18 Thai university rectors issue statement against amnesty bill

webfact

18 university rectors issue statement against amnesty bill
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Council of University Presidents of Thailand (CUPT) Monday issued a statement against the amnesty bill, saying it would set a bad precedent for future rulings on corruption.

The statement expressed concern that the amnesty bill would jeopardise the anti-corruption campaigns that the CUPT has been leading among university students because those convicted or accused in corruption cases would be whitewashed by the bill.

In the statement, they said this amnesty bill runs against the law and sent a wrong message that corruption is excusable.

They added that it would derail Thailand’s efforts to eradicate corruption.

"The amnesty bill … will set a wrong moral standard in Thai society because it will cause a misunderstanding that corruption is not a serious crime and those who commit it will eventually be absolved in an amnesty," the statement said.

"The CUPT feels that the campaigns against corruption are important and has launched the 'university graduates must not cheat' programme. The programme has been promoted throughout this year and it will be successful only when there are good examples that wrongdoers will be punished without being absolved.

The statement was signed by the rectors of

Thammasat University, Srinakharinwirot University, Walailak University, Suranaree University, National Institute of Development Administration, Sukhothai Thammathirat University, Khon Kaen University, Chiang Mai University, King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi, Nakhon Phanom University, Mahasarkham University, Maejo University, Silpakorn University, Prince of Songkhla University, Chulalongkorn University, Thaksin University, Prince Narathiwat University, Mahidol University, and Burapha University.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-04

Joint university statement against bill signed by 25 rectors now

BANGKOK: -- The number of university rectors who signed the joint statement of Council of University Presidents of Thailand (CUPT) rose to 25.

The statement was initially signed by 18 rectors but later Monday, the CUPT announced that the number rose to 25.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-04

The last time Uni students got together to protest against a government in a big way things got very, very ugly. Let's hope that PT realises it's mistake and scuttles this ridiculous bill before then.

• Like 1

Thammasat academics and students declare opposition to amnesty bill
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thammasat lecturers, officials and students have officially declared their opposition to the Amnesty bill and called on the senate to reject it.

The university collected 682 signatures on Sunday alone in reaffirming it stand against the bill.

Rector Somkit Lertpaithoon said the bill should only benefit people who took part in the political rallies and not those in government or who are involved in corruption cases.

He added the bill is unconstitutional because it appeared to pardon politicians who had committed illegal acts.

A total of 636 Thammasat lecturers and 46 of the university's employees signed the petition. Somkit said university’s alumni will gather at the statue of university founder Pridi Banomyong on this Thursday. They will file a petition with the president of the Senate.

The university could serve as a stage for discussions on the Amnesty bill.

Chalisa Thammawong, chairman of Thammasat Students' organisation, said that while they recognise the importance of an amnesty, the bill should cover only ordinary people and not include politicians, Government staff, protest leaders, those accused by Assets Examination Committee (AEC) or organisations set up after the Coup.

She added that the student organisation and student council were calling instead for the original bill to be considered with amnesty bill only applicable to people who took part in the political rally.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-04

The rector from Thaksin University signed the anti-amnesty statement? Did he check with Dubai first or is he looking for a new job?

Nothing to do with the malefactor.

Thaksin University (Thai: มหาวิทยาลัยทักษิณ, translating to "University of the South"), is a public university in Songkhla established on September 1, 1996. The university name was granted by a Royal Decree off HM the King, who graciously granted the university the name of Thaksin, meaning “southern”. The aim of the university is encourage and preserve the culture of Southern Thailand. Spelled the same way as the perp in Thai, though...

• Like 1

Universities endorsing or opposing legislation that has little to do with education is an extremely bad idea. Getting involved in politics as an institution does not further their mission or benefit their students. Faculty members and students have every right to take whatever stance they feel appropriate and should be politically active and engaged, acting independently of the university. Institutions of higher learning as a whole should be above such things and should realize that there is little good that can come of taking a stance one way or another on such legislation as an institution.

I agree entirely that academics and students need to be active and engaged in politics. I firmly disagree that a university rector should make a decision to support or oppose any legislation on behalf of what is a large and diverse community of students, faculty, and alumni. I find it completely disgusting and am shocked that so many think it is appropriate.

