British police launch manhunt for missing terror suspect

News_Editor

LONDON, ENGLAND (BNO NEWS) -- British police have launched a manhunt for a Somali-born terror suspect who escaped police surveillance by changing into a burka at a mosque in London, officials said on late Sunday evening, appealing for the public's help to find the man.

Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed, 27, was under close police surveillance after being placed under a Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures (TPIM) notice, which may be imposed on individuals when there is a 'reasonable belief' that he or she is or has been involved in terrorism-related activity.

Mohamed is known to have attended the An-Noor Masjid and Community Centre in west London in Western-style clothing at approximately 10 a.m. local time on Friday, and was last seen inside the mosque at 3:15 p.m. He is then believed to have changed into a burka with his face completely covered before leaving the mosque, as was seen on CCTV images.

"The Counter Terrorism Command immediately launched inquiries to trace Mr Mohamed and these continue," said a spokesman for the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS), which is better known as Scotland Yard. "Ports and borders were notified with his photograph and details circulated nationally. Public safety remains our priority."

Few details about the suspect were immediately released, and a court lifted an anonymity order on Saturday to allow police to launch a public appeal for help. It was not disclosed why a TPIM notice had been imposed on Mohamed, who is described as a medium build black male and about 5 foot 8 inches (1.72 meters) tall.

"Mohamed is not considered at this time to represent a direct threat to the public. ... Anyone who sees Mr Mohamed or knows of his whereabouts should not approach him, but call 999 immediately," the police spokesman said, urging anyone with other information about the suspect to call the Anti-Terrorist Hotline.

David Anderson, the UK's Independent Reviewer of Terrorism Legislation, said Mohamed's identity had previously been withheld for his own protection. "The primary intention of TPIMs is to protect the public from the risk posed by persons whom the Home Secretary believes to have engaged in terrorism-related activity, but whom it is feasible neither to prosecute nor to deport," he explained.

Only 9 people, of whom 8 British citizens, were under TPIM notices as of August 31, according to figures from the UK's Home Office. They are subject to a number of requirements, including overnight residence at a specified address, GPS tagging, restrictions or notification requirements concerning travel, movement, association, communication, finances, work and study, and a duty to report daily to the authorities.

(Copyright 2013 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].)

There are thousands like him in the UK. What a nightmare Labour created.

I went back in 2008 for health reasons. I am at an atm, these two somali kids right behind me looking over my shoulder. They were dressed in hip hop crap, huge jewelry on neck and fingers, long shirts with a plastic gun near his ankle (yes, try to imagine that one!).

I went ballistic with them. Told them to eff off. No compatibility with UK culture whatsoever.

Maybe, but hip hop and the associated dress is American.

So, you want to ban American cultural influences from the UK? If so, say 'cash machine' not 'ATM'!

BTW, how did you know they were Somali?

The forehead is a dead giveaway?? Trust me, they were not from Brixton!! Spoke no English, South Harrow, mini Somalia.

I left my country after 6 months, never to return again. It is not mine anymore. Wait till the Bulgarians and Romanians arrive in January. God help the local folks living there.

I bitch and complain about Thailand, but it is 100 times better than there. (Except that I do miss the rule of law).

I see, you judged them purely on their appearance, even though they were dressed in an American style, and that they were talking to each other in a language other than English.

Forehead a dead give away? How so? Did they have "I am Somalian" tattooed on their foreheads?

As you are so quick to judge by appearance you would presumably be happy were you ever branded a sex tourist by those who see you in Thailand, dressed as a European and speaking English to your English friends.

I bet the police who were charged with closely following him can hardly show their faces in public... Hang on.

P.S Could hardly be a more timely argument for outlawing face coverings.

It's not as if this is even the first such case. Last year another terror suspect, Ibrahim Magag, absconded under similar conditions to Mohamed and still has not been found. facepalm.gif alt=facepalm.gif>

Outlawing all face coverings, maybe; though a bit extreme. But just one type of face covering; ridiculous.

Lots of criminals have escaped or absconded from police custody, let alone police surveillance, using a disguise. Most of them, though, are not Muslim terrorist suspects.

I bet the police who were charged with closely following him can hardly show their faces in public... Hang on.

P.S Could hardly be a more timely argument for outlawing face coverings.

It's not as if this is even the first such case. Last year another terror suspect, Ibrahim Magag, absconded under similar conditions to Mohamed and still has not been found. facepalm.gif alt=facepalm.gif>

Outlawing all face coverings, maybe; though a bit extreme. But just one type of face covering; ridiculous.

Lots of criminals have escaped or absconded from police custody, let alone police surveillance, using a disguise. Most of them, though, are not Muslim terrorist suspects.

Where did I write just Burkas should be banned? I will reiterate what I wrote in a recent out of the box thread;- All face coverings in public should be banned, with the possible exception of Chinese dragons and pantomime horses. Secondly, yes a lot of criminals have indeed escaped police monitoring using a disguise, but I'll venture that it's long odds to find Hare Krishnas, Jains or indeed anyone apart from Muslims evading surveillance by leaving a Mosque wearing a burkha.

Lastly, what is ridiculous is having let one terrorist suspect escape using a Burka proceeding to let another one go, who is wanted for questioning over the murder of 83 people in a Nairobi mall.

• Like 1