Miss Pronunciation of Pattaya

merlen10002

Now I get it - you're a teacher. If I'd known that at the start I wouldn't have bothered. There's nothing worse than trying to argue with teachers as they know it all. (and by all accounts you're a lousy one too)

Yup, the army gave me my first opportunity to teach in South East Asia and after that I went to school on the GI bill and then taught handicapped children.

It's never too late to go to back to school. Just get up and brush that chip off your shoulder and go back to school and make something of yourself. Good luck, heck at least you know how to pronounce Pattaya!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, the army gave me my first opportunity to teach in South East Asia and after that I went to school on the GI bill and then taught handicapped children.

It's never too late to go to back to school. Just get up and brush that chip off your shoulder and go back to school and make something of yourself. Good luck, heck at least you know how to pronounce Pattaya!

Seriously mate, if either us requires good luck to survive in Pattaya, it's you.

Seriously mate, if either us requires good luck to survive in Pattaya, it's you.

I said nothing about survival. The first time I visited Pattaya was in 1968. Now I go occasionally to shop but I wouldn't live there anymore.

I said nothing about survival. The first time I visited Pattaya was in 1968. Now I go occasionally to shop but I wouldn't live there anymore.

OK, so now you volunteer that you don't live in Pattaya, and dislike it, yet you presume to tell permanent residents how they should say the name... people who have lived here a long time.

I'd say you have some serious issues mate... Why not take it up with the local English TV and radio stations who also "Englishize" the name because they are the ones with a big influence on how visitors pronounce the name. Mention that 36 Thai language instructors insist that they are wrong and that they offend you and all other native Thai speakers with their ignorance. While you're at it, determine if some other nationalities need an education and offer your services.

For example, how do Russians pronounce Pattaya? I haven't taken any notice because I don't care one way or another. Do you know?

How do the Chinese pronounce it? How do the Arabs and Indians do it? etc etc

As a pronunciation Nazi, surely you have much work ahead to pull the expat and tourist community into line. Perhaps some brochures educating new visitors could be start in the right direction.

OK, so now you volunteer that you don't live in Pattaya, and dislike it, yet you presume to tell permanent residents how they should say the name... people who have lived here a long time.

I'd say you have some serious issues mate... Why not take it up with the local English TV and radio stations who also "Englishize" the name because they are the ones with a big influence on how visitors pronounce the name. Mention that 36 Thai language instructors insist that they are wrong and that they offend you and all other native Thai speakers with their ignorance. While you're at it, determine if some other nationalities need an education and offer your services.

For example, how do Russians pronounce Pattaya? I haven't taken any notice because I don't care one way or another. Do you know?

How do the Chinese pronounce it? How do the Arabs and Indians do it? etc etc

As a pronunciation Nazi, surely you have much work ahead to pull the expat and tourist community into line. Perhaps some brochures educating new visitors could be start in the right direction.

I don't know for sure but chances are I got to Pattaya before you were born. I lived in Pattaya in the golden years when it was a barrel of fun every day I got out when it was not. In total I would say I lived in Pattaya about 5 years. But it only took me a minute to learn how to pronounce the name of the town.

You mention how other ethnic groups pronounce Pattaya like that makes some difference. Pattaya is a Thai word. Pronounce it like Thais and you are correct.

Living in a country and not speaking the language is terrible handicap. I got out of Pattaya because I can function in the nicer parts of Thailand and I enjoy the deferential treatment a Farang gets who speaks Thai.

You and every other ethnic minority can pronounce Pattaya incorrectly all day long. I don't care. It is just one word that is added to every other word pronounced incorrectly that gives Thai people an impression of you as a man who is too pompous to learn the language of the country he lives in.

Thais appreciate a Farang who tries to learn the language (exception fraudsters).

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

I don't know for sure but chances are I got to Pattaya before you were born. I lived in Pattaya in the golden years when it was a barrel of fun every day I got out when it was not. In total I would say I lived in Pattaya about 5 years. But it only took me a minute to learn how to pronounce the name of the town.

You mention how other ethnic groups pronounce Pattaya like that makes some difference. Pattaya is a Thai word. Pronounce it like Thais and you are correct.