How does a university taking an official position as an institution help in developing an open and thoughtful discourse on the subject? It's great for those who sit on their hands and wait for others to tell them what they should think but certainly doesn't create the right environment for learning about the issue and developing ones own opinion when the institution has already endorsed a particular position. Remember, Thai culture places huge emphasis on the group, on adhering to the norms within your group. My school hosted debates, invited politicians to speak, included multiple political clubs, and generally gave the students the resources we needed to learn about the issues and make our own decisions (though we were likely more politically active than the typical Thai student). The school would never have presumed to speak on our behalf regarding anything other than laws that were directly related to education.

I agree entirely that academics and students need to be active and engaged in politics. I firmly disagree that a university rector should make a decision to support or oppose any legislation on behalf of what is a large and diverse community of students, faculty, and alumni. I find it completely disgusting and am shocked that so many think it is appropriate.

How does a university taking an official position as an institution help in developing an open and thoughtful discourse on the subject? It's great for those who sit on their hands and wait for others to tell them what they should think but certainly doesn't create the right environment for learning about the issue and developing ones own opinion when the institution has already endorsed a particular position. Remember, Thai culture places huge emphasis on the group, on adhering to the norms within your group. My school hosted debates, invited politicians to speak, included multiple political clubs, and generally gave the students the resources we needed to learn about the issues and make our own decisions (though we were likely more politically active than the typical Thai student). The school would never have presumed to speak on our behalf regarding anything other than laws that were directly related to education.

On issues of politics I think you are absolutely right, rectors have no place taking sides. This to me is not a political issue, even though politicians are heavily involved in it, it's an issue of rule of law, justice and human rights.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

On issues of politics I think you are absolutely right, rectors have no place taking sides. This to me is not a political issue, even though politicians are heavily involved in it, it's an issue of rule of law, justice and human rights.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And the rectors have the human right to express their opinions blink.png. Just because they express their opinion it doesn't mean it's shared by all the students, faculty etc. Which other citizens do you think "have no place taking sides." ?

If a school's official mission statement says it is about democracy and social justice .... The school and its founders have made the initial statement years or decades ago. They are merely affirming that this is one of those issues.

The fact that so many top ranked schools are stepping up is encouraging.

Universities endorsing or opposing legislation that has little to do with education is an extremely bad idea. Getting involved in politics as an institution does not further their mission or benefit their students. Faculty members and students have every right to take whatever stance they feel appropriate and should be politically active and engaged, acting independently of the university. Institutions of higher learning as a whole should be above such things and should realize that there is little good that can come of taking a stance one way or another on such legislation as an institution.

Totally wrong.

Read the Op - given the all pervading corruption in Thailand, the Unis are trying to get a non-corrupt message through to their students - a very difficult task (yes, they should tackle paid for seats too).

The amnesty bill just reinforces corruption and an abdication of the basic rule of law. It also provides an awful precedent for criminals, knowing that they can get away with anything, given their contacts.

Even ignoring the political issue, the Red Bull heir's case just demonstrates the dire state of the Thai legal & justice 'systems'. Anyone who is prepared to stand up for the rule of law should be praised.

I will ask how they allocated the contract to run the conference centre at one of these universities.

I think they should get a non corrupt message through to their colleagues and faculty members too.

To those up there who asked me, do you think if these guys were on the inside of the red side, they would be complaining?

I think this statement should come with a disclaimer. "The views expressed are those of the individual and do not represent the views of the university".

They should be very very careful about getting dragged into this at a professional level.

Thai academics sign a protest against the proposed Amnesty Bill whilst three of the largest business groups have come out and publicly stated 'The time is not yet right to oppose it', to the consternation of the ACT, I might add.

Edited by jpeg

I agree wholeheartedly.

As a professor employed by one of these institutions, I resent them using the school's name, and thus "speaking for all of us" in this highly-charged and and politically-divisive debate. I assure you: our particular rector speaks for less than the majority of his subordinates.

Their high-handed behavior flies on the face of true academic freedom and discourse as should be expected from institutions of higher learning. It also is symptomatic of a sick and inferior academic environment where the country's "best" institutions can be found so low in every international ranking of tertiary institutions.

Culturally speaking, this is just another typical example of how those in positions of power and influence in a hierarchical society attempt to run roughshod over those whom they deem unworthy to speak for themselves.

Sent from my tin can via string.