How To Save 1000's Bht Buying Car Or Bike

Hi, I posted on the Drivers licence section that I did not need a letter from my home Embassy to obtain my Motorcycle and Car Drivers Licences as a letter from the local Amphur Muang was sufficient.

Today I bought a motorcycle with the same form.

I checked again with my local Dept of Land and Transport and they said they were perfectly happy to accept this form as proof of residence.

No need again for a trip to BKK for an expensive piece of paper with all the frustration and waiting that goes with it.

Cost of the form from the Amphur was 100 BHT, an absolute bargain I reckon.

Hope this helps, Andy.

Likewise, I posted that to buy a new motorcycle, all I needed was a letter from Immigraton Police, which cost a couple of hundred baht total. Never went to my consulate/embassy. All I showed the imm. police was my passport, visa, and rental contract.

Last year I paid 200 Baht for a letter from immigration in Pattaya I was asked if it was for a car or motorbike licence. I told her it was for both so I was given two letters, so 400 Baht for the two. I read somewhere that a photocopy would do the job so I really only needed one letter. Oh well, such is life! lol

Last year I paid 200 Baht for a letter from immigration in Pattaya I was asked if it was for a car or motorbike licence. I told her it was for both so I was given two letters, so 400 Baht for the two. I read somewhere that a photocopy would do the job so I really only needed one letter. Oh well, such is life! lol

Your absolutely correct. In Pattaya you can get one letter and make a copy.

Barry

Immigration letter confirming residence, is not free on Samui 500.00 Baht a time. Can only use original.

In Chiang Khan Immigration Office , Loei. residency letters are Free, same as they should be everywhere else

Immigration letter confirming residence, is not free on Samui 500.00 Baht a time. Can only use original.

In Chiang Khan Immigration Office , Loei. residency letters are Free, same as they should be everywhere else

Letters can't be older then 3 months.Most immigration officers here are nice,it's a proper typed letter.

I guess the money goes towards their ???????? as no receipt is ever issued.

Barry

................................................................................

I needed 2 letters for (1) To purchase a new car (2) To get a Thai driving licence.

N.Khai ( The Aek Udon sub office. ) issued one original and one photo copy but with an original Im.stamp on it along with an original signature across it.

Total cost was ZERO and the officer was as courteous as always. :o:D:D

I asked about a payment by the way and he said it,s a free service, no problem.

Marshbags :D:D:D

Edited by marshbags

Barry

................................................................................

I needed 2 letters for (1) To purchase a new car (2) To get a Thai driving licence.

N.Khai ( The Aek Udon sub office. ) issued one original and one photo copy but with an original Im.stamp on it along with an original signature across it.

Total cost was ZERO and the officer was as courteous as always. :o:D:D

I asked about a payment by the way and he said it,s a free service, no problem.

Marshbags :D:D:D

Ok Ok you got me.But I have a color copier & the one I sent to BKK was just that & they didn't flinch.

Can't you just show them something with your address on it?

I showed my work permit, which didn't even have my address, but my works one.

My guess is that it's up to the officer. My rental contract was written in Thai, but it was clearly a six month local condo rental, with the address clear. I suspect the officer is validating that you reside in that area. I've heard some folks get their landlady to write something in Thai like "Gene Farang lives here at my place," along with a copy of her Thai ID, of course.

• 7 months later...

That 200 bht letter of residence (in pattaya) is actualy free, having needed it on countless times over the years and being told on many ocations from farang in the know its free, I decided to find out for sure, I went right to the top at their then soi 8 office and sure enougth its free, the 200/500 bht is a con, I was charged 200 on one of my last visits and the main man was not avalible, the girl said her normal line, it was free before but now you pay, I replied ok I'll pay you but will come back tomarow for the return of the 200 bht, next day on my return the second in command a midle aged lady saw me come into the office and swiftly gave me back my 200 bht,

I know what some of you are thinking, why worry its only 200 bht, sure I agree its not going to wipe me out finantialy, but why pay for something that is free, your just being conned, robbed blind, if you don't mind that then fair enougth it's your choice but to those that would prefere not to be taken in the choice not to pay it is there, if you choose not to pay and tell the normal girl thats there that you know the letter is free she will simply say, ok if you no want pay no problem !

Can't you just show them something with your address on it?

I showed my work permit, which didn't even have my address, but my works one.

Yes, quite so and easy. I have no idea whether these guys are long-stayers here trying to stay on tourist visas or what, but all you need to buy (even finance, as I did with 3 vehicles so far) is your passport, Work Permit (as it shows company address) ... but if you have a Yellow Tabien Ban, it's quicker. Although, Thailand does not recognize it as a "permanent" document for your residence, oddly enough, so when you go to switch from the Red tabien to the White Tabien, they will ask for the Work Permit again.

I have no idea why anyone is going to an Embassy to get letters or bothering with Immigration. Senseless.

I even bought my house, financed by Land & House Bank for 8.3 million baht (20% down, altho usually they will ask a foreigner for 30% down per MOF guidelines) with just my Tabien Ban, Passport, and Work Permit. And, that is a big purchase compared to a small vehicle which can be written off easily by the bank.

Hello all,

I read this topic with great interest, and maybe some of you can help me out with a few questions:

I moved to Thailand last month, but currently stay on a tourist visa. I am married to a thai here in Thailand, and the reason I do not have a ´wife visa´yet is, that I plan to import my belongings at a later time, and therefore the moving company instructed me not to get the ´wife visa´yet, not until I am ready to do the import.

I am retired now and receive pension from my home country.

Ok, now the questions:

I would like to buy a car now , do you think I can do that by getting a document from the local amphur ?

Also I would like to have a thai driver´s license, at present I have my national license + international licence, can I use a document from amphur for that purpose too ?

Or, can I go to immigration and get a document there?

Any help appreciated.

North :o

Maybe my situation was different because I own a condo. I didn't have to go to my embassy for anything. I got the document I needed from Pattaya immigration. It seemed quite cut and dried with no hassle at all. The permanent address was the key. If your girlfriend has house papers she could go with you to verify the address.