Miss Pronunciation of Pattaya

merlen10002

Why do many Farangs miss pronounce Pattaya, many pronounce it Pet- tie-ya or Pay-tay-ya or Pie-tire ya, when it is Pat as in pat the dog, Pat-ta-ya , there is a song anyone can buy at any music shop about Pattaya and it is Pat - ta -ya, , or any Thai person can pronounce it for you, the BBC news this morning got it right with the news about the boat sinking in Pattaya and CNN got it wrong, most Americans do get it wrong.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this was a thread about ladyboy beauty pageants. sad.png

Though I do agree that the number of different ways Pattaya is mispronounced is quite remarkable. It's not even unusual to hear it pronounced different ways in consecutive ads on the same local radio or TV station, or even by the same person.

Why do many Farangs miss pronounce Pattaya, many pronounce it Pet- tie-ya or Pay-tay-ya or Pie-tire ya, when it is Pat as in pat the dog, Pat-ta-ya , there is a song anyone can buy at any music shop about Pattaya and it is Pat - ta -ya, , or any Thai person can pronounce it for you, the BBC news this morning got it right with the news about the boat sinking in Pattaya and CNN got it wrong, most Americans do get it wrong.

Heck most Americans thank that New Mexico is a foreign country..FACT!!

• Like 2

Best one I heard was.....

"Where are you going for your holiday?"

Answer came back, "bang cock & <deleted>*k it"

Of course they meant bangkok & phuket, although the first one was probably more accurate for there activities!

How do you the hell do you misspell mispronunciation, OP ? Besides, everyone knows its pronounced 'Dis-ney-land', <deleted> ! ;)

The only incorrect pronunciation I've heard is from Poms routinely pronouncing it as 'Papaya' with a 't' - they do it in their docos and they do it from the moment they get off the plane. You've all heard Thais pronounce it - their country, their language, their town - I follow that pronunciation to the letter. Sure, they mispronounce a host of English words and proper names (try 'Alex' ..), but I'm confident that they know how to pronounce the names of their own towns, particularly when its pronounced exactly the same way by southern Thais in Chumphon, Trat and Koh Chang.

I might know diddly about Thailand, but at least I can pronounce Disneyland the same way the locals do.

• Like 1

You get it wrong too, it's not pat as in pat the dog, the first syllable rhymes with cut.

Perhaps put, as in golf would have been a more fitting example.

But then again, maybe the OP comes from Yorkshire, in which case his example would be correct because a yorkshireman would pronounce "pat the dog" as we would pronounce put/cut in correct English. smile.png

But you are correct. The pronunciation is (using oxford English):

Put (as in golf)

tar (as in tar the road, but almost verging on saying the word "tare") and no stress on the syllable as many Falang do.

yaar (as in yar), but spoken with a long "a". This syllable should be in a lower tone than the first two.

If you want to hear a Thai saying it properly, go here: http://www.thai-language.com/id/13258

But if you pronounce it properly most Falang give you a dodgy look.

Otherwise, enjoy your night in Paddya.

Oh - and OP, I think the song you're referring to is sung by a Falang called Lou Depryck. He's a Belgian, which probably explains why he can't pronounce it properly.

Edited by Gsxrnz

No way in hell is that first syllable remotely like 'putt' as in golf. It's Pat-tay-ya, but a TV'er who speak Thai can surely confirm that by posting the Thai script and the way each particle is pronounced in the Thai language. Easy.

No putt. No tie. They turned a fishing village into an amusement park, not a country club.

Using PUTT as in golf is the closest way to describe it for the English ear. Phat with a high tone is probably a better transliteration but that would probably cause more confusion. The ability to read Thai doesn't give anybody an advantage in saying it as a native.

Otherwise it's just semantics.

Pattaya (Thai: พัทยา, 11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png พัทยา (help·info), RTGS: Phatthaya, Thai pronunciation: [pʰát.tʰā.jāː])

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/Th-pattaya.ogg

Muich close to 'Pad-Tai-Yar' to my ears than 'Putt-Tai-Yar' ...

Our ears come from a different side of the ditch I think.

พอแล้ว coffee1.gif

You get it wrong too, it's not pat as in pat the dog, the first syllable rhymes with cut.

Perhaps put, as in golf would have been a more fitting example.

But then again, maybe the OP comes from Yorkshire, in which case his example would be correct because a yorkshireman would pronounce "pat the dog" as we would pronounce put/cut in correct English. smile.png

But you are correct. The pronunciation is (using oxford English):

Put (as in golf)

tar (as in tar the road, but almost verging on saying the word "tare") and no stress on the syllable as many Falang do.

yaar (as in yar), but spoken with a long "a". This syllable should be in a lower tone than the first two.

If you want to hear a Thai saying it properly, go here: http://www.thai-language.com/id/13258

But if you pronounce it properly most Falang give you a dodgy look.

Otherwise, enjoy your night in Paddya.

Oh - and OP, I think the song you're referring to is sung by a Falang called Lou Depryck. He's a Belgian, which probably explains why he can't pronounce it properly.

"put tar yar" sounds like pirate talk - yar!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...