Living in a country and not speaking the language is terrible handicap. I got out of Pattaya because I can function in the nicer parts of Thailand and I enjoy the deferential treatment a Farang gets who speaks Thai.

You and every other ethnic minority can pronounce Pattaya incorrectly all day long. I don't care. It is just one word that is added to every other word pronounced incorrectly that gives Thai people an impression of you as a man who is too pompous to learn the language of the country he lives in.

Thais appreciate a Farang who tries to learn the language (exception fraudsters).

(Obviously when you were young everywhere was fun - that a ridiculous comment used in an effort to suggest that Pattaya was better 40 years ago... or were you still an old man in 1968)

I've got news for you buddy. I like Pattaya the way it is, that's why I live here. I wouldn't live anywhere else in Thailand. I'm not concerned about what it was like 40 years ago. All places change and popular ones very rapidly.

Pattaya used to be a Thai word until Pattaya became a very busy tourist resort city, now it's an international word with all it's various flavours and there's nothing language Nazis can do to change that.

Times have changed. Stop living in the past.

Take your superior language speaking skills back to whatever village you call home and where people may care.

They don't care here - but you wouldn't know that because you don't live here.

Edited by tropo

(Obviously when you were young everywhere was fun - that a ridiculous comment used in an effort to suggest that Pattaya was better 40 years ago... or were you still an old man in 1968)

I've got news for you buddy. I like Pattaya the way it is, that's why I live here. I wouldn't live anywhere else in Thailand. I'm not concerned about what it was like 40 years ago. All places change and popular ones very rapidly.

Pattaya used to be a Thai word until Pattaya became a very busy tourist resort city, now it's an international word with all it's various flavours and there's nothing language Nazis can do to change that.

Times have changed. Stop living in the past.

Take your superior language speaking skills back to whatever village you call home and where people may care.

They don't care here - but you wouldn't know that because you don't live here.

Things have changed a lot in Pattaya. The food is better now and the shopping is better now. The name of the town is still the same. International or not Pattaya is still Pattaya. It is not a two word town like Paris.

I remember sitting in the hospital listening to a nurse talk to her patient and the lady asking the nurse not to tell her boyfriend sitting next to her that she was HIV positive. Memorial hospital Pattaya. But I guess you are right, no reason for a Farang to speak Thai in Pattaya.

I call Myanmar, Burma and Ho Chi Minh city, Saigon to upset the commies. I do it on purpose. But I really don't know any city that has changed how to pronounce it's name. Do you know of any? I know you think Pattaya has but that is nonsense. Do you know of any other to support your position or does Pattaya stand alone in this respect?

Just to restate the issue. You know how to pronounce Pattaya correctly and I know how to pronounce Pattaya correctly but you don't because your mates pronounce it differently.

Edited by thailiketoo

Things have changed a lot in Pattaya. The food is better now and the shopping is better now. The name of the town is still the same. International or not Pattaya is still Pattaya. It is not a two word town like Paris.

I remember sitting in the hospital listening to a nurse talk to her patient and the lady asking the nurse not to tell her boyfriend sitting next to her that she was HIV positive. Memorial hospital Pattaya. But I guess you are right, no reason for a Farang to speak Thai in Pattaya.

I call Myanmar, Burma and Ho Chi Minh city, Saigon to upset the commies. I do it on purpose. But I really don't know any city that has changed how to pronounce it's name. Do you know of any? I know you think Pattaya has but that is nonsense. Do you know of any other to support your position or does Pattaya stand alone in this respect?

Just to restate the issue. You know how to pronounce Pattaya correctly and I know how to pronounce Pattaya correctly but you don't because your mates pronounce it differently.

If I met you in person, I'd make a point of pronouncing Pattaya as un-Thai as possible, just to piss you off. I'd say it even worse than I already do. biggrin.png

You really need to stop restating issues as the issue was clear from the very first post.

I'll tell you something which you obviously don't know as you don't live here. Pattaya Memorial and all the other major hospitals have English speaking staff and most doctors are not bad in English too. Pattaya Memorial hires Filipino staff for that express purpose. The major hotels do not hire staff unless they speak English fairly well. That's a prerequisite of getting a job. Russian speaking is becoming more and more common in major establishments.

It ain't 1968 no more - get over it. This town is about money, not Thai culture. You want respect - show them the money.

Obviously you're better off in your one-horse town than here in Pattaya. Please stay there.

Edited by tropo

If I met you in person, I'd make a point of pronouncing Pattaya as un-Thai as possible, just to piss you off. I'd say it even worse than I already do. biggrin.png

You really need to stop restating issues as the issue was clear from the very first post.

I'll tell you something which you obviously don't know as you don't live here. Pattaya Memorial and all the other major hospitals have English speaking staff and most doctors are not bad in English too. Pattaya Memorial hires Filipino staff for that express purpose. The major hotels do not hire staff unless they speak English fairly well. That's a prerequisite of getting a job. Russian speaking is becoming more and more common in major establishments.

It ain't 1968 no more - get over it. This town is about money, not Thai culture. You want respect - show them the money.

Obviously you're better off in your one-horse town than here in Pattaya. Please stay there.

I spent a couple of nights in Pattaya (LK Metropole) very recently and the hotel maids all spoke Burmese; very little Thai and very little English. Should not try to fool a player.

All the hospitals in Pattaya speak Thai: that was my point. The nurse and patient were having a conversation in Thai that the clueless Farang would have known he was at risk if he spoke Thai. His GF got a big smile on her face and they left the hospital. The nurse was under no obligation to give the Farang an English translation of his GF's HIV test.

You are right Pattaya is about money. You want to get ripped off, don't speak Thai and you'll have a big head start.

There are people who adapt to Thailand speak the language and understand the culture and those that don't. Thai Visa has a lot that don't. They have problems.

You conform to Thai culture every day you are in Thailand. You get a visa and observe Thai rules of decorum when at the immigration office and on and on. You eat Thai food and drink Thai water and use a Thai sewage system.

You are reaping the benefit of the Australian soldiers who first put Pattaya on the map. Have some respect for your elders.

I spent a couple of nights in Pattaya (LK Metropole) very recently and the hotel maids all spoke Burmese; very little Thai and very little English. Should not try to fool a player.

All the hospitals in Pattaya speak Thai: that was my point. The nurse and patient were having a conversation in Thai that the clueless Farang would have known he was at risk if he spoke Thai. His GF got a big smile on her face and they left the hospital. The nurse was under no obligation to give the Farang an English translation of his GF's HIV test.

You are right Pattaya is about money. You want to get ripped off, don't speak Thai and you'll have a big head start.

There are people who adapt to Thailand speak the language and understand the culture and those that don't. Thai Visa has a lot that don't. They have problems.

You conform to Thai culture every day you are in Thailand. You get a visa and observe Thai rules of decorum when at the immigration office and on and on. You eat Thai food and drink Thai water and use a Thai sewage system.

You are reaping the benefit of the Australian soldiers who first put Pattaya on the map. Have some respect for your elders.

I do not get ripped off anywhere, Thai or no Thai. You get to know the ropes when you've been here a while, however I shop in supermarkets mainly where everything is marked. That's not because I'm worried about getting ripped off - I just don't enjoy markets.

oh, yeah - I don't eat much Thai food. That's another reason I enjoy Pattaya.

As I said, things have changed a lot since 1968, so get with it and update your attitude.

I do not get ripped off anywhere, Thai or no Thai. You get to know the ropes when you've been here a while, however I shop in supermarkets mainly where everything is marked. That's not because I'm worried about getting ripped off - I just don't enjoy markets.

oh, yeah - I don't eat much Thai food. That's another reason I enjoy Pattaya.

As I said, things have changed a lot since 1968, so get with it and update your attitude.

All the food you eat is Thai food except that imported from Australia or NZ.... Chicken, however cooked, is Thai chicken. French fries are Thai potatoes. Water is Thai water. Fish and chips in Thailand is Thai fish and Thai chips. The Thai food starts at a Thai market and the supermarket buyer buys it and packages it, raises the prices and sells it to you.

I didn't live in Pattaya in 1968. Not where the action was. I lived there later on.

bangkok and krung thep sound nothing alike. I just put it down to my Australian accent

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

So what are the two ways to pronounce Pattaya that compare to Bangkok and Krung Thep?