'm no farmer, just observation.

Thanks for the reply. My wife and I are in the UK - it's her mother selling the rice. I'm out of touch. I had prices for the scheme (from an old link), as 15 baht/kg for white rice and jasmine rice at 20 baht/kg:

http://www.thaigov.go.th/en/news-room/item/61372-rice-mortgage-scheme-to-start-7-october.html

My wife is saying it would be normal to take 1 month to be paid when selling to the government, so your 3 weeks maybe isn't due to any current political problems? Or do you think there's a risk your wife won't be paid at all?!!!!

The mother-in-law has already sold a few bags locally at 12 baht/kg which isn't very good.

The BAAC is the government owned bank that all rice payments must come threw, no exception and it is broke or as we would say bankrupt. No body has been paid some as long as 5 weeks. It does not look good.

• Like 1

The BAAC is the government owned bank that all rice payments must come threw, no exception and it is broke or as we would say bankrupt. No body has been paid some as long as 5 weeks. It does not look good.

Thanks khwaibah. I'm guessing that there might be a danger of unscrupulous (or blissfully ingnorant or unaware) officials even now still taking in consignments of rice? Even when no chance of farmers actually being paid at any time. The mother-in-law might be better just sourcing a local buyer then I assume. Despite the low prices. Not good.

[ I should add that she's not sitting waiting on advice or instructions from me, but I'd like to know the situation and just make sure she's on the ball!]

Edited by TCA

This year we made our own organic fertiliser for the rice crop. The harvest is in and finally results known. Yield down about 10% on last year, but still over 500kg per rai and well filled grains. Will be adding more N to the first fertiliser blend next year. Bottom line, heaps of effort making the pellets but half the cost and lessons learnt.

• Like 1

This was released at 3:57 this afternoon. Question WHERE IS THE FARMERS MONEY?wink.pngwhistling.gif

"National Rice Policy Committee approves 2556/2557 (2014/2015) rice release; Govt-to-Govt rice sales hit snag; rice farmers assured of govt payment"
MCOT
Edited by khwaibah

Same Question..WHERE IS THE FARMERS MONEY?wink.pngwhistling.gif

Commerce Min: Payment for rice pledging scheme due soon
ing-default.png
img-calendar.png Date : 11 ธันวาคม 2556
BANGKOK, 11 December 2013 (NNT) - Commerce Minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisal has responded to rice farmers’ complaints over delayed payment from the rice pledging scheme, saying that more funding has been approved.

Mr Niwatthamrong said after a meeting of the National Rice Policy Committee that payments owed from the 2013/2014 main crop are facing delay due to a massive backlog of payments for the year before.

He added that the cabinet has already approved 270 billion baht of budget for the pledging scheme. The second round of rice pledging this year during the off-season harvest will need to be endorsed by the new administration due to be elected next year.

During Wednesday’s meeting, the committee also approved the 2013/2014 rice release in a bid to avoid over-stocking this year.

Rice farmers have threatened to block roads in 26 provinces if the government fails to hand out the money owed for the current harvest season. The Thai Rice Farmers Association president stated that most rice farmers have not been paid since October.

Madam ain't broke though??

Thanks very much for posting the link. I'm up to speed now. News in today that apparently the mother-in-law got in on the last day of the government scheme at 16 baht per kilo but has the option of transferring the debt to a local mill for immediate cash at 15 baht per kilo. She's going to wait it out.......

The approval for the 270 billion was given some time back and it was supposed to be for the 2014 seasons crop and if I read it correctly come from the 2014 year budget.

However approval is completely different from actually giving the money to the bank.

As I posted elsewhere he Govt was going to give the bank 140 billion to pay the present bills but latest I read was that there was some procedural problem that prevented them doing this till February.

The bank then tried to auction 82 billion of bonds at interest rate of more than 4% but it would seem that only 37 billion of the bonds were subscribed to.

What is the old song :

You load buy 16 tons and what do you get another day older and deeper in debt"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Madam ain't broke though??

10 weeks for the wife and over 20 weeks for others. NO PAYMENT. You need to go back and rethink your first sentence